C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

HID Bulb Replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Jan 26 2012, 09:31pm
Member No: #21
Hi, the passenger side Dipped Beam HID stopped working and when I checked on the Alert Log it showed several messages. Then with the car parked, I clicked the middle button and all is working again.

Anyway, I'll probably buy a spare which appears to be a DS2 HID bulb. The attached website - Click Here - has multiple variants.

Any idea which is best Philips or OSRAM. Philips are around £45, OSRAM £75 would prefer to replace with same as original?

Also, has anyone done this job, any need to disconnect battery etc.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Fri Jan 27 2012, 04:28pm
Anyone replaced the HID D2S bulb?

Anyone had to replace a headlight unit complete. I understand the bumper has to come off to do this. The rason I mention this is because on the C4, I remove the entire headlight unit (10 minutes) in order to replace the halogen bulb.

Regards
G

C6Dave   
Fri Jan 27 2012, 07:22pm

Member No: #1
I don't recall any post from anyone indicating a failed bulb G.
Website
mark28   
Fri Jan 27 2012, 09:25pm
Member No: #102
My driver side failed once and when I parked up and came back it was working again . The book also recommends replacing both if one goes .
gmerry   
Fri Jan 27 2012, 10:53pm
Hi Mark and Dave. I read somewhere that failing HIDs go a bit pink and my hasn't, so maybe just a glitch. Plus the bilb has only seen about 1100 hours (max) so I would be surprised if it fails so soon.

Regards
G
tonyrome   
Sun Jan 29 2012, 09:11am
Member No: #15
gmerry wrote ...
Anyone had to replace a headlight unit complete. I understand the bumper has to come off to do this.

Yes, I had the entire bumper off to replace the unit but, in the end, the connectors were found to be corroded, so the bulb was replaced and the connectors cleaned and packed with grease. It meant high labour charges for what should have been a simple job but it was still better than having to replace the entire Xenon headlight unit, as this was priced at something like 1500 EUR!
gmerry   
Sun Jan 29 2012, 03:11pm
Tony et al, a look under the bonnet gives me a distinct impression that changing the HID bulb will require removal of the headlight unit which will require removal of the bumper... I guess indicator and marker light bulbs should be changed at the same time.

Regards
G
tonyrome   
Sun Jan 29 2012, 08:22pm
gmerry wrote ...
a look under the bonnet gives me a distinct impression that changing the HID bulb will require removal of the headlight unit which will require removal of the bumper...

Yes, that's correct - and somewhat ridiculous!

gmerry wrote ...
I guess indicator and marker light bulbs should be changed at the same time.

Makes sense.
gmerry   
Sun Jan 29 2012, 09:27pm
The owners handbook is somewhat coy when it comes to the subject of changing the headlight bulbs.... I guess Citroen figure that the number of warranty claims within 3 year period will be low so not really a problem... for them.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 07:37am

Member No: #1
Because of the nature of Gas Discharge bulbs and high voltage, Citroen recommend that they are replaced by a dealer as your 'average' DIY repairer could get injured

That's why the info is scarce.

As long as your careful it shouldn't be an issue for you G
Website
drummond   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 07:48am
Member No: #238
Back in the days (2004) my OH had a Renault Modus. The headlight bulb went, it took 4 hours to replace (booked time), at a main dealers. Under warranty, of course!

The Americans had it right, after all- all headlights had to be replaceable from outside the car. Oh, how we larffed, (DS, anybody?) but now...
gmerry   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 09:37am
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but the "real" reason the handbook does not mention how to change the HID bulbs is because it would look a bit bad if the instruction started "first remove front bumper".

The safety issue from the ballast system could be dealt with by disconnecting the battery and waiting for any capacitance to discharge.

Issue for owners outside 3 year warranty is whether we will book the car in to a dealer and pay many hundreds of pounds for a bulb change or tackle the job "head on".

Regards
G
tonyrome   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 11:13am
gmerry wrote ...
Issue for owners outside 3 year warranty is whether we will book the car in to a dealer and pay many hundreds of pounds for a bulb change or tackle the job "head on".

Exactly. I had to pay for the dealer to do it because Citroen UK weren't prepared to pay, even though the only reason for the corrosion of the connectors was that the headlamp had condensation inside it, which was precisely the reason why the other headlamp had already been replaced under warranty!
rogerandoutman   
Mon Jan 30 2012, 05:51pm
Member No: #466
HID lamps, were orignally developed for display lighting and with conventional control gear took considerable time to run up to full power and once switched off, needed time to cool down before being able to restrike.

Just look at HP sodium lamps in the street and see how long they take before reaching full efficiency.

The latest generation of HID lamps are coupled with electronic instant restrike control gear, This enable the lamp to run at full output instantly and also to re-illuminate without a visible delay.

This type of control gear generates a vey high voltage about 1.4KV if I remember correctly. So you dont want that running through you, even though it is not a high amperage.

As long as you take care to ensure that the lamps will not automaically illuminate, there should be no issues. Also when changing a bulb, do not touch the outer quartz envelope, as secretions from your skin affects the quartz.

A discharge lamp is normally rated for 6000 hours life, but this is dependant on the number of restrikes, so in vehicle a possible life of only 1000 hours could be the norm
nickyg   
Sat Jun 16 2012, 12:09pm
Member No: #100
Just a confirmation that it will indeed take a competent DIYer 2 hours to change a HID bulb.. less on subsequent occasions, as you'll have a feel for the bumper removal process.

I also second the renewing of the sidelights. They are a bit of a [%*^#@!] to get back in when lamp unit is in situ. I swapped out for high quality led ones (I'm very happy with this upgrade, the extremely bright white matches the HID nicely) and what a pita to find the locating grooves, turning the bulb holder to lock etc. One side actually fell out into the lamp casing!

Only for the fact that I then had the bumper off to remedy low pressure LDS pipe couplings, this allowed me to retrieve the sidelight bulb. A small bed of silicone applied round the mating of bulb and holder holds the bulb more securely.

The orange marker bulbs are a lot easier worked in situ.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club