C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Citroën DS5 a viable alternative?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Wed Jan 25 2012, 07:59am

Member No: #1
Citroen have made available the first sales brochure for the new DS5 which you can view online or download here: - Click Here -

Having a look through it, I get the feeling that the C6 could end production very soon with the DS5 becoming the 'Flagship' car?

It's not yet on the UK car configurator so there is no indication of prices though.

What I did notice was that the one petrol engined variant available will outperform the C6 3.0 HDi including mpg (on paper)

The top of the range diesel hybrid is claiming 74 mpg

Maybe 12-18 months down the line, we will start seeing some entering the used market at substantial discounts, just like the C6?
Website
gmerry   
Wed Jan 25 2012, 10:35am
Member No: #21
Hi, hopefully DS5 will not be Citroen's (European) flagship model. IMHO, major short coming as a flagship model is the chassis/platform which is based on the C4. The rear suspension does not really cut it (poor camber control) which is OK for a mid-sized hatchback (B segment) but not good enough as a "luxury car".

There is also the question as to why the springs are steel (Note, Citroen managed front McPherson struts and hydro pneumatic with the BX so obviously it could be done). Most of the obvious competitors are using air suspensions to get the control AND comfort.

Regards
G
drummond   
Wed Jan 25 2012, 11:01am
Member No: #238
Oh. Oh, well.

C**p, isn't it?
tonyrome   
Wed Jan 25 2012, 01:25pm
Member No: #15
Dave may well be right with regard to the end of C6 production. I originally predicted that this would be at the end of 2011 and I can't imagine it surviving much longer now.

However, I tend to agree with gmerry re the DS5. It's not a real luxury car, despite the nice interior. Under the skin, there are too many cost-cutting elements. The exterior is also a bit fussy when you see it in the metal and the engine options are limited. The hybrid is certainly the pick of the range but it's way overpriced and the boot space seriously restricted. Then there's the issue of build quality and reliability. Still, I'm sure it will suffer the usual heavy depreciation, which may make it a good secondhand buy later.
ciao_chao   
Wed Jan 25 2012, 09:15pm
Member No: #518
The DS5 is not targeted realistically at the C6 owners, at least I hope not.

I've already decided that if no viable replacement appears, it will be a X351 XJ.
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 26 2012, 07:41am

Member No: #1
Phil wrote ...

Entry level DS5 will start from £22,400 for an "e-HDi 110 Airdream EGS6 DSign".

Cheapest Hybrid4 with 99g/km2 is £27,600 Hybrid4 200 Airdream DSign.

Most expensive? £32,200 will get you the all singing all dancing Hybrid4 200 Airdream DSport.... well spec'ed as standard but still plenty of scope to spec up another £200 worth of extras - making it a truly eye watering price!

Now who is going to buy the top of the range one?
Website
travlician   
Thu Jan 26 2012, 11:31am
Member No: #350
Will be waiting for the DS9 (or whatever they'll call the production version based om Metropolis) and hoping that does have hydraulic suspension. If not, the C6 is my last Cit.
ciao_chao   
Fri Jan 27 2012, 03:38pm
I think Citroen have lost it's way somewhat, but then again since the Eurozone are under pressure, I can see why the French gov't aren't so keen on subsidising the next gen of presidential car. Though surely it would be a great embarrasment if Sarkozy had to bow to Merkel and her selection of briefcases.

If I were in charge (and really in charge, not just answering to bosses at Peugeot), I'd be looking at remarketing Citroen in two channels, the DS range is not bad, but it's really more suited for younger professionals aged between 20-30. I think Citroen fail to target more mature customers looking for something more classy.
Dave Mc   
Wed Feb 08 2012, 01:29pm
Member No: #64
When I was in Howards Citroen today I enquired about a DS5. The launch has been delay by 6/8 weeks! The interest has surpassed Citroens expectations and they won't launch until they have at least 800 cars ready to go. Howards are getting a Hybrid4 200 Airdream DSign in as a demonstrator
MattHwk   
Fri Feb 10 2012, 11:05pm
Member No: #246
Hello all. I've been fortunate enough to have been driving a Dstyle 160Hdi Auto over the last week. It's caused quite a steer amongst friends, family and at work.

The car will appeal to many. It has great presence and the interior is very special indeed. Anyone reading this will have read the press reviews and most of what's been said is true. If the car had "magic carpet"....and was a bit bigger.....deal done. I've also found it impossible to get comfortable....left foof rest is very high and despite adjusting wheel and seat endlessly, it just doesn't get comfy. Perhaps it's just not for me, after 3 years in a C6 ; but will deliver the Wow factor to many. It's a stunning car. Away for the weekend with the family and they will love it, so who knows?

Despite all my woes, I'm likely to stick with the brand anyhow, in the hope that a DS6 will be the real thing. There is nothing else out there in my budget that appeals....So, a C5 V6 with all the toys is most likely to be my next car.
ciao_chao   
Sat Feb 11 2012, 01:11pm
Was at sportif and chatting to Steve (the dealer there) about the DS5. Showed me a video about it, and the HUD design looks interesting. With luck I'll have a chance to give one of these a go too.
James   
Tue Mar 06 2012, 09:22pm
Member No: #817
Citroen have added the DS5 to the UK web pricelist, and it seems they removed the C6 at the same although it remains on the March PDF download price list.

When I was collecting my C6 at the weekend, there was a DS5 tucked round the back. Nice. Very nice. But it's not a six. Though here's a thought.

If I was still in my old job, SJ 58 WLR my first C6 would be at the end of its four year lease in September. A new C6 has a P11D value of £39660, and a Benefit in kind % set by the Co2 rating of 31%, so HMRC treat it as £12,295 of extra pay, so they want £4917 cash.
If you're a higher rate tax payer - £410 less per month going in the bank.

£32K of DS5 DSport Hybrid4 with a 10% tax rating means the revenue only want 40% of £3200 = £1280 / year £106 a month. For £304 saving on the car (and more on Fuel benfit). I'd give the DS5 a very hard look.

I spent about 40 hours a month in the car, giving the chancellor £7.50 less for every hour would mean I could put with *still* having the most distinctive car in the car park, doing 0-60 in 8 seconds odd, and only stopping for 60l of fuel every 1000 miles.

Since I don't have a company car any more, it's a moot point.
ciao_chao   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 11:51pm
But the DS5 doesn't have hydraulics...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club