C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

DrivingVisionNews dot com PSA Article and Interviews

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Nov 17 2011, 05:13pm
Member No: #21
A few years old but facinating reading with plenty of C6 references. Jean-Paul Plonc head of Citroen Styling has a few words to say on the C6 see page 56. Plus the photograph appears to be with a C6

- Click Here -

Regards
G
michaelb   
Thu Nov 17 2011, 07:26pm
Member No: #14
Interesting. If I understand the table on page 30, having no idea what S.O.P. means, I'm guessing C6 production is scheduled to end in 2012.
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 17 2011, 07:44pm

Member No: #1
Question: How do you explain its relative failure? What experience do you retain to succeed Citroen high range car?

”Maybe it arrived a little early. Nevertheless it is a elitist car and it is an element to build the styling brand.”

Perceived Quality, Lines and surface justness are primordial for you.

Interesting comment. Maybe the styling was to futuristic as it still looks far better than the competition 6 years on.
Website
drummond   
Fri Nov 18 2011, 08:55am
Member No: #238
No, I think that the C6's problem is cost, primarily.

The DS sold 1 1/2 million in France. It was a medium cost vehicle, with the Peugeot, Talbot(!) and Renault. A sort of Ford Granada. The C6 is not, and Jaguar, Mercedes and BMW are simply walking away with the honours.

I think that the C6 is, primarily, a sop to the French mode of "doing it differently because I'm French", and in the modern world that will not do.

Toyota produced Lexus, and the incredible reliability of that is well known. I think that Citroen/Peugeot should do the same sort of thing, if they are going to continue with big cars. And yes, it will take 15 years.

The modern world will not take the large vertically integrated car company, and VW have shown it with the Phaeton- which has, in the W12, the same engine as the Bentley. They should have called the Phaeton an Audi!

Peugeot got it wrong in 1973, and IMHO are getting it wrong some more. They should have closed Citroen, and reintroduced it four or five years later as a premium, upmarket brand. Er- like Audi...

Tim

gmerry   
Fri Nov 18 2011, 02:12pm
Member No: #21
The article does invite some general comment.

PSA can be seen as very homogenous;, all Men, French, Middle-aged executives. Not much exposure to the world outside France and PSA. Education backgrounds all very similar. So this is the antithesis of diversity in a world that increasingly looks that way, but also a perhaps a strength (consistency, attention to detail, corporate memory).

The whole product planning and the inter-relationship between Peugeot and Citroen does seem a bit strange. I think the general concept of taking the Citroen range more up market and letting Peugeot target the value end might work, ala VW and Audi. But I'm sure there are enough Peugeot old timers that would fight this tooth and nail. I'm old enough to remember some very awful Audi cars so obviously this strategy would take years.

Regards
G
ciao_chao   
Sat Nov 19 2011, 04:04pm
Member No: #518
I must say:

1) Citroen fails to whole heartedly, target the prestige market. It does try to be the alternative choice, like with the C3/4 and C5 II, and Xantia. And of course the XM and the C6 are proper luxobarges. But otherwise under PSA they've churned out some dull cheap stuff (like the AX, Saxo, C1, Xsara, and whatever).

2) Peugeot seemed to treat Citroen more as a burden, rather than a prized posession. VAG was grew under unity and world domination, and I would say Ford group was too (except they overate and got indigestion). This is typical of French management failures, and something they stubbornly refuse to change. I love the French culture in so many ways, but this is going to be their downfall.

3) It is very hard to shake off the image of cheap and tacky once that has been ingrained into the population. It makes better sense if PSA bought out a company such as Venturi and used that to market their prestige vehicles. Again Citroen had the right idea, years ahead of everybody else in their folly with Maserati.
michaelb   
Sat Nov 19 2011, 07:39pm
Member No: #14
There is a fascinating article in this week's Economist on the subject of French management.

The gist of being their elitist system, which is superlative in many ways because it is a pure meritocracy, means meritocratic high-risers are placed in key positions based on their standing in the pecking order rather than their aptitude for the position. Top civil servants are parachuted in to run state bodies. They don't grow up through the ranks as in other countries. So you get extremely brainy people but they haven't a clue about the industry they've been thrown into.

Read the full article.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club