Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

mark28's Avantime post gave me an idea...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ocellia   
Fri Oct 21 2011, 02:32pm
Member No: #583
Citroen made a few rotary GSAs. Mr Brodie, of Hypertronics fame/SMs has (or had) one when I visited him about 7 years ago.
Made a frightful din starting up, but then it was just stored away generally.
Wish I'd bought the SM I was viewing.....now.
RotaryBri   
Fri Oct 21 2011, 04:26pm
Member No: #208
@drummond,

Original engine and starts first turn of the key. How quickly they start tells you how good are the seals. All the talk was about the rotor tip seals as being the problem but that was not exactly true as the main culprit was the side seals. When these wear there is a loss of compression and that is when starting becomes difficult.

There was a change in the rotor tip seal material along with a change to the finish of the rotor chamber and no further problems after that. There have been changes to the side seals since NSU stopped manufacture and these are now giving excellent life.

@pclark,

I believe that Mazda have already stopped production of the RX8 but have said that they will be introducing a replacement that will meet the forthcoming new standard.

You may be interested to know that Audi have designed a new Wankel engine which should be in production next year, which is a single rotor and will be installed in a hybrid car and used as a range extender i.e driving an electric motor. I have seen pictures of it, installed, and it is so small that the power train can be put in the smallest of the VW cars.

@Ocellia,

Before I bought this car I went to see another Ro80 and when I turned up I found that the owner also had an SM, a real beauty, and kept a GS Birotor at his French home. Talk about being envious! Citroen bought back as many of the Birotors as they could and crushed them. What a waste. This means that any left are very valuable.
pclark   
Sun Oct 23 2011, 01:33pm
Member No: #3
I believe Citroen were proposing a triple rotor Wankel engine for the CX - that would have been quite some car! They also made a prototype Wankel engined helicopter that can be seen in the Conservatoire in Paris. Presumably Citroen's rotary engine programme was killed off by the oil crisis of the early 70's and Peugeot's accountants following the takeover. The CX ended up with a transverse version of the 5 bearing D series engine. Those accountants are also responsible for killing off the Citroen SM. Having said that, if not for Peugeot Citroen probably would have gone bust!
drummond   
Sun Oct 23 2011, 05:33pm
Member No: #238
Gone bust again, Philip!

Although this time it would not be a minor creditor (who became a director of Michelin) but a subsidiary of Michelin themselves. Goes to show (aka Henry Ford 2)- chrome sells cars, not technological excellence....

Tim
Hattershaun   
Sun Oct 23 2011, 05:39pm
Member No: #320
I had the pleasure of owning a GS Birotor for a couple of years during 2007 & 2008 here in the UK.

It was seen by plenty of people in the Citroen Car Club and there are a 3 clips on You Tube;

just search for Citroen GS Birotor. It was Beige Tholonet with Brun Scarabee roof, registration AUR581M.

A great fun car to drive with an 'adequate' increase in power compared to a 1220cc GS; the engine wizzed along very nicely indeed.

At the time it was one of four cars known in the UK. Mine ended up going to a Citroen collector in Eastern Europe.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club