C6 Lower Pivot Bearing Failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Tue Sep 20 2011, 07:20am
Member No: #21
Translationish

Wonderful new bearing arrangement speciially developed by SKF in collaboration with PSA for Peugeot 407 range.

Has excellent radial load carrying ability and rigidity while allowing required axial movement and angular misalignment. Has a French Patented name FRIP (see original text) based on SKF CARB bearing technology.

Compared to usual MacPherson Strut arrangement, allows for separation of steering and guidance functions.

Should spares be required, SKF market a kit which includes Top Ball Joint and Lower Pivot Bearing (part number for kit is given in French text) 2007

- Click Here -

Actually guys, this suspension arrangement is virtually identical to 1960s Formula Racing car technology, Alford and Alder suspension arrangements. Back then, bearing technology was not so advanced so lowr pivot had to be a plain bearing. When used on road cars, same issue with sealing as here.
michaelb   
Tue Sep 20 2011, 08:53am
Member No: #14
wrote ...
As part of research to improve the performance of the suspension, Peugeot in collaboration with SKF, has developed a new solution for the 407.
Unlike the usual MacPherson solution that provides both the functions of suspension and steering, the Peugeot 407 has a pivot coupled equipped with upper and lower triangles. The advantage of the independent steering axis allows all essort absorbing shocks was not to go with the flow direction, and thus ensuring a separation between the two functions. Inaddition, the carrier rotates moyeune not directly on the ends of the triangle, but on an aluminum support that connects the upper and lower triangles.

FRIP section, containing a CARB bearing in a cast housing

The FRIP (Lower Pivot Rotation Function) manufactured by SKF consists of unroulement CARB ® (toroidal roller bearings) assembled in a bearing steel. CARB ® bearing this has the advantage to allow radial displacement, axial and spills while providing a great rigiditéde all.

More specifically, when the Frip is damaged, direct impacts are felt at the suspension of clicks and a steering feel harder and a return to driving slower.

Moreover, given its location, CARB ® bearing is exposed to corrosion!

SKF has the exclusive on the aftermarket and is the only supplier to offer the Frip (and soon the kit complete with ball-VKDS13500) but you can already order the VKD13500!

+ Head = upper VKD13500 VKDS13500
IMPORTANT: Given the specificity of this suspension system, SKF has developed a manual download for the VKD / VKDS 13500.

Thus, one must be very vigilant and keen to see the package insert for mounting the kit.

Via Google Translate. Not the best but it will give you an idea. Remember direction means 'steering'.
Graham   
Tue Nov 05 2013, 03:24pm
regarding the bearing replacement on C6; I have a 58 reg which has only done 20,011 miles failed MOT on front offside bearing wear Oct 5th 2013 is this new record/
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 05 2013, 03:36pm

Member No: #1
Mileage is probably not the issue, water ingress into the joint appears to be the important factor in failure rate.
Website
gmerry   
Wed Nov 06 2013, 09:21am
Member No: #21
Graham, my 58 reg failed on Near Side front pivot joint on October 2011 (ie car was less than 3 years old) and the dealer from whom I had purchased the car tried to get me to pay for it!!.

As Dave says, these failures are down to the seal letting in water which washes out the small amount of grease. Corrosion then sets in - google Peugeot 407 ball joints and you will see some photos of what happens.

The secret for longevity is to fit a grease nipple (zerk fitting) to the replacement joint and keep this greased (say once or twice a year). Also, don't buy aftermarket joints, only fit genuine SKF items, as the geometry is wrong and the fitting also wrong which will stress other suspension components.

All this should be easily achieved by a competent independent garage.

Regards
G
markp   
Thu Feb 22 2018, 11:24am
Member No: #1746
For the record: I'm just getting my hub carriers replaced with the upgraded design. More info in this thread:
- Click Here -

Cheers,

Mark
ul9601   
Mon Jul 23 2018, 07:20pm
Member No: #1975
Hi guys
Is SKF VKD13500 the new design FRIP or old? If I were to order on eBay, who are trustworthy vendors?
Cheers
Sam
gbl   
Tue Jul 24 2018, 12:47pm
Member No: #936
Hi ul9601
SKF VKD13500 is the old FRIP design. I bought two VKD13500 a few years ago for the 2006 C6 I owned back then. Prior to installation, I carefully drilled and tapped a center hole for a grease nipple (and pierced the seal to allow grease to escape) according to good suggestions by others on this forum. It was an easy modification to do.
Obviously the sealing is never going to be as good as it is on the redesigned pivot with the new FRIP design, so the additional greasing option must be the best chance of a prolonging the life of an old style FRIP.
Hope this helps.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club