Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

C6 2.2 manual - any thoughts?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
2cvc6   
Sun Feb 12 2012, 09:54am
Member No: #161
hi , 18 months after selling my C6 2.7 , I'm having pangs again! Considering a 2.2 manual for economy reasons , are there any potential financial timebombs with this model? I think it must have a dual mass flywheel and know these can fail very expensively on some cars
thanks in anticipation!
Rob
C6Dave   
Sun Feb 12 2012, 10:22am

Member No: #1
There less complex that the 2.7 with no adaptive suspension or speed related rear spoiler to worry about.

All hdi manuals have Dual Mass Flywheels, but if it did go you could probably find a conversion kit to go back to a standard one
Website
mog1842   
Mon Feb 13 2012, 02:29pm
Member No: #268
I have owned my 2.2 manual for 30 months. Apart from the usual consumables, the only let down I have had was on one of the tyre pressure sensors, but they are on all C6s anyway.

The 2.2 engine was used in C5s in the same spec.

It gives very good performance and decent economy (high 30s, low 40s). You also get cheap(er) road tax, and the bonus of 17" wheels with higher profile tyres.

Is the suspension inferior to the V6s? I don't know, but it's difficult to see how it could be any better.

Only a handful of 2.2 manuals found their way to the UK, so your choice will be very limited. There is/was one such for sale on Autotrader.
citrohanc6   
Mon Feb 13 2012, 02:54pm
Member No: #329
my two comments on the manual:

1. the hydraulic clutch; I prefer a cable as on the Xm (or the autobox 2.2?).

2. the gear change to reverse is difficult/heavy even double clutched although this may be exemplary for my car.

gmerry   
Mon Feb 13 2012, 08:04pm
Member No: #21
2.2 4 Pot Engine with a Manual Gear Shift?

Personally I can't see the point of a C6 with this kind of specification.

Respectfully
G
Trainman   
Tue Feb 14 2012, 12:15am

Member No: #86
I'm lucky enough to have driven the 2.7 and the 2.2 C6 and although the 2.2 (auto) feels good enough on short journey's, I'm not sure that the same could be said of a 2.2 manual.

Having said that, I did have a 2.2 auto C5 (facelift) is a nice motor, BUT, I would rather have a 2.7 (bearing in mind this is a personal choice).

power to weight ratio, big engine, big car...........
lrhart   
Tue Feb 14 2012, 01:07am
Member No: #97
Had mine for 3 years now, no problems whatsoever. No suspension or electrical issues, despite being used daily on a gravel mountain track up to the house.

Only done about 50,000 Kms since new, it was an ex-demo model.

Personally I prefer the manual box, particularly on twisty mountain roads. I had the factory (Bosal detachable) towbar fitted, and have a towed a double horsebox, containing 2 mules, with it.

I will be sad to see production cease, but the C6 might then become a collectable classic and start appreciating in value!
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 14 2012, 11:00am

Member No: #1
lrhart wrote ...

Personally I prefer the manual box, particularly on twisty mountain roads. I had the factory (Bosal detachable) towbar fitted, and have a towed a double horsebox, containing 2 mules, with it.

Nothing to stop you putting the auto box into 'selectronic' mode - push forward to change up, pull back to change down, just no clutch involved
Website
Grumpytvr   
Tue Feb 14 2012, 10:12pm
Member No: #742
I also have a C6 2.2 manual and it's great (in my humble opinion). I guess it's a matter of personal choice.

I don't disagree that the larger engine is smoother and the auto box is more in keeping with the character of the car. However, I've never liked automatic gearboxes, selectronic or not. They never seem to offer the same amount of control as a manual, but this is just a personal thing and in no way a bad reflection on cars with auto boxes.

As for living with a manual C6, no complaints so far - although my experience is limited to a couple of months. It's not a particularly quick car, but than that's not the point really. It's big and comfy and relaxing to drive.

The 2.2 HDI lump is a well known and a well thought of engine (according to a friend in the trade). I'm lead to believe that Citroen had an issue with premature clutch failure swith the 2.2 engine / gearbox unit that was rectified some time in 2009 and not necessarily a problem for the C6.

The tax is £190 per year and I'm getting around 35mpg (I travel around 250 - 300 miles per week) commuting in and out of Bristol every day. - which is better than the beat up 1.8 petrol Vectra it replaced.

The only slight issue has been getting used to the electric parking brake as you don't get the "creep" you do with an auto box it's a bit of an "all or nothing" manoeuvre once you've committed!

The only problem you'll have is finding one. When I bought mine it was one of 2 for sale that I could find in the uk...

Good luck!
2cvc6   
Thu Mar 29 2012, 06:05pm
Member No: #161
Thanks everyone for your input , I have recently bought a lovely 56 reg 2.7 exclusive in black with black interior and lounge seats , couldn't find my dream spec of Nova green with tan leather if such a car exists! Great to be an owner again , still think it's a true Citroen and the most beautiful modern car just hope I don't experience too many of the horrors posted on here so often!
Rob
Trainman   
Fri Mar 30 2012, 07:18am

Member No: #86
Rob,

Good luck with her, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience, I think I've only ever heard of one green C6 and that was a while ago, I seem to recall it having a black interior, but i might be wrong.........
Ped   
Fri Mar 30 2012, 07:24am
Member No: #82
I saw a green 'n' cream when I went to seal the deal on mine in Southampton. I'm pretty sure it was cream anyway.
James   
Tue Apr 10 2012, 04:06am
Member No: #817
Late comment I know, but my first C6 was a 2.2 Manual Lignage. Loved it so much I had to get another one. Can't fault the 2.2 Engine and the Manual gearbox is fine (same one used on the C5). The major issue is going to be finding one. In the end I had to get an auto, which uses about 10% more fuel. I figured that was the premium for getting a 10-plate, because I'd seen no manuals under 3 years old in 6 months of watching the web sites. [Of course now I've bought mine there'll be a glut of manuals]
speedfix   
Sun Oct 28 2012, 08:58pm
Member No: #1043
First update on the 2.2 HDI exclusive manual after nearly 4 weeks of ownership.
The car is just brill, handling, ride and power through the gears is remarkable,
twin type turbo gives the car a real growl!
Road noise that varries with road surface is on the noisy side.

Only prob so far was a total falure of the Navidrive audio etc etc.
After much time with various options after trying the re-initialisation proccess I let the local agent have a go with no luck.
Booked the car in to be left with them.
Next day I had another try, though I could here a slight noise from the cd turning in player, tried to eject the cd but nothing.
I then gently fed a blank cd into the aperture and could feel the cd in the player turning.
I then pressed the dark button control with the eject button three or more times and out popped the cd, the unit then came back into life and all is working fine.
sat nav etc ok.
Cancelled the car with the agent and let them know what seemed to work.
Hope it may help if it was to happen with any others.

Gobxoy   
Mon Oct 29 2012, 11:30am
Member No: #786
Result
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club