Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

C6 Fuel consumption

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
verycleverman   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 12:24am
Member No: #65
drummond wrote ...

Btw, Pete, apart from company cars and my wife's Mazda, every car that I've bought (and I'm 55) has been a Citroen. About 30 at the last count.....

It is not my intention to criticise, nor to question your marque loyalty, Tim. I am merely suggesting that there are cars on the market, large and small, which are more economical than the C6. I daresay that the only consideration a prospective C6 owner would give on the subject of fuel consumption would be whether to buy the petrol or diesel model. The selection of the C6 over other executive cars would boil down to exclusivity and specification. The advantage of the C6 is that it will never suffer the same fate as the BMW 3 series - just that little bit special, until it outsold the Ford Mondeo. All the disgruntled BMW drivers that deserted the, now common, marque and fled to Audi; until that became the new chavmobile. I drive my C6 with a smile on my face; yes, it hurts when I fill the tank and it costs over £100, but there are a lot worse ways of burning a hundred quid's worth of petrol, I could be burning it in something more common than a Ford.

Pete.
drummond   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 09:15am
Member No: #238
Oops, sorry, Pete- no criticism intended! And I started this thread to find out whether mine was burning diesel at an uncommon rate, but I now know that it's not.

Still love the car (and so does my wife). And we intend keeping it, at least until it's as old as the DS (grin).
C6Dave   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 11:30am

Member No: #1
I'm in the verycleverman camp on mpg. I don't actually bother looking at it to be honest but I know around town it drops as does flooring the accelerator occasionally just for the 'smile' value
Website
Chris Burmajster   
Tue Jun 07 2011, 04:49pm
Member No: #81
As Pete rightly says, nobody buys a C6 for economy. Having said that, over the last 6,578 miles, my C6 returned 35.7 to the gallon. Not bad for the size of car!

I believe that economy is most affected by driving style; the use of advanced driving techniques can make a real difference to the economy of ANY car.
ciao_chao   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 03:51pm
Member No: #518
From this thread, gmerry mentions about how the auto box is calibrated. I've definitely noticed an improvement on MPG's now I've learnt how to use the "manual" mode. It's a simple matter of hurrying along up to 32MPH (indicated), and then boshing it into 5th, then I notice a huge jump in MPG.

Of course none of this really matters going uphills, you rarely get better than 20, but then you just need to be clever coming down the other side.

The more I drive the more I find this gearbox a little dim witted.
bdeithrick   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 04:38pm
Member No: #70
Yes I find the gearbox funny to sometime it's seems like there is half gears hidden between 2-3-4 , the revs go up then come back to say 2 then climb again whilst feeling the acceleration . Does it change back to 2nd while showing 3,
Defo weird.
I two drive in cruise control at 52 and 62kms and push the box up one gear manually it very notable on the rev counter.

I have 10.4 l/100km on after 7456kms. And 10s mostly by the time I fill up. That's 10.5 = around 27.2mpg
C6Dave   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 05:54pm

ciao_chao wrote ...

Don't say that it's a 'Citroen' or 'French' issue as the gearboxes are Japanese
Website
smorphet   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 06:04pm
Member No: #88
I think the sensation of having "half gears" is usually reckoned to be the locking and unlocking of the torque converter.

Can anyone explain how it works? I was about to try, but got confused. I think I need to play with it on the way home...

Steve.

verycleverman   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 11:06pm
ciao_chao wrote ...

I've definitely noticed an improvement on MPG's now I've learnt how to use the "manual" mode. It's a simple matter of hurrying along up to 32MPH (indicated), and then boshing it into 5th, then I notice a huge jump in MPG.

For goodness sake, it's an automatic. Drive it as an automatic. The only time you should use it in manual mode is for ascending long, steep hills where the autobox would want to constantly change down; or descending similar hills to control speed using engine braking. It's an automatic - use it as such.

Pete.
rogerandoutman   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 12:46pm
Member No: #466
I have been monitoring my fuel use on my 260 mile visits to Wolverhampton. I have started to cruise at the average fast lane speed of around 85 and seem to get a better fuel usage than traveling at around 70 to 75. On the trip it shows regularly 42mpg at average speed of around 65 ( due to a few slow journeys due to acidents on M1 & 6. But average including town use goes doen to about 32.
Ped   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 12:50pm
Member No: #82
I'm driving from Maidenhead to Edinburgh tomorrow so that'll be interesting!
Trainman   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 04:55pm

Member No: #86
Ped wrote ...

I'm driving from Maidenhead to Edinburgh tomorrow so that'll be interesting!

I might see you passing in the opposite direction, I'll be on the M6 heading south between J28 and J22 around 11:00ish
Ped   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 05:15pm
Member No: #82
OK I'll keep an eye out!!
C6Dave   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 06:20pm

Interesting, my immediate thought was why go via the M6?

Then I looked it up on Google maps and there is little to choose between M6 and M1/A1

But given traffic volumes the M6 once your up past Preston is far quieter generally and err 'whispers' faster and far more 'scenic'

If you need a fuel stop, at the A69 junction at Carlisle there is a Tesco's less than a 1/4 mile from the junction heading toward the city which is far cheaper than the motorway services
Website
verycleverman   
Sun Aug 14 2011, 10:20pm
C6Dave wrote ...

But given traffic volumes the M6 once your up past Preston is far quieter generally and err 'whispers' faster and far more 'scenic'

I would caution against speeding as you go through Cumbria, they love to use mobile speed cameras on the bridges over the M6.

C6Dave wrote ...

If you need a fuel stop, at the A69 junction at Carlisle there is a Tesco's less than a 1/4 mile from the junction heading toward the city which is far cheaper than the motorway services - Click Here -

And if you can find the B&Q car park nearby, there's probably the best 'sausage van' in the country; home burgers, really nice sausages and sandwiches so stuffed you can barely fit them in your mouth.

Pete.

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club