C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Fire under the hood ;(

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
travlician   
Fri May 20 2016, 01:15am
Member No: #350
Had a terrible experience last Friday, lots of smoke from under the hood when I arrived home. When I opened the hood I saw flames on the back side of the engine, immediately put the hose with water on it.
Resulting damage was not that much, some molten tubing (both fuel and vacuum related) and a patch of isolation material that burnt (the flap covering the rear part of the injectors).
I have had a distinct diesel smell the over the last weeks so really I should have attended this matter earlier. Once the tubing was replaced, I started the engine without troubles but... There is still diesel leaking from one of the rear and all three front injectors, at the point of the "leak-off" or diesel return connector. Upon connecting with Lexia noticed a message "Injector 6 flow too low" which did not return after clearing the error.
My assumption is that injector 6 has fauled and therefore puts way too much diesel on the return line which in turn can not be handled by the leak-off connectors. Put in some injector cleaner and hope this will cure the problem, for now running only short trips and cleaning the leaked diesel (only two trips today since the event) an hope for the best...
Really diesel quality on the island is terrible and my fuel filters lasts for approximately 5000 miles (7500 km) on average!
Any suggestions?
Hattershaun   
Fri May 20 2016, 04:17am
Member No: #320
I recently saw a fuel injector from a 2.7HDi where the main body of the injector had cracked, causing a fuel leak and lots of smoke as the fuel spilled onto hot parts of the engine.
Luckily, the driver stopped before any further damage was caused.

I've also seen a Peugeot 407 with the 2.7HDi engine catch fire in the engine bay, whilst driving.
Cause was unknown, but whole engine bay destroyed, all plastics melted, wires burned and car is beyond repair.
321dave   
Fri May 20 2016, 07:23am
Member No: #614
Well done for containing the fire in time!! I carry a fire extinguisher at all times, but now that I think about it should it be for a specific purpose electrical type or fuel related type or is the standard type ok?
It's a small general purpose one, I feel sorry for Opel Zafira people in particular. Not good.

What's the best way to tackle an engine fire?
gmerry   
Fri May 20 2016, 07:56am
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, many, many years ago I had a company car and the company policy was that all company vehicles had to be equipped with a fire extinguisher and a proper first aid kit. The fire extinguisher was always dry powder type and mounted inside the vehicle within reach of the driver.

One day, arriving home, a lady driver was standing by the side of the road with smoke and some flames coming out from the bonnet. We managed to pull the cable release and after lifting the bonnet only a crack, squirted in the contents of the extinguisher (maybe 1.5kgs of dry powder). So based on limited experience, this seems to be practicable and effective.

This reminds me, I always had an extinguisher fitted in the front of the ZX and the original C4 (mounted to the front bottom of the passenger seat) but I have neglected to do the same for the C4 (B7 variety) and the C6. Must have a look at it.

Thanks
G
321dave   
Fri May 20 2016, 08:41am
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Dave, many, many years ago I had a company car and the company policy was that all company vehicles had to be equipped with a fire extinguisher and a proper first aid kit. The fire extinguisher was always dry powder type and mounted inside the vehicle within reach of the driver.

One day, arriving home, a lady driver was standing by the side of the road with smoke and some flames coming out from the bonnet. We managed to pull the cable release and after lifting the bonnet only a crack, squirted in the contents of the extinguisher (maybe 1.5kgs of dry powder). So based on limited experience, this seems to be practicable and effective.

This reminds me, I always had an extinguisher fitted in the front of the ZX and the original C4 (mounted to the front bottom of the passenger seat) but I have neglected to do the same for the C4 (B7 variety) and the C6. Must have a look at it.

Thanks
G

Hi G, thanks for that, I believe the one I carry is the dry powder type, but I'll also be moving the extinguisher back up front to the drivers seat area, as I carry it a bit to casual in the boot. But I'll change that now.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club