C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

HID Bulb Replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Mon Jun 18 2012, 05:22pm
Member No: #21
Hi Nickyg, any supplier details and part numbers for HIDs and sidelight LEDS.

Is the colour temperature the same for the replacement bulbs.

Do the LEDS show as a failed bulb on Lexia given the reduced current draw?

Thanks
G
nickyg   
Mon Jun 18 2012, 11:34pm
Member No: #100
Yes, gmerry, I knew from previous experience when dabbling in retrofitting my various battery powered worklights with LEDS that Cree seemed to be squeezing the most brightness/least heat from small bulbs.. and so it proved.

They were a bit dearer when I bought and fitted them, but I have done a quick search and the same outlet seems to be selling them a little cheaper now!

Here you go: 310407328240 (ebay item number)

I have had zero problems with them, bar the slight ill fitting, fiddly bulb holder related issues outlined above. You can pre-empt all that by going straight to my solution.. I recommend applying a thin bed of clear silicone patiently with the end of a wooden kebab skewer or similar, check they are both seated correctly and working and leave the bulb to cure and stabilise in the holder overnight whilst dangling outside the lamp unit. It is awkward in there for refitting, though, especially the drivers side!

As regards the HID lamp, I actually bought a complete unit a good while back off ebay for about £85, more out of curiousity and for having as spare for what was a steal at that price.

The seller had sent me it including a perfectly functioning oem bulb, too!
Later that year (2010) I noted what I believed to be the first signs of the directional motors failing (it was) so I simply changed the bulbs, then eventually the units over. I still have the 3rd bulb somewhere, I'll check the markings and get back to you. There were no discernible differences in the newly paired bulbs following my changeover, so these issues may be made out to be more than they are in the real world. With that in mind, I'd say replacement with the same bulb manufacturer will be fine, colour temperature wise, and that the mismatched age/hours made little difference in my case. I'm sure you are aware there is no need to be spending the full amount that Citroen charge! I believe German sources to be a good place to start, perhaps ebay.de.

My little netbook is still sans working ribbon cable so can't have a check on my lexia to confirm or deny your other query regarding LED voltages, but will let you know when I can.

Edit: I had a check, here is the Oem bulb and its markings. Unfortunately they are more expensive than other options, notably Philips.

Osram Xenarc d2s 35w 66040 Also, less importamtly,

Cheers, Nicky
gmerry   
Tue Jun 19 2012, 10:23am
Member No: #21
Attached image has the full spec for OEM replacement HID bulbs.

thanks Nickyg for the reference.

Regards
G
smihaialex   
Fri Mar 08 2013, 12:28am
Member No: #1031
Hi G, Dave, Gentlemen,

My Six did the same this evening... Got home after a 20 Mile drive around town, dark outside, the whole time - beams on Auto, fully functional, working perfectly.

After parking in front of my building I started to fiddle a bit with the seat position, because now that I don't use a heavy winter jacket, it seemed that my driving position was feeling a bit odd...

Did the adjustments, then, before memorising, I wanted to adjust the HUD, and in order to set it at the lowest possible height, but still have everything visible, I pulled the headlight stalk towards me a couple of times (that switches to full beam and brings up the small full beam icon on the HUD, which I use to see if height is adjusted properly).

So, I did that a couple of times, then, out of nowhere, the driver-side headlight went off, the dipped beam green light in the dashboard started flashing intermittently, and 3 error messages displayed in Diagnostics->Error log:
- Dipped beam not functioning properly
- High beam not functioning properly
- Adaptive cornering lights not functioning properly

I just thought to myself: oops, there goes a light bulb and started making plans to call Citroens in the morning and order the bulbs to be replaced.

However, after getting out of the car, I went in front of it and I decided to press the middle button on the remote, just to see how it looks... pressed the button 3 -4 times - first time the driver-side bulb didn't go on, second time neither, 3rd time it went on...

Got back inside the car, started the engine, lights on Auto, the headlights performed their initialisation ritual, everything seems to be just fine, and the error messages in Diagnostics are gone...

What's happening here?!?

Anyone, ideas?!?

Thanks,
Sam
mark28   
Sat Mar 09 2013, 07:33am
Member No: #102
Did you have the engine running when you were sorting the seat . This happened to me once, the battery had gone into economy mode, I locked the car and left it for a week over the winter. When I started her up in the dark only one light came on. After a run and I assume the battery being charged normal service was resumed . All I can think was a low battery current
smihaialex   
Mon Mar 11 2013, 12:09am
Nope, I had the engine running and no economy mode. Anyways, it happened again and I think it's something physical, mechanical, because the driver side bulb goes out when light moves left or right following the steering wheel, or when the road surface produces heavier vibrations, or when switching to high beams (the eyelid also producing a vibration inside the headlight)...

Any ideas?!?

Thanks,
Sam
eduardomaio   
Sat May 11 2013, 01:25pm
Member No: #869
I have changed mine today, changed all of them as the front bumper really has to come off and so you can remove the headlight unit. I had the idea to remove the bottom screw just by removing the mudguard (probably not the right word) but the headlight unit doesn't come off without the front bumper off.

It's quite a job (2 hours), and you need two people so you won't scratch the front bumper or twist it and break something. But you can do this with the suspension in high level without lifting the car up.

It took two hours and I changed all the bulbs, to replace the sidelights in place you need a contortionist

I can also confirm the information from nickyg, mine were also Osram Xenarc 66040. I have installed Philips 85122 (bought them from Powebulbs)
Website
smihaialex   
Sun Aug 04 2013, 08:39pm
So? Did anyone change a Xenon light bulb? How hard is it?!?

I actually don't want to change the bulb, I just want to check out that everything is connected properly because sometimes the left hand side bulb goes off when the beam moves (directional headlights ON)...

Thank you,
Sammy
eduardomaio   
Wed Aug 07 2013, 06:28pm
It's a two man job because of the sheer size of the front bumper. Took 2 hours to remove front bumper, headlight units, change lamps (the easiest part) and put everything back together.
Website
smihaialex   
Wed Aug 07 2013, 10:13pm
So, Philips or Osram?!?

Thanks,
Sammy
lugr78   
Thu Aug 08 2013, 06:07am
Member No: #1286
I replaced both with new Philips bulbs without removing headlights. It is not a lot of space, but it can be done.But did get some scratches on my hand doing it
smihaialex   
Thu Aug 08 2013, 03:43pm
Did you get any special Philips bulbs, like XtremeVision, BlueVision Ultra or Color Match?

I just ordered a pair of Osram Xenarc Silverstar at +/- £100 a pair. They're supposed to have 30% more light and a 20m longer beam than regular D2S Xenon Bulbs like the Philips Vision or the Osram Xenarc Original, while still keeping it legal

Philips XtremeVision claim 50% more light, but also cost almost double, so I decided to pass, especially since I used to buy outlandishly expensive Philips H7 XtremeVision, NightVision, you name it, for my C4 and I wasn't impressed, quite the contrary...

Tomorrow I'll replace them myself (hopefully successfully).

Keep you posted,
Sammy
eduardomaio   
Thu Aug 08 2013, 04:52pm
The originals are Osram Xenarc 66040, which are pretty normal HID bulbs. The Xenarc Silverstar have a temperature closer to 5000K, so a bit more blue.
Website
smihaialex   
Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:19am
It's actually 4200K...

Sam
Rog   
Fri Aug 09 2013, 06:48pm
smihaialex wrote ...

So? Did anyone change a Xenon light bulb? How hard is it?!?

I actually don't want to change the bulb, I just want to check out that everything is connected properly because sometimes the left hand side bulb goes off when the beam moves (directional headlights ON)...

Thank you,
Sammy

Interesting. I have noticed something 'dimming' on my left hand side light when I go round a sharp left hand bend. I assumed this was natural as after a certain point I guess there's no point in lighting up the hedge!. It doesn't go out completely, just on the extreme left.
Any thoughts?

Rog
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club