C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 rpm sensor

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
datmbn   
Thu May 26 2011, 05:29am
Member No: #193
I have this winter from time to time had some problem With the engine hesitating but no fault codes untill recently.

Faulty rpm sensor : bought a new one and change it and the car was fine for a couple of days untill it almost refused to start and complains about an faulty camshaft angel sensor so i changed it and it was fine 4 days and then again complains about an faulty camshaft angel sensor .

It turns out that the rpm sensor also reads the crankshaft angel and compares it to the camshaft that's the reson of the complan of camshaft sensor.

The rpm sensor is located near the belt pulley in the wheelarch verry exposed for dust water snow. so after taking apart and cleaning the contakt and wires to this sensor it works better than ever.

foto from wheelarch on sensor and an extra Al cover that I made to protect from wheelspray.

C6Dave   
Thu May 26 2011, 06:42am

Member No: #1
Thanks for sharing that. Your right, it looks very exposed where it is and could do with some protection (especially from your winter weather)
Website
Leo   
Thu May 26 2011, 08:56am
Member No: #94
Hi

Many thanks for this - I have had a similar engine hesitation, especially when engine cold. I took the car back to the dealer twice but they could not sort it out - will try this fix.

Leo
datmbn   
Thu May 26 2011, 09:40am
Member No: #193
Make sure to snap apart that angel fitting that are snap t on to the contact on the wire.

it is better to work with it if you unclipp the wire from the cambeltcover and drag it up into the engine compartment .

when you reconect the wire it is good custom to twist the cable one ore to turns to let the vibrations tear on an other spot of the cable.

regards Mats
drummond   
Thu May 26 2011, 09:45am
Member No: #238
Thank you!

How does the cover attach? And do you have a sketch- dimensions are unimportant.

Tim
gmerry   
Thu May 26 2011, 09:44pm
Member No: #21
Is this a 2.2 engine only problem. Does anyone know if the 2.7HDi has a crank sensor in the same or similar location?

Regards
G
PercyPorcelain   
Mon Aug 26 2019, 09:31am
Member No: #2027
Thanks all, my 2.2 has been suffering similar issues. Crankshaft position sensor and throttle actuator both suspect (says RAC man). Needs fixing because I don't like losing power at speed on motorway and having to pull over. Crankshaft sensor fixed for the moment with a bit of contact cleaner - problem may be heat-related, as I have usually been able to get back on the road after half an hour or so. Engine just cuts out if position sensor fails, yes? Bit concerned as when I cruised to a halt last time I got an oil pressure warning on the dash.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club