Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

How water resistant are Citroen remote keys?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 15 2010, 08:04pm

Member No: #1
Well I was doing some work in the garden today and had some bags to take to the local recycling centre so had the car keys in my pocket.

Put a cover in the car boot and loaded the bags. I was covered in mud as the garden is still rather damp so took my trousers off in the garage and popped them straight in the washing machine with my old Citroen Rugby shirt (1 hour 10 minutes at 40c on a basic wash and rinse cycle with a 1400 rpm spin if anyone really wants to know)

Got changed to drive the car to the recycling centre and couldn't find my keys...........

Yep, they were still in my work pants pocket in the washing machine

Nothing I could do and thought it was going to be an expensive mistake as the remote keys aren't cheap.

Dug out the spare key and went out feeling rather tetchy and dumped the rubbish.

When the machine was finished the wash cycle I extracted the keys with dread and opened up the remote case and it appeared dry, but took out the battery anyway plus the printed circuit board and dried them with tissue just to make sure there was no moisture

Then with a heavy heart went out to the car

Lo and behold, the remote popped the locks so I put the key in the ignition and tried to start the car, expecting the immobiliser to fail, but no, the car started OK

To say I was relieved would be an understatement.

Just don't follow my example guys and try this at home, you may not be so lucky (unless you have a Bosch washing machine).
Website
michaelb   
Mon Mar 15 2010, 09:37pm
Member No: #14
That is a luuuuuuuuuucky escape

It's surprising how many electronics get tested this way. Cups of tea over laptops are very common. The mistake many make is trying them before drying them. Glad to hear yours survived the test
tonyrome   
Mon Mar 15 2010, 09:50pm
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
the remote keys aren't cheap

Approximately 120 EUR, including programming.
Tjensen   
Fri Jul 12 2019, 03:16pm
Member No: #954
My remote survived the washing machine (new battery needed). But swimming in the ocean was a bit worse. After lots of CRC 2-26 and a new battery, the car starts with the key, but no response when locking/opening. Can the key being saved ? Can the other key be used for copying into a new one ? Or is Citroen service and a new key the only way ?
MGmike   
Fri Jul 12 2019, 07:12pm
Member No: #3151
tonyrome wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...
the remote keys aren't cheap

Approximately 120 EUR, including programming.

Nah £14.10 (15 euro?) + programming
- Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club