C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

[%*^#@!] ball joints again

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 06:12pm
Member No: #82
My front end has started to feel loose and clunky again over bumps. It must be the ball joints again. Only had the front nearside done in November and the offside a few months before that (hopefully it's the same part as it'll be covered by the year parts guarantee but sods law it won't be).

Taking it in on Thursday to be looked at. Seems the ball joints just aren't up to the job. I have done less than 10,000 miles since the last joint replacement.

I have an extended warranty recommended to me on here and I'm betting they won't cover it either.

cruiserphil   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 07:00pm

Member No: #38
Ped,

Not trying to worry you but perhps it may not be at such an early stage??

See what they diagnose and keep in mind this from one of my posts on the Lower Suspensio Bearing topic.

On another note, though, the local garage informed me to watch the lower bushing in the pivot carriers as they have replaced two on a C6 at 90000km. I don't know what kind of Irish roads it frequents. The bad news - the bushing is not available separately due to the way it is fitted. The whole carrier has to be replaced and the carrier costs of the order of €300. So one for members to watch although don't worry until/if it happens.

I have a clunk on the front of the 06 car on braking which was there before I replaced both lower suspension bearings and after. Suspension bearings were worn anyway. I'm going to be checking tomorrow to see if I can locate it and am conscious of above.

Regards,

Phil C.
Ped   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 09:28pm
Cheers phil. It feels like I'm re-building the front end one piece at a time.
gmerry   
Fri Sep 30 2011, 09:49pm
Member No: #21
Ped, what is the RPN number for your car. Trying to figure out if the detail design changes seemd to have made any difference.

Regards
G
Rich   
Sat Oct 01 2011, 01:11pm
Member No: #542
Do you ride on mainly normal suspension or Sports mode?
Ped   
Sat Oct 01 2011, 04:57pm
Where's the RPN?

Suspension is in normal mode 99% of the time and engaging sport doesn't make any difference to the issue.
Rich   
Sat Oct 01 2011, 05:07pm
Member No: #542
I've just got this mad theory in my head that Sports mode will help prevent such issues with the ball joints and struts being stiffer and less bouncy, thus causing less wear and tear. I realise now its happened, it won't make any difference. My theory maybe totally wrong but I'm sticking to it at the moment until proved wrong...

Good luck with the fix. Hope they sort it hassle free
MattHwk   
Sat Oct 01 2011, 06:40pm
Member No: #246
No difference me thinks.......heavy tank trying to ride like a magic carpet= battered front suspension. Just build into cost of ownership. Both shocks , struts and ball joints changed once in 100k isn't too bad in my book.
C6Dave   
Sun Oct 02 2011, 06:39am

Member No: #1
Ped wrote ...

Where's the RPN?

On the label on the drivers 'A' pillar - Click Here -

Same label gives you details of how to check the build date for the car: - Click Here -

I can't see 'Sport' mode making any difference either as it only knocks out the centre sphere on each axle, which the car does at motorway speeds anyway.
Website
Ped   
Fri Oct 07 2011, 06:51am
They said they coundn't check for play in the ball joints until I had a new nearside front wheel bearing which has play. That's going to be £360 fitted. I know in my heart that it's not just the wheel bearing making the problem. They are fitting it on monday where they will then investigate further.

What irks me though is the theory that they can't check the joints until they put the bearing in. Sounds like BS to me. My warranty 'company' are trying to worm their way out of the claim despite saying wheel bearings are 'normally' covered, so I spoke to the bloke yesterday and he is checking with the underwriters today to find out.

Cheers
ped
gmerry   
Fri Oct 07 2011, 08:06am
Ped, did you already post your RPN number: That seems to be quite crucial as to problems experienced.

When the lower pivot bearing was replaced last November, was this done using a genuine Citroen (or SKF unit). If it was replaced, what was the warranty given on the repair.

I purchased an item off ebay just to look into this a little further and basically it was a horrible deep groove ball bearing instead of the proprietary CARB bearing. The CARB bearing allows axial float and angular misalignment unlike the deep groove ball bearing. Presumably a Chinese copy except the bearing is all wrong.

Regards
G
dsharples   
Fri Oct 07 2011, 06:10pm
Member No: #119
If you bought your car from the dealer who is servicing your car, I would also ask the Service Manager nicely to put the claim on Citroen's system for some Good Will. Normally the dealer has to contribute too, so some aren't willing to try this route, but it could save you some money...
gmerry   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 05:18pm
Difference between SKF Lower "Ball Joints" and after market replacements.

Hi all, a lot of the so called Lower Ball Joints are in fact just deep groove ball bearings in a similar housing to the real thing.
See - Click Here - as an example.

I purchased one of these (curiosity) and in fact its a 6205 2RS bearing (probably bearing costs about £5) which has been modified by boring out centre to 27mm diameter. A standard 6205 bearing is 25mm. Seems as though all those 407s with worn out front suspensions have resulted in some creative re-engineering.

Note that the genuine bearings are CARB bearings: these allow for some axial float and angular misalignment. They should look externally at least a little more like - Click Here -

Regards
G
Ped   
Mon Oct 10 2011, 05:26pm
Sorry I haven't got the car at the moment to tell you the number!

They called today - apparently they can't see anything wrong with the ball joints/suspension and say it's just the play in the nearside bearing which they have replaced. However, upon replacing the bearing they had to damage the ABS sensor so they will put a new one in for me, but, of course, they don;t have one until tomorrow. Fantastic. They will be fitting it at cheap rate and give me a big discount on the unit though as they basically broke it. I don;t think I should have to pay at all, if I'm honest.

Still my 'warranty company' (i.e one bloke and a mobile phone) is failing to call back or help in any way. Really regretting using them at this point; if he sorts me out I have promised not to tell you all to go elsewhere. If he's smart he'll do the right thing or I'll make it my life's work to make sure nobody uses them again!

ped
citrohanc6   
Tue Oct 11 2011, 01:59pm
Member No: #329
@Gerry; apart from the "tripod" I don't see much difference.
Though noticed the vulcanized (this is some kind of neoprene ring isn't it ) part which lays flat on the original and deep in the counterfeighted one. Is this what you mean?

Is CARB an abrevation or somewhat for something?

tia
winus
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club