C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Lower Pivot Bearing Failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Paul   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 05:17pm
Member No: #345
I've just had my 2.2 MOTed and got an advisory 'nearside front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension joint'. The garage (John Grose Citroen Ipswich) have told me it nearly failed on this and the lower ball joint needs replacing.

I've got an extended Citroen warranty but they (Citroen) are declining to pay.

The car's done 36k miles and is just under 4 years old. It seems to me this is excessively early to have this fail and it should be covered by warranty.

Appreciate thoughts/tips on this. Thanks.
Ped   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 05:26pm
Member No: #82
I had the same thing with mine, after it had done about 55K and after owning the car for less than a year, where I had driven less than 6K

They decided to do the work under warranty because I protested and said that the joint should have been found under the 'pre delivery inspection' which I am convinced never happened. They made the original dealer pay for the work.

However at my service they found slight play in a different ball joint which wasn't covered, they replaced that for about £250. I almost couldn't be bothered going through it all again but it's all good now.

If you have had the car 4 years, though I agree it's early for that part to fail, you might have a hard time getting it replaced as a good will gesture, but I would definitely give it a good go. Don't take no for an answer and let us know how you get on.

I can find part numbers for my joint(s) if you like but they aren't to hand right now...

Cheers
ped
Trainman   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 06:15pm

Member No: #86
Ped wrote ...
If you have had the car 4 years, though I agree it's early for that part to fail, you might have a hard time getting it replaced as a good will gesture, but I would definitely give it a good go. Don't take no for an answer and let us know how you get on.

Paul,

I think PED ha slightly misunderstood, am I right that the car is 4 years old? I too, have had this problem and had both of mine replaced under warranty. I'm guessing you could also claim, depending on the length of time you've had the car that, it should of been picked up by the dealer, and as such, "unfit for purpose" incontravention of the sale of goods act. My first instinct though would be to ring the customer services office at Slough and speak to them directly.
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 07:00pm

Member No: #1
To play devils advocate, it is a 'wear and tear' item so warranties don't normally cover that so your depending on the goodwill of Citroen unless there are other factors as pointed out above

If you bought the car used with a 12 month warranty that has just expired you may get support, if you bought it new 4 years ago and it's been out of warranty a year well............

If the car is out of warranty there is no reason why you need to pay Citroen Dealer prices to get it replaced

Ball Joint Kit 381765 or 381766 (depending on side) costs £69.29 from Citroen so get a local garage change it at far lower labour costs

You really need to give the full picture as your initial post isn't really clear on the actual position.
Website
C6Paul   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:39pm
Thanks for the tips. Just to clarify - I bought the car 9 months ago from a Citroen dealer (a different one to where the MOT was done), it came with a 12 month Citroen Select warranty. They serviced it at the time too.

Since then I've done under 5k miles in it.

Based on your feedback, I plan to go back to the dealer I purchased it from first, and take it up with them, then if no joy try Slough.
Trainman   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 09:05pm

C6Paul wrote ...
I bought the car 9 months ago from a Citroen dealer (a different one to where the MOT was done), it came with a 12 month Citroen Select warranty. They serviced it at the time too.

Paul,

I can't see what the issue is with the warrenty/Citroen. I had no trouble at all with my local dealer doing the same thing, I bought my car from a different dealer as well, when you do take it back, get them to have a look at the pivot on the bottom of the hub. I was told that "Citroen recommend if the pivot is pitted then you need to replace the hub as well" If memory serves me right these are about £130.00 complete with new ball joints.

Both of mine were replaced under the same warrenty scheme that you have, and at about 20,000 mile more. If you need anymore help, drop me a PM with a contact number, I'm more than happy share what I know.
Ped   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 09:45pm
Member No: #82
I see, OK then the situation is very similar to mine - just go direct to Slough and get them to do the legwork, the fault should have been picked up when the car had it's pre delivery inspection. Ask for proof that the inspection was done and demand that they replace it (even though the part is, as Dave says' under 'wear and tear')

Slough were excellent when dealing with me, they couldn't have been more helpful and I'm glad I went straight to them.

Cheers
ped
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 08:32am

Member No: #1
Much clearer now...

As already said, if it has a Citroen Select 12 month warranty then you really need to approach Citroen
Website
C6Paul   
Mon Feb 14 2011, 05:22pm
Thanks to all your help, especially Trainman/Steve, as Citroen eventually relented and did the repair under warranty. Just returned from the garage now with a new balljoint!
Trainman   
Mon Feb 14 2011, 07:51pm

Paul,

As I said earlier, your more than welcome, that's what we are all here for
gmerry   
Mon Feb 14 2011, 10:56pm
Member No: #21
See post on Peugeot model which I'm pretty sure uses same ball joint as C6. Basic design problem with poor / non-existent sealing of the ball joint!

- Click Here -

THE FOLLOWING IS A QUOTE FROM THE SAME WEBSITE AS THE GUARDIAN LINK

The basic problem is that car manufacturers are only interested in selling cars, not making them reliable or dealing with the faults when they occur.

I bought a Peugeot 407 and after 35000 miles it developed a fault with the swivel bearings. I emailed Peugeot customer service (lol, their description not mine) and was categorically told that there were no known problems with this joint.

When I went to Google, suddenly a whole mass of information about the fault was found, and when I went back to Peugeot they still denied it.

When the car went into the Peugeot dealer for its service, the service manager told me that there was a scheme whereby Peugeot would replace the joints. By this time the car was over 3 years old so they would only pay for the parts, but if the car had been less than 3 years old ( ie, when I first emailed to Peugeot) they would have paid for the labour as well.

Latest reports show that new car sales are down again. Doubtlessly the manufacturers are blaming the economy, but whilst they treat customers badly, they shouldn't be surprised if they don't bother buying a new car.

Headline advertising about lifetime guarantees is the latest cynical ploy. How about promising to replace any faulty parts free - no quibble.
cruiserphil   
Wed Jun 01 2011, 04:34pm

Member No: #38
Lads, I posted this in a different thread but not sure if it was the right place to put it so here it is again.

Just referring to the bottom ball joint. I had to replace the joint on the 2007 car with about 54K miles two weeks ago.

It had a lot of slack. When I dismantled it, all the grease had been washed out and the reside looked like mud. There was nothing wrong with the sealing boot. Roller and race wise it was in a mess.

What we noticed though was when pressing on the new pivot joint that the sealing of the top boot only relies on its conact with the spigot seat on the bottom of the hub and it's not hard to imagine water getting in so it's one to watch. In the maintenance instruction for replacement it insists that the replacement joint seal must have a colour code on it which suggests possibly an upgraded seal. The item is SKF so it's disappointing to see it fail this early.

I notice that from a certain RPO number Citroen have modified the hub and fitted a seal to the spigot seat to mate with the joint. I presume you would have to change the hub if you wanted to benefit from this upgrade? Any views?

Regards,

Phil C.
dsharples   
Wed Sep 14 2011, 11:08pm
Member No: #119
I've also had to have my front ball joints replaced over the last three days, following an MOT failure on Monday. Citroen Extended Warranty paid for the failed side, Citroen UK, Dealer Good Will and I paid for the other, nearly-failed side. Both Ball Joints and Swivel Hub had to be replaced (which I believe is supplied as one complete assembly with bearings etc.) + ABS sensors.

I was told that a Citroen InfoRapid which refers to likely hub damage/replacement/inspection when ball joints are excessively worn. The part number used (364697) is a replacement part that supersedes the original for my RP number, and as used on later C6's. Hopefully the assembly will last more than 45k miles, as this, I'm told, would be £480 per side job!

Whilst I have to offer a big "thanks" to all parties for their goodwill, including Citroen UK and John Grose Ipswich, I can't help but feel that 45k does seem a short life for a set of ball joints.. I've never had to replace them on XMs or BXs which I've driven from nearly new to 85k miles+.
tonyrome   
Thu Sep 15 2011, 07:49am
Member No: #15
dsharples wrote ...
Whilst I have to offer a big "thanks" to all parties for their goodwill, including Citroen UK and John Grose Ipswich, I can't help but feel that 45k does seem a short life for a set of ball joints.. I've never had to replace them on XMs or BXs which I've driven from nearly new to 85k miles+.

This is exactly the kind of thing I have been complaining about and which is just not good enough on a 'prestige' car.

As far as I'm concerned, Citroen used sub-standard components, if they only last 45K miles before needing replacement. I've had all this work done (and more) - at my own expense and without any goodwill gestures from Citroen UK, whose responses have been pathetic, quite frankly - and all at between 30K and 50K miles! On every other car I've ever owned, these components never needed to be replaced at such low mileages. Absolutely shocking.
michaelb   
Thu Sep 15 2011, 09:16am
Member No: #14
Yep, mine too (OSF) replaced at 10,000 - yes ten thousand miles - as part of a wheel bearing replacement under warranty.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club