C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Headlight washer jet

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ped   
Sun Dec 26 2010, 07:52pm
Member No: #82
I hope it's just the cold weather but I noticed one of my washer jets hadn't retracted properly yesterday. I sort of pushed it back in but won't be sure if it's dodgy or not until I take the car out for an extended period. Has anyone else had any problems with them retracting?
JimC   
Sun Dec 26 2010, 10:07pm
Member No: #229
Mine wouldn't come out to wash the lights even when the windscreen washers were working (after the engine heat had done its busines). I then found a blown fuse but when I replaced it they still didn't work. A few days later the drivers side worked but the near-side still refused to come out.

However, the air temperature has just gone from -4 to +2 so tomorrow may help thaw things out a bit.

PS: Why have car manufacturers never routed the water pipe from the washer bottle to the screen & light washers around an engine water pipe? I rigged that up in an old V8 Rover many years ago and it worked a treat in the coldest of weather
Ringtone   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 12:41am
Member No: #285
Hi, mine stuck in the out position a week ago when I drive 120 miles to cardiff on q very cold day -8 c. Left to go back on it's own which it duly did when the temperature increased. Looked at pushing it back but felt like it was going to snap so thought it would be best left to sort it self out. All ok now
michaelb   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 07:21am
Member No: #14
JimC wrote ...

PS: Why have car manufacturers never routed the water pipe from the washer bottle to the screen & light washers around an engine water pipe? I rigged that up in an old V8 Rover many years ago and it worked a treat in the coldest of weather

My 1982 Alfa GTV6 had one of the coolant pipes housed in a gallery going through the screenwash reservoir; it warmed the screenwash sufficiently that one often saw steam! It was bl00dy useful in the days before we had -20°C wash available.
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 07:55am

Member No: #1
I have one the same and am waiting for the weather to warm up as it's simply ice in the pipework.

It's very common on the C4's as well

Don't try to force it back as you could end up splitting the pipe
Website
datmbn   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:15am
Member No: #193
Dont you have antifreeze in the water in winter? 30% (basically alcohol) would be good down to -18 C I was driving Gottenburg to Motala 300 km in - 10--15 yesterday and no problems with screen or light wash

regards Mats
Trainman   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 10:15am

Member No: #86
Ped wrote ...

I hope it's just the cold weather but I noticed one of my washer jets hadn't retracted properly yesterday. I sort of pushed it back in but won't be sure if it's dodgy or not until I take the car out for an extended period. Has anyone else had any problems with them retracting?

Thank very much, you've just reminded me of another job to do, Mine don't work at all and haven't for a couple of months. another 'roundtoit' job.
Ped   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 11:17am
Reassuring to hear, thanks. One previous car of mine was a Volvo with the little wipers which NEVER worked, but I'm happy to wait and see if it sorts itself out. When I pushed it back in it wasn't giving much resistance so it should be fine.

Cheers
ped
Ped   
Mon Dec 27 2010, 05:04pm
Yeah no probs. All working fine.
C6Nikos   
Wed Dec 29 2010, 01:05pm
Member No: #132
On a related topic, is there any way to alter the frequency of headlamp washes? My old BMW used to squirt the lights every fifth wash of the windscreen. The Citroen seems to do lights and windscreen every time, which depletes the screenwash rather quickly.
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 30 2010, 10:00am

Not as far as I'm aware, If the lights are on and you wash the screen, the headlights also get washed

There is no manual setting to change it and I don't think there is one in the BSI settings either.
Website
pclark   
Thu Dec 30 2010, 11:27am
Member No: #3
I've noticed that if the washer fluid level is indicated low, the headlight washers do not operate, presumably to prioritise the remainder of the fluid for the windscreen.
ChrisHunter   
Thu Dec 30 2010, 06:58pm
Member No: #188
ours are fine, too ... last time we filled-up the reservoir we added screenwash whatever it is (ie: the proper stuff this time, rather than the Tesco's no-need to dilute we tried last year) & almost immediately weather-temperatures dropped well below zero, to -10degC, plus or minus a degree or two, depending on the day (-15degC was the worst) ... we chose our moments carefully when we used them (ie: escape-route available) and were really quite surprised to have absolutely no problem at all ... indeed, I was pretty sure Citroën must have included nozzle & pipe heaters in their spec' !
Grumpytvr   
Sat Dec 01 2012, 06:14pm
Member No: #742
Hi Folks,

I've resurrected this thread following my head light washer issues tagged onto here:

- Click Here -

I checked the fuse in the engine bay and it was blown, so this was replaced. I've also had the pump out and checked it's operation with another voltage source and it works fine.

I've plugged the car into Lexia and the fault codes are F998: Headlamp washer control (after I replaced the fuse) and B998: Headlamp washer control - Short circuit to:- (I presume earth). These have both now been cleared but the washers are still not working.

The reservoir has been brimmed, so it's not that the level is too low. I'm also making sure the lights are on before operating the windscreen washers, so it's not that either.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems? I'm guessing (as the fault code says) that there's a short in the system somewhere, does anyone know if there are any common areas where these cables could rub through / become damaged?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.....

Cheers

Tom

C6Dave   
Sat Dec 01 2012, 07:04pm

The washer jets are simply pushed out bt water pressure.

It sounds like your pump has failed. Ignore the voltage check, others have tested the same way, got the same result and eventually had to change the pump.

If it's not producing enough flow/pressure, the jets just won't pop up.

BTW you need to make sure that the wash fluid is the correct winter strength as they can freeze and pop out of the bumper all on their own.

The best I have found was from Lidl: - Click Here -
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club