C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Ashtray Illumination?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
magicands   
Sun Apr 21 2013, 02:34pm
Member No: #1021
Having managed to remove the radio head and climate control fascia (at long last and with the correct Torx head screwdriver on an allen type key)I removed what I assumed to be a Faulty 12v 1.2W ashtray lamp which looked fine to me.
I put a new one in place but this still does not illuminate.
I tried with engine running and still nothing so I assume that power is not reaching the lamp.
I also assume (may well be wrong ) that this failure also prevents the sport and suspension lamps from lighting up by the gearshift & may well also prevent the ambient door lights from working.
Its not a fuse as far as I can tell as other equipment on that fuse is still working perfectly well?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Website
Trainman   
Sun Apr 21 2013, 05:56pm

Member No: #86
Daft question but have you tried with the light on? also wait until it goes dark and then try it, could be related to the light sensor
magicands   
Mon Apr 22 2013, 02:59pm
Hi Trainman, I did put all lights on (if that's what you mean?) and have engine running but no illumination at the ashtray lamp at all.

The ashtray lamp plugs into a plastic retainer with two small flat blade pins or feet at the opposite end which then plugs into the main wiring loom so I guess this lamp holder could be faulty, although i doubt it very much!

I have not tried at night as I assumed that when the Radio and climate buttoms are illuminated then so should the lamp in the ashtray?

I will have a look at this though but once again doubt this is why I have no illumination.

Next course of action is to use a multimeter and see if indeed I have a supply to the lamp holder, if not then God only knows where the fault could lie, chasing wiring faults would be HUGELY costly at my Citroen dealership.

It would be nice to have the sport and suspension buttons light up, I don't give a toss about the ashtray lamp and I am only trying to get this to work as I think that my lack of interior lighting is possibly connected to the ashtray?

Whilst here, does anybody know if the Speed limit and cruise control buttons should illuminate on the steering wheel as once again mine do NOT?
Website
Hattershaun   
Mon Apr 22 2013, 08:46pm
Member No: #320
Cruise control buttons aren't illuminated, sorry!
smihaialex   
Tue Apr 23 2013, 07:49pm
Member No: #1031
This reminds me of a glitch in the C4's design, where, if the ashtray light bulb goes out, the headlight height adjustment stops working )

Cheerios,
Sam
magicands   
Wed Apr 24 2013, 10:55am
smihaialex wrote ...

This reminds me of a glitch in the C4's design, where, if the ashtray light bulb goes out, the headlight height adjustment stops working )

Cheerios,
Sam

Exactly, C6Dave mentioned this in an earlier topic. Trouble is where the bloomin hell do you start tracing the fault?
Website
smihaialex   
Wed Apr 24 2013, 09:16pm
Usually you find out about it on a forum (much like this one), except in this case, others will find out from your experience and not the other way around ( hope it helps with your motivation, to know that you're not doing this just for yourself, but for posterity )

Cheers,
Sam
magicands   
Thu Apr 25 2013, 02:57pm
smihaialex wrote ...

Usually you find out about it on a forum (much like this one), except in this case, others will find out from your experience and not the other way around ( hope it helps with your motivation, to know that you're not doing this just for yourself, but for posterity )

Cheers,
Sam

That's really very nice to know (LOL)
I will take a multi-meter to the wiring and have a look, I am hoping that the bulb Holder is at fault here with voltage reaching that but then not the lamp which plugs into the holder. If not then I'm really snookered & would need a wiring schematic and a good electrician!!
Its more likely that I forget the whole concept and live in the dark as i may cause more damage, as the saying goes, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Website
smihaialex   
Fri Jan 31 2014, 07:11pm
Quick question: what are the steps to replace the ashtray bulb?!?

Thank yo,
Sam
magicands   
Sat Feb 01 2014, 01:02pm
RT3/4/5 has to be removed or at least pulled forward, remove heater control unit or again pull forward to gain access, remove ashtray and you can then get at the lamp.
The RT and heater are all held in with Torx head screws.
I replaced my lamp about 6 months ago so my memory of the process is vague......wish I had not bothered though as it still does not work!!
Be careful as plastic clips can break quite easily, you have to have a delicate touch.
Website
diyjoke   
Tue Feb 04 2014, 03:18am
Member No: #354
Right this will probably sound really stupid; I won't be offended if anyone calls me an idiot because I'm used to it! What about the physical buttons that do the brightness adjustments? I've been playing around with this and.........

Just checked mine again (2.2 Exclusive): ashtray light is very, very dim even on the highest setting it would not be visible at all in daylight. In the pitch dark and set at the highest it doesn't illuminate the bowl of the ashtray but just lends a hue to where the hole is when it's open.

Using the hard buttons on side of the NaviDrive to increase/decrease the brightness - there are about 8 distinct changes in brightness from the lowest to the highest setting. The ashtray is only effectively illuminated on about the last two highest settings.

The fascia buttons, ambient door lighting, dashboard/instruments, seat position adjustment buttons, raise/lower/sport suspension buttons all vary in brightness accordingly.

I like the ambient lighting and (sadly) the ashtray lighting but hate the dashboard blinding me when night driving. I've considered getting some tinted film (like for privacy windows) and sticking some of this over the dashboard display so that I can have the lighting up to a higher level but keep the obvious glare from the instruments down to an acceptable level.

Just a thought about the buttons as there seems to be a common theme going on?

Regards,
Martin
Hattershaun   
Tue Feb 04 2014, 06:45pm
Member No: #320
What happens when you press the 'dark' button on the radio head unit, (at night with headlights on)?
Hopefully, the Nav screen goes dark on the first press of the button, then the remaining dash lights go out with the second press of the button and all the lights turn on with a third press of the button.

Does the ambient lighting remain lit up whilst the dash lights are turned off? I think this is what you are trying to achieve.
magicands   
Mon Apr 27 2015, 07:15pm
I still have NO ashtray illumination, no ambient lighting at the doors and no illumination of the sport mode/ suspension height buttons.
As its been a year or so since I posted this thread I was hoping that somebody else might come up with a remedy or possible solution?
Website
Norman   
Tue Apr 28 2015, 01:11pm
Member No: #364
Hi Magicands.
I have ashtray illumination which is quite bright its a clear colour sort of off white and lights up the ashtree nicely, together with the sport mode/suspension height buttons it look like it could be turned off if it is controlled by a cpu or a bad connection or fuse, the ambient lighting barely works very poor and not consistence along its length considering its suppost to be single led at one end

Norman.
magicands   
Tue Apr 28 2015, 02:25pm
Hi Norman,
I did check the related fuse but its not that as other electrical items used by this fuse still function.
Not sure if it can or can't be turned off by the CPU or not, perhaps you could enhance on that comment?
It could easily be a bad connection from a live feed or earth but this is baffling as the buttons do function when pressed so they obviously have power to them but NO ILLUMINATION.
I purchased new buttons thinking that the tiny lamps may have burned out in the set that came with the car but the new buttons do not light up either??
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club