Suspension Sphere - Availability and VFM

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
michaelb   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 05:20pm
Member No: #14
drummond wrote ...
French supermarkets have started to stock LDS, which might inform the answer!

or maybe it proves all Citroëns leak.
drummond   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 06:11pm
Member No: #238
My DS leaks like a sieve, but I will stop it!
gmerry   
Thu Feb 16 2012, 07:08pm
Member No: #21
Routine changing of LDS: Base constituent is >80% PAO which is hygroscopic. Actually at small % water, PAO is still pretty good at preventing corrosion and minimising scuffing. Not so sure that the viscosity does not go way off specification though.

If anyone want to try a little test, pour a little LDS into a plastic container (chinese carryout) and add a teaspoon of water. Slosh it gently and it immediately forms an emulsion.

Also read the warning on the Citroen packaged bottle of LDS to discard if not used after 1 week!

Regards
G
drummond   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 08:00am
Yes, you are right, which is why the system is sealed. Duh!
gmerry   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 11:14am
Hi Drummond, I guess braking systems which also use hygroscopic fluid and are sealed, never need any maintenance either?

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 03:28pm
Well Suplex have managed to beat Citroen in terms of providing a replacement Front Stiffness Regulator Sphere (the 70 bar one). Monroe are struggling because their stock system was confusing them with the difference between a pair and a single (I was always taught to replace everything across an axle in pairs, springs, shocks, brakes etc)

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 06:41pm
Hi all, refer to previous post suggesting that LDS hydraulic system is a sealed system.

Looking at a late model C6, they changed the design compared to mine and added a separate filter/breather to the tank. This might have been a design change to stop excessive pressure splitting the tanks, causing leaks on the low pressure side. Plus the warnings to remove the cap every time the car is raised on a jack would no longer be applicable.

Note also that the replacement caps have a limited pressure/vacuum relief capacity.

Regards
G
neal2175ds   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 08:25pm
Member No: #487
anyone know why they stopped using good old LHM, it seems superior in every respect to the new fluid.
travlician   
Fri Feb 17 2012, 08:28pm
Member No: #350
LDS is synthetic and therefore supposed to last longer. The change interval for LHM on the CX was 2 years, the change interval for LDS is specified as 5 years. Last 2.5 times longer (in theory) for 4 times the price....
drummond   
Sat Feb 18 2012, 12:08pm
Gmerry, I was agreeing with you, but it's lost in translation.....
neal2175ds   
Sat Feb 18 2012, 04:02pm
Member No: #487
But LDS is hygroscopic and LHM isn't and we all know abused DS's and CX's with LHM that's been in them for years while they sit rotting... you start them up and nothing is seized up it just works. LHM also doesn't damage paintwork. This stuff sounds more like the LHS2 in my DS, which i have to change every year because its basically a synthetic brake fluid with caster oil in it for lubrication of the pump. I think if i had a choice on the C6 I'd prefer LHM.
gmerry   
Sat Mar 10 2012, 05:37pm
Hi I sectioned one of the faulty spheres (the front stiffness regulator sphere that lives under front right wheel arch).

There are no damper internals (we already knew that), a "rubber" diaphragm of course and there is also a plastic hemi-spherical shell that has three metal spikes.

the spikes are to prevent the sphere being recharged?, or to ensure that a partially discharged sphere goes completely flat and is noticed by the driver?

The plastic shell floats around in the sphere causing the rattle I noticed. I wonder if the rattle feature is a deliberate part of the design to aide detection of a flat sphere?

Regards
G

dsharples   
Fri Jun 08 2012, 08:40am
Member No: #119
G, further to the "other thread" on "crashing over bumps" how about you provide a novices' guide to changing the spheres based on your experiences? I and I'm sure others would find it useful, and potentially something we can all help to enhance as we attempt these jobs over the coming months/years as our cars drop out of our various warranties.
Pappnase   
Thu Dec 13 2012, 10:06am
Member No: #1044
In case somebody wants to look at the other thread: Here it is
Hattershaun   
Thu Dec 13 2012, 11:14pm
Member No: #320
I, too, had noticed a deterioration in the ride comfort of my car over recent months.

The front end seemed to bounce up and down more than previously over bumps, particularly as I was braking on approach to a junction (I.e. when the stiffness regulator sphere is out of circuit), suggesting a loss of nitrogen pressure in the front outer spheres.

Also, the back end of the car would display too much vertical movement if I was carrying rear seat passengers with a boot full of luggage, again suggesting he front-end suspension was too stiff, thus transferring road bumps to the rear of the car, rather than them being absorbed at the front end.

I've had hydropneumatically suspended cars (DS, BX, GS, GSA, Xantia, XM, C5, CX) for nearly 20 years so am well used to the lovely waft and all the various subtle differences between cars and spheres as they lose pressure over time.

Anyhow, I finally got round to pressure checking the spheres.

The front outer ones were well down on pressure, at 30 bar & 38 bar instead of 50 bar.

I've replaced these and noticed an improvement, although the ride comfort could still be better.

All four of the rear spheres were at 36 bar instead of 40 bar, so, not too far adrift.

This weekend coming I'm planning to check the front stiffness sphere and replace if necessary, which will hopefully restore the ride comfort.

I'll also change the LDS, in case it has become aerated.

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club