C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Towing and Roof Boxes

Towing weights

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
drummond   
Sat Nov 08 2014, 09:05am
Member No: #238
The C6 has a towing weight of 70kg, but most caravans are above this- I'm looking at a Lunar which has a noseweight of 100kg.

Given that I can't (realistically) lighten the caravan, is the towing weight arbitrary or does it depend on figures which I haven't seen and will result in the back end of the car becoming detached...

I've towed since 1974, by the way, with my father's CX and a Sprite Musketeer-
it didn't occur to us to worry about the noseweight then!
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:06am

Member No: #1
Tim the C6 2.2 and 2.7 have a maximum towing weight - braked of 1400 KG with a max down weight of 70kg as you indicated.

A lot would depend on how you load the caravan. The C6 suspension will automatically counteract the down weight and as long as you 'balance' the load in the caravan properly i.e. don't pile stuff into the front you shouldn't have to many problems I would have thought.

I would be more concerned about the actual loaded weight of the caravan
Website
e3steve   
Sat Nov 08 2014, 11:53am
Member No: #1163
My 'Citroën' fitted Bosal hook is labelled as allowing 85kg (I think!) maximum loading.

As Dave states, it's simply a case of loading the 'van properly with some weight aft of its axle and without exceeding 1.4 tonnes.
Hattershaun   
Sat Nov 08 2014, 05:51pm
Member No: #320
My C6 tows a caravan weighing 1350kg really well, very stable with a modern stabilised tow hitch on the caravan.
One tip/suggestion I would offer is to drive with the suspension in Sport mode, as it significantly reduces rear end up/down pitching.

drummond   
Sat Nov 08 2014, 06:41pm
Member No: #238
Dave, the 2.2 tows 1600kg, not 1400. Look at p.160 of the handbook.I don't know why it is, but it informed my decision to buy it. Of course, the (ex) 3 litre might have something different...

The Lunar has a MTPLM of 1465kg. I currently have a 1977 Carlight which weighs 1100kg, and I forget it's on the back- note to self, don't go over 60mph.

I got the "awning in the back of the van" from the dealer as well, but since he went on to say that I could fit extra springs to the car (whilst leaning on it) I sort of didn't trust him.

My Besnier has an 85kg limit, as well, so it looks like I'm going to lighten the noseweight a little, but not to the 70kg that Citroen suggest.

Shaun, thanks for the heads up re Sport, I think that I'm going to do that. I put the DS in higher mode, on the same basis.
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 08 2014, 06:55pm

Member No: #1
Tim I looked at the Technical Specs for the 2.2 and 2.7 HDi - Click Here - and it does say max towing weight braked of 1400 KG but not sure if that was for the 2.2 auto or manual.

The 3.0 HDi has a max towing weight braked of 1620 kg which is a lot better.

There is a plate on your car somewhere (either engine bay or a B pillar, can't remember where that does tell you)

Find that plate and double check so you don't get caught out.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club