Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

suspension creaking

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
robin-hood   
Thu Nov 10 2011, 04:39am
Member No: #377
Hi all,

Since few months, my front left suspension started to creak when drinving over some speed bumps for example.

You can't really hear it when rolling but at low speed it's very annoying.

It comes from the suspension wishbone internal bushings, internal ones at you can hear it from inside the vehicle.

I tried to put some TEFLON based lubricant, very expensive, which solve the problem for 1 or 2 months.

Did you encounter the same problem ? I may have to change these bushings, but as they support the wheel geometry, they don't have any weight on them as the suspension strut takes it, so I wonder why it is creaking like that !

Thanks.

Robin
gmerry   
Thu Nov 10 2011, 07:57am
Member No: #21
Robin, are you talking about the front lower "balljoint" actually not a ball joint but SKF CARB bearing. If so, we have a thread going on this subject. This is the component with three "fingers" which bolts to the lower wishbone.

It is possible to retrofit a grease zerk fitting to the base of pivot bearing housing.

Regards
G
robin-hood   
Mon Nov 14 2011, 12:18am
Member No: #377
Hi,

No, I've already replaced these lower balljoints and it's fine. It's coming from upper wishbone, I can hear it creaking when I ask for a height change and go out of the car to see from where it's coming. it's not very common I think, but if you have an idea ...?
gmerry   
Mon Nov 14 2011, 09:34am
Robin, it's possibly the plastic bushes for the upper wishbone. Anybody stripped this down and found any wear or had to relubricate?

Regards
G
321dave   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 10:06am
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Robin, it's possibly the plastic bushes for the upper wishbone. Anybody stripped this down and found any wear or had to relubricate?

Regards
G

Hi all,
I also have an annoying creak from the front suspension now. I am currently compiling a list of replacement parts anyway for the front suspension. So a rebuild is coming up over the next few weeks. Would the consensus be that the creaking from the front is in fact the upper bushes or the pivots or bushes further back near the top of the front pivot support strut assembly. Also the lower bush near the Frip joints is worn out now, this bush according to my main dealer can't be bought as it comes with the front pivot support for the strut. Is there an aftermarket bush? It seems a lot of waste to replace the whole front pivot? I suppose it needs a press to put in?

Kind regards
321dave

C6Dave   
Tue Dec 02 2014, 12:57pm

Member No: #1
Search the site on 'Frip' joint, your question is already covered.
Website
321dave   
Fri Dec 05 2014, 12:58pm
gmerry wrote ...

Regards
G

Indeed, anybody had a look at these upper bushes? Any wear issues? I suppose most of these might of been replaced on high mileage C6's by dealers also replacing the leaking struts for clients!
gmerry   
Thu May 26 2016, 06:39pm
Having replaced the swivel complete with FRIP joint and new wheel bearing, I now have a suspension creaking noise, power on power off causes the noise. I.e. anything which causes suspension dive/squat.

Will it be the upper plastic bushes ?

Come to think of it, I was a bit "naughty" in the way I loosened the upper balljoint....

Regards
G
321dave   
Thu May 26 2016, 11:15pm
Hi G,
In my case the cure was a new strut unit or shock. The creaking was from the damp leaking strut tower. I changed it out for a new unit and the creak was gone straight away. Maybe it's a different type of creaking your referring to though.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club