C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Suspension update

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
drummond   
Sun Sep 26 2010, 05:31pm
Member No: #238
Idiot question- does anyone have a "shudder" at high speed? It's as if the suspension is rearranging itself. And no, I've only had this on a C6...
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 26 2010, 05:59pm

Member No: #1
No, never experienced anything like a 'shudder' at speed I'm afraid.
Website
verycleverman   
Sun Sep 26 2010, 10:53pm
Member No: #65
C6Dave wrote ...

Well someone posted me a link to this video, is it as good as they indicate:

I doubt it. And why are they using the background music from a '70s p**n movie?

Pete.
RichardKC6   
Mon Sep 27 2010, 07:19am
Member No: #49
C6Dave wrote ...

Well someone posted me a link to this video, is it as good as they indicate:

Video removed for quote!

I'd say that driven smoothly the C6 is rewarding on different surfaces. It's how it varies when adjusting to your driving style that can cause the odd shift in perception.

I feel a lot better about the steering on mine having driven a new Fiat 500, for example. That has a less variable approach, but switches between modes.

Nice to see the 3.0HDi twin pipes finally, too!
RichardKC6   
Mon Sep 27 2010, 07:21am
Member No: #49
drummond wrote ...

Idiot question- does anyone have a "shudder" at high speed? It's as if the suspension is rearranging itself. And no, I've only had this on a C6...

Only when Citroën fitted a duff wheel after a tyre change. The suspension adjustment generally is noticeable around 45-55mph on poor motorway surfaces, and should go away in sport mode. At high speed the car is flawless, but you're not allowed to do what I'd think of as a C6's "high" speeds in the UK.
tonyrome   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 09:00pm
Member No: #15
RichardKC6 wrote ...
Nice to see the 3.0HDi twin pipes finally, too!

Yeah, I noted this on the original threads about the 3 litre HDi. Definitely looks a lot better than the unbalanced twin pipes of the 2.7.

Re the ride quality, I think it's much better at higher speeds. The low speed ride is actually not very good, in my opinion.
dsharples   
Thu Sep 30 2010, 09:44pm
Member No: #119
I've lived with suspension update on my 2007 2.7HDI for just over a month now, and here are my thoughts.

On initially receiving my car, I felt I had ruined it! The ride felt significantly firmer.

However, over the intervening weeks, I'm not sure if I've adjusted to it, or if it has adjusted to me.

Pros:
Much better turn in on cornering (a sportier C6!)
Much better feel on country roads (but the ride becomes firm)
No or much less rocking from side to side sickeningly on dual carriageways (not sure if this was linked to the ruts in road)
(In fact, the car feels more "late XM" than "C6")

Cons:
Front of the car feels "firm", if not in semi-permanent, but not quite, sport-like suspension.
Rear of the car feels "soft" most of the time
Speed humps are now met with a "bump" both up and down (before you would ride gently up, and "crash" down.
Low speed ride has worsened (too jiggly on broken surfaces), and seems to cause "sports mode" to be used more/earlier.
(Again - quite late-XM like).

My wife thinks the C6 feels "much better now" - and "feels better to drive" - but she drives a Benz with AMG suspension - so she's got used to Merc Seats and a bone-shaking ride.

When I threatened to have the C6 reverted to its "super soft" former self, she bitterly objected, as she found the old experience too disconnected, and she felt it gave her less confidence in driving and positioning what is a sizeable car.

Just my opinion...
tonyrome   
Tue Oct 19 2010, 01:07pm
C6Dave wrote ...
The car felt a bit 'wallowy' at first but the Service Manager convinced me after a long test drive that the suspension would 'adapt to my driving style' after a while

I've covered plenty of miles in the last 12 months, including a recent 4000km round trip through France, Italy etc. on some seriously twisty mountain roads but the suspension is still far too wallowy for me, even on the Sport suspension setting. In fact, I may be forced to sell the car, as it is causing passengers to feel nauseous, even though I usually drive very smoothly and carefully when passengers are on board!

I've just booked the car in to the dealer, to change the 18s for my 17s with winter tyres and I will try one more time to get the suspension/engine/gearbox updates done.
tonyrome   
Tue Oct 26 2010, 09:07am
I'm just back from the dealer and, after parting with a rather excessive amount of money (140 EUR!), I have finally had the software updates completed on my car. It looked like a pretty simple process but took quite a while because they had to check and download the updates from the Citroen server. There were 6 engine updates and 4 suspension updates found and applied but nothing for the gearbox, which was a bit disappointing, as I'd hoped to resolve the 'lag' problem when accelerating from standstill.

On the drive back from the dealer, the suspension felt a little firmer but I will need to drive the car further to make a full comparison. The task is also made a little more difficult because the car is now fitted with the 17s and higher profile tyres but I hope there's now a lot less of the wallowy feel.
c6bern   
Tue Oct 26 2010, 10:26am
Member No: #148
The auto transmission (AWTF-80_SC) is used in MANY other cars.

The shifting of gears is managed by a sophisticated computer programme which over-sees a clutch-to-clutch actuation. Gear changes are accomplished by one clutch engaging the instant the clutch from the previous gear disengages. The transmission control module (TCM) is located inside the transmission housing, instead of being located outside it. The advantage of this is to reduce external wiring as well as to provide a constant environment for TCM operation which encourages longevity. One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

Wikipedia : - Click Here -

Perhaps the TCM programing for the Alfa Spider idles in gear? I'd check other manufactures programming, if my car didn't have a manual gearbox.
datmbn   
Wed Oct 27 2010, 09:36am
Member No: #193
Was it any fault codes in the suspension wen you updated ?

Your description of the wallow feeling makes me think of an faulty or disconnected steringwheel sensor.

The difference between sport mod and normal is not so big when driving striate "sport" do not prevent the suspension from soft mod just makes it jump into firm mod earlier.

When the wheel sensor gos bad it usually putts the suspension in hard all the time (causing some mechanics to disconnect it to get back to soft ride)

regards Mats
C6Dave   
Wed Oct 27 2010, 10:05am

Member No: #1
Mats, 'Sport Mode' basically disables the centre spheres on each axle (which have 3 on the C6) which is why it feels stiffer when selected

The update Tony and others have had done is to update the 'actuator' settings - Click Here - which basically takes some of the excess movement out under certain circumstances
Website
datmbn   
Wed Oct 27 2010, 10:46am
Member No: #193
It is true in early XM hydroactive 1 that "sport" disables the center sphere, but since hydroactive 2 and on the "sport" just makes the car go into hard setting sooner.

If you have no wheel sensor the car will not go into hard mod so easy, so i think this will cause an wallow feeling.
Thats why i asked if their was Anny fault cods.

regards Mats
tonyrome   
Wed Oct 27 2010, 04:42pm
Like Dave, I also understood that Sports mode disabled the central spheres.

Mats, there were no fault codes on the suspension when checked but there was too much lateral movement for my liking and quite a bit of 'dive' under braking, too. I will try to take the car for a decent run over the weekend, to assess the update. Initial reactions are that it is firmer but possibly noisier over rough surfaces.
XOO120   
Thu Oct 28 2010, 09:29am
I've enjoyed every bit of driving my C6 since 3 years on all kinds of roads and at all speeds. It handles extremely well and the ride is very comfortable. However, there's one unexpected exception.

When driving at speeds below 70 km/h on streets and roads where the surface is uneven (mostly due to poor repair work), but not presenting any major potholes or bumps, the rear wheels rebound. This is due to the total absence of damping (and especially in decompression mode) which is programmed for super soft drive mode according to the damping laws 1- 3. Setting the sport mode will not fix the problem as the coresponding damping effort (law 6) is too big.

One solution is, of course, to drive faster but this is not always possible.

I haven't heard of any update for the suspension and could neither open nor download the file mentioned her.

Has anyone experienced this and have you found a solution to the problem, please?

Regards,
Per
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club