C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Centrepoint Steering DS Heritage

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 03:44pm
Member No: #21
Not sure what to call this Post, thought about calling it "In Praise of Citroen C6 Lower Ball Joint."

However back to Citroen DS. Citroen pioneered front wheel drive with centrepoint steering and they did this on the DS by putting the suspension ball joints right inside the wheel and getting the kingpin axis angle optimised and zero offset at the contact patch centre (centrepoint steering). They were of course helped by having inboard brakes (made possible by the front-mid-engined layout and plenty of room for the brakes on the sides of the transmission.

Roll Forward to PSA's C Platform, and its great to see the innovative thinking that allows optimsation of the suspension wishbone angles and placement (including no need for excessive kinpin inclination), plenty of room for brake packaging, and placement of the steering pivot axis close through the contact patch centre. All made possible of course by using those FRIP joints.

In terms of outcome, I think that most drivers will find the C6 outstanding for a large FWD in terms of freedom from torque steer, braking stability etc. Sure there is little steering feedback, but that is both an acceptable tradeoff and to be expeccted in the Citroen tradition. So the design works?

Well, there is a little downside in terms of longevity. I put this down to a lack of detailed development of what is basically a very sound engineering solution.

Regards
G

michaelb   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 07:48pm
Member No: #14
Interesting. I wish I understood the half of it

I've always questioned this criticism about the steering lacking feedback. With a delicate touch I think I feel enough of what's going on under the wheels to satisfy me.

I drove a Lexus LS 460 last month - now there's a steering system with NO feedback. Nothing, zero, nada. And slightly heavier to use as well; the worst of both worlds.
drummond   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 09:30pm
Member No: #238
Very good, Gerry, indeed.

One small point- I thought that the inboard brakes on the DS were a direct result of using the very large wheelbearings, which infomed the centre point steering. As you say, FRIP joints made this redundant.

I like the inboard brakes, except when it comes to changing them- 5 hours labour, and that's if the garage does them. It will take me more than 10...

My OH has a Mazda MX5. That has wonderful feedback. Driving it at 90 for 5 hours on the autoroute, no thanks!

Tim
gmerry   
Thu Dec 01 2011, 09:36pm
Member No: #21
Hi Drummond, MX5 is unusual in having centrepoint steering (and rear wheel drive combination) but packaging much easier without hubs.

Main issue for the DS was the lack of reliable Constant Velocity technology and hence desire to put a Hooke's joint within the wheel (on the axis of the wheel pivot).

See the link for more - Click Here -

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club