C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 with a weird combination of error messages

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sun Mar 20 2011, 04:08pm

Member No: #1
Around a week ago when I started the car I got a tyre pressure warning and a 'Handbrake' faulty one even though the handbrake was off.

I checked the tyre pressures and 1 (nearside rear) was indeed low, so blew them up and the errors disappeared.

Then a couple of days ago when I started the car in the morning (after a hard frost) the ESP check light stayed on after I started the engine, then a 'Handbrake Faulty' error message flashed on the screen and the handbrake on light on the dash display lit up and stayed lit, although the handbrake was off, then an ESP/ASR error message flashed on the screen, but the car drove normally and when stopped and started after going shopping, no errors.

The car was used again later that day with no error warnings.

Today after a cold, but not frosty night, I had the same errors come on and drove to the paper shop with ESP error light and parking brake lights lit, but the handbrake was not on, I rarely use it, unless parked on a steep hill.

On the way back I thought I would try a bit of testing so stopped the car and actually applied the handbrake which engaged without problem

However it would not disengage.

I had to switch off and leave the car for 5 minutes with the keys out before turning the ignition back on. This time no error warnings and the handbrake released first time.

On checking the tyre pressure it was down a bit at 2.12 bar so I'm not sure if the rear sensor is giving an errant message before giving a pressure low one prior to it reaching the limit

Only way to test looks like re inflating the tyres and seeing what happens again. The tyres BTW are the original Michelins with the cracked walls so I may have to bite the bullet and change them now even though they are well above the wear indicators
Website
datmbn   
Mon Mar 21 2011, 06:17am
Member No: #193
My guess is faulty rear ABS sensor or wiring combined with old parking brake cables

regards Mats
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 21 2011, 10:11am

Well I inflated the tyre to 2.4 bar this morning before turning the ignition on and.....

No errors

So I intend to keep a watch and see if it pops up again before making any decisions what to do.
Website
ChrisHunter   
Mon Mar 21 2011, 10:35am
Member No: #188
rear ABS sensor must be a possibility - ours gave intermittent problems (and handbrake & ESP & ABS error messages) that occurred more often as time went by ... BTW, replacing the sensor needs an near-empty fuel tank, so it can be lowered out the way !
C6Dave   
Mon Mar 21 2011, 01:51pm

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind if it continues.
Website
Cactus   
Tue Mar 22 2011, 04:30am
Member No: #373
I've problem with my c6 brake sensor, but not the parking brake problem. My local mechanic said my brake pads are still very good condition and my disc look fine. But whenever I start driving from stop, the "brake worn" message keep on beeping. There are no noise from the braking itself. I've book a date with dealer to have it service next week. I have no idea what is wrong with it.
paulnaylor   
Tue Mar 22 2011, 08:31am
Member No: #200
I had the same problem with persistent but misleading disk wear warnings. The problem turned out to be damaged wiring. My excellent local indie, Woodlinkin Citroen Centre, avoided the several hundred pounds that replacement wiring would have cost by repairing the wiring for £50 quid or so.
Phil   
Tue Mar 22 2011, 08:58am
Member No: #4
Dave - could also be the well known brake pedal switch fault as per C4owners. They are identical switches and are known to fail across the range.

We get the similar handbrake fault /esp warnings on the C5 and C4 Picassos when the switch has gone faulty.
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 22 2011, 01:39pm

Interesting Phil, but the times it has happened the rear tyre pressure was low and topping up cleared the warnings

I had no problems again today but as the brake pedal switch is a cheap fix, I may well try that first if it comes back
Website
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 23 2011, 10:32am

Well ESP light came on at startup today, followed by the other warnings for handbrake so when I got to the post office I checked the tyre pressures and.... they are OK so that rules them out.

If it gets worse I'll look at replacing the brake pedal switch as that's the cheap and easy option.
Website
Cactus   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 11:20am
Hi Paul, how do you repair the damage wire? Which wire is it? the brake wire?
Cactus   
Sun Apr 03 2011, 10:59pm
I have my brake sensor problem fixed after a week with the mechanic. I had my timing belt, tensioner, rollers, water pump and accessory belt change at the same time, hence the time it take. The total cost for all these changes is $2500 AUD.

Apparently the reason my brake sensor warning of brake worn was because the guy who fitted my brake pad last time didn't do a proper job, the cable fell off and it rub on to the disc, which cause the warning message.
Trainman   
Mon Apr 04 2011, 07:02am

Member No: #86
Cactus wrote ...

I have my brake sensor problem fixed after a week with the mechanic. I had my timing belt, tensioner, rollers, water pump and accessory belt change at the same time, hence the time it take. The total cost for all these changes is $2500 AUD.

GULP!!!!
C6Dave   
Mon Apr 04 2011, 08:14am

Doesn't sound much better in £'s as it's circa £1,600
Website
C6Dave   
Mon Apr 11 2011, 06:15am

3 weeks later and it hasn't happened again and I haven't done anything to the car, weird.
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club