C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: Members Get Togethers and Events

Visit to BL Autos

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Sun Mar 11 2012, 07:19pm
Member No: #82
On Sat I went to BL Autos to let Robert change the gearbox oil on my 70k box.

Shaun said he would pop down for a chat so I left Maidenhead at 8.30 on a sunny Saturday and cruised over.

Well, what a great morning! It was brilliant to meet Shaun again and Rob (previously met at C6 meet)but I was also welcomed by a whole bunch of guys who were very welcoming and happy to show off their amazing cars.

After a good poke around the shop and some snaps I was shown around the storage garage containing some amazing cars (LOVED the 16V BX).

Shaun let me drive his 3L converted Xantia Activa. What a great car, a complete 'sleeper'.. and the suspension is superb. Looking forward to driving my friends this summer.

I can't remember the name of the chap who then threw me the keys to a flawless light silver SM.. was it even his?! But what an experience. I loved everything about it. I was nervous at first, but found the steering became very natural after a few mins. I was thrown a little by the road positioning of a LHD car though. The aforementioned chap who let me drive was hilarious too, a real character... constantly encouraging me to go for it. Very trusting and great fun.

I'll go back and change the oil one more time in about 1000 miles so I'll say in advance, if you're reading this, get the BX and CX out ready!!!

Thanks for a brilliant morning. I could have stayed there all day!

Pics are here: - Click Here -

P.S apologies for forgetting the names... it was all too much to handle!
Chevrons   
Sun Mar 11 2012, 07:31pm
Member No: #85
He 'threw me the keys to a flawless light silver SM'.

You're living in my dream PED.
Ped   
Sun Mar 11 2012, 07:42pm
I was bricking it at first. The Xantia had to be driven to be believed, too. The ONLY difference from the outside is a big twin exhaust. Good fun for embarrassing a few reps on the dual carriageway!
Hattershaun   
Mon Mar 12 2012, 08:09am
Member No: #320
Ped, You are now a member of the 'Saturday Morning Club' and very welcome you are too.

Once B.L. Autos has finalised their move to the new/bigger premises they intend to have an open day & invite C6 owners along.

The blue SM featured in The Protectors & starred Nyree Dawn Porter.

Andrew Brodie is tha chap that took you for a drive in the SM. Just be careful, as you'll buy an SM without realising it's happened!
michaelb   
Mon Mar 12 2012, 08:10am
Member No: #14
Great photos - tnx
gmerry   
Mon Mar 12 2012, 08:16pm
Member No: #21
Is that Brodie formerly of Brodie Engineering?

Regards
G
Hattershaun   
Mon Mar 12 2012, 10:33pm
Member No: #320
Oh yes, there's only one Andrew Brodie!
tonyrome   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 08:58am
Member No: #15
Ped wrote ...
After a good poke around the shop and some snaps I was shown around the storage garage containing some amazing cars (LOVED the 16V BX).

I had a white BX16V many years ago. 160bhp was a lot in a hatch back in the late 80s and, combined with light weight, it was very quick - quicker than the Peugeot 205GTi, which only used the 8 valve version of the engine.

black_exclusive   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 05:19pm
Member No: #126
Those Valvers are nice cars but getting thin on the ground now - unfortunately victim's of "Puggers" where they rip out the engine for their 205 GTi and scrap the rest...

Talking of 205 GTi's, I prefer the Visa GTi myself - one that I've got ATM but has a deposit and awaiting collection at the moment. Got a couple of others but there's only 17 known left in the UK...

michaelb   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 07:13pm
Member No: #14
black_exclusive wrote ...
I prefer the Visa GTi myself

Funnily enough this has been the subject of much adulation on the Alfa forum recently.
black_exclusive   
Thu Mar 15 2012, 07:35pm
Member No: #126
Thanks for that link - always interesting to hear people's opinions...!

Must laugh at the sceptics regarding price though - sold it and there was plenty of interest too...
wrote ...
Miles, red, sunroof, wantness says the price to me starts with a one not a three.
There's nothing to compare it to Visa-wise though, as it was the first roadworthy GTi advertised for sale in at least four years. A couple of others had come up for sale and these were over £1K+ and been stood for years...! All GTi's had a sunroof too...

Show me where there's an MOTd GTi in this condition for that price he mentions!!!
neal2175ds   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:45pm
Member No: #487
Ped,

loved the pictures at BL autos...

Neal
Ped   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 10:04pm
Thanks Neal

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club