C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Blinding Headlights Need Adjustment?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 08:47am
Member No: #21
Driving on A roads around Aberdeenshire, I am getting a huge number of cars flashing me with their headlights, believing me to be running on full beam. I've noticed that this is happening on flat smooth roads so nothing to do with the car pitching up and down.

I'm a bit surprised that my headlights are causing this amount of grief because the car passed an MOT only 1 month ago and I would have thought that any problem with headlight aim would be reported (and fixed) before an MOT could be issued.

Anyway last night, I parked on my level drive in front on my white garage door. With the engine running, wheel straight ahead and suspension at normal level, I checked that the beam angle compensation was working by bouncing the rear of the car up and down. Yes the beam angle compensators worked, but their rate of response was slower that the pitch frequency of the suspension. So this on its own may cause nuisance flashing to other road users.

In the end, I decided to lower the beam setting by 1.5" at 15 foot distance (that is a 0.5 degree change in setting angle). The very sharp beam cutoff makes this easy to see on the garage door.

Will let you know how this affects night driving on dip and amount of flashing I get.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 09:52am

Member No: #1
Never had anyone flash me for mine before.
Website
verycleverman   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 11:09am
Member No: #65
C6Dave wrote ...

Never had anyone flash me for mine before.

Me neither, even on the continent!

Pete.
Chevrons   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 11:15am
Member No: #85
I get flashed occasionally.

There are those who object so much, they started a campaign against HIDs:

- Click Here -

And the BBC gave them publicity:

- Click Here -
cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 12:36pm

Member No: #38
I have had it occasionally on winding country roads on dipped beam. It tended to be on right hand bends or coming off right hand bends into a strraight, so I assumed it was the directional headlamps that were catching the oncoming traffic. When coming onto a straight it would tend to be the first oncoming car that would flash but not any following vehicle. As with Gmerry and MOT, the car has passed the Irish NCT which is strict for alignment and strength on headlamps. However I hadn't considered the effect G reports, but as I say, I found the problem with right hand bends (right hand drive country obviously).

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:49pm
Member No: #21
Thanks for feedback. I'm assuming a) that there is a problem because maybe every 3rd car is flashing me and b) that the problem is my C6 rather than the headlight setup generally, since so few of you report any problems at all. Hopefully setting the beam 0.5 degrees lower will reduce any aggravation to other road users. (Maybe Citroen garage issuing MOT did not check very thoroughly the beam setting?)

Regards
G
Rog   
Sat Sep 28 2013, 01:31am
What was the outcome of this - I am getting flashed lately, and noticed when following cars they seem quite high [again on relatively flat roads!]
cruiserphil   
Sat Sep 28 2013, 08:27pm

Member No: #38
Rog,

How is your car as regards suspension level?

Regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club