Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Front wishbone Rear bush

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
bdeithrick   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 08:28pm
Member No: #70
My Bushes are gone both knackered. so i got a set from local inter-parts shop.. after a few hours removing the wishbone the replacement did not fit it was different, it came off the C6 page in the catalogue, both first-line febi and QH are wrong.

my bush has a diameter of 50mm and the new one is 45mm
also the hole in it is level with the centre line. the new one is level with the top of the bush.

What do i Do?? Citroen main dealer here says i have to buy the whole wishbone, at €175 each// NO NO no not paying that. AND the bush on the end could still be wrong ,, anyone ?? i have a pic ill try to include.. the left is the old bush.

sorry i cant add a photo dont know how. very complicated ?
tonyrome   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 08:59pm
Member No: #15
bdeithrick wrote ...
sorry i cant add a photo dont know how. very complicated ?

No, it's easy. When you post a comment, look below the text box, to the File to Attach section and simply use the Browse button to search for the image you want to upload.
gmerry   
Tue Dec 14 2010, 09:02pm
Member No: #21
bdrk, get hold of a parts diagram for the front suspension and see whether the rear bush is even listed as a spare part.

regards
G
C6Dave   
Wed Dec 15 2010, 07:54am

Member No: #1
gmerry wrote ...

bdrk, get hold of a parts diagram for the front suspension and see whether the rear bush is even listed as a spare part.

It's here in Doc Library: - Click Here -
Website
bdeithrick   
Fri Dec 17 2010, 05:37pm
its sold as all in one unit at €175, im frighted to but this as the rear bush will probably be wrong as is FCA6340 on ebay, the rear bush is the wrong in the same areas.

I need a 50mm bush and the hole to be in the centre line. if i could send anyone the photo over the phone and they would upload it that would be great
bdeithrick   
Wed Apr 06 2011, 07:04pm
UPDATE
i bought 2 wishbones in GSF in London, much cheaper and knowing they wont fit the car. my mate and genius Damo , engineered 4 10mm spacers to fit under and over the rear bush.

any one tried the buy front wishbones and fit them ??????
photos
- Click Here -
- Click Here -
- Click Here -
- Click Here -

i would say Citroen main dealers would just fit the part and have the bottom angle at the ball joint all out of shape . Mine are in at right trajectory.
nickyg   
Tue May 07 2013, 12:15pm
Member No: #100
Hi guys,

Had another look through the forum and, apart from bdeithricks shim solution, I'm not sure it's entirely clear if we have an answer, as to whether any of us have actually successfully refurbished our wishbones with these aftermarket rear bushes.

I was going to attempt it last year, only it quickly became clear my frip joint was the chief culprit, so I done that along with my disks and pads.

However, I have some new OEM drop links, and ARB bushings to go on, and I plan to do the rear wishbone bush along with the large vertically set bush that gmerry successfully sourced that holds the front end of the wishbone.

We know the rest of the parts mentioned above, they are are good to go, but has anyone from this forum actually bought and fitted one of these aftermarket wishbone rear bushes successfully? (without shims etc). It seems from bdeithricks experience that there may be an element of confusion in the aftermarket suppliers catalogues as to the universality of 407 and C6 double wishbone parts.

Cheers. Nicky

gmerry   
Fri May 10 2013, 10:33am
Hi Nicky, you ask a very good question.

A couple of points and some further questions:-

1/ QH no longer in business so no point in asking their technical people

2/ Febi list part number 32116 for all variants of the C6 but also show this as being used on the 407 so looks as though this error has propagated across all the component manufacturer's databases

3/ My understanding from bdeth's postings is that the difference in the mounting can be corrected via a shim - but will this still mean the internal diameter of the bush where it interfaces with the wishbone forging will be incorrect?

4/ The C6 requires mounting holes for the suspension height sensors - do any of the aftermarket wishbones have these in the correct place? (this assumes one would replace the C6 wishbones with aftermarket Pug 407 items)

5/ The Europoarts website states that all of their C6 wishbone offerings are not suitable for cars with electronic adjustable suspension?

6/ Has anyone purchased a genuine Citroen C6 wishbone - 5 variants listed. Did if fit correctly?

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Fri May 10 2013, 12:46pm

Member No: #38
G,

In answer to 6., I purchased two genuine Citroen lower wishbones for the 06 car ( RPO 10804) and they fitted perfectly. They did not come with the brackets for the sensors but were drilled and tapped and it was just a matter of swapping over! The photo of the end bushing on the new wishbone is in the post I made on the change!

On the aftermarket parts question. I agree there appears to be confusion. My local motor factors ordered in an outer track rod end for me from Firstline based on the cars's description. When it arrived it was spot on in geometry except that the ball joint had a smaller diameter spigot. Definitely not for a C6! But when I gave him the Citroen part number it cross checked against a different Firstline part which turned out to be the correct one. I since bought an inner track rod and just gave him the Citroen part no. and what he got me was a correct fit. Now if I try him for such parts he prefers me to give him a Citroen part no. referencing the catalogues!

Regards,

Phil C.
nickyg   
Fri May 10 2013, 01:31pm
Hello again. I think bdeithrick actually fitted an aftermarket Delphi wishbone, with the included rear mounting still being the wrong shape.

It was to this he had the shims applied, as it seems that the separate aftermarket bush is too small in diameter to even fit over the "stub"

In effect, we are still faced with a situation where entire wishbones and a significant outlay is required to cure the "thump on pickup" that is indicative of these bushes having failed. I have these very symptoms.
The holes for the sensor bracket seem to be present in the aftermarket options btw.
gmerry   
Fri May 10 2013, 01:45pm
NickyG, thanks for clarifications.

Is it possible that PSA beefed up the 407 wishbone for the C6 application by increasing the diameter of the rear "spigot".

This would make me wary of fitting an aftermarket Delphi or any other brand of 407 wishbone.

It seems that a solution would to get the correct rubber bushing pressed into the aluminium rear forging (housing for rear bush).

Regards
G
nickyg   
Fri May 10 2013, 02:09pm
One more thought. Would it not be possible to press a suitably sized bushing into the original aluminium casing/mounting? Assuming one could be found.

I see that q-drive have a wishbone for about £50 on eurocarparts.

But really, I'm tempted to just throw my arms up and buy them from citroen.

Edit: didn't notice your post g! You and I came to similar to conclusions and posted at the time

nickyg   
Fri May 10 2013, 06:19pm
Sorry to keep adding on!

Been pondering this all day, and it seems from cruiserphils pictures on the ball joints thread that the rubber is actually bonded to the rear stub of the wishbone.

It is the tearing of this that is the failure, I think, as the intrinsic elasticity of the rubber bond damps both in a lateral and twisting, torsional fashion as the wishbone/arm moves.

This may negate even pressing in a suitably sourced bushing, as there would be no bond, thus no damping provided.

I am of the opinion now that there is simply no satisfactory way of getting round this. The wishbone/track control arm must be bought directly from Citroen.

Nicky
gmerry   
Mon May 13 2013, 08:48am
Nicky, your conclusion is almost certainly correct: use Citroen sourced OEM wishbones complete with rear bush if one wants to preserve suspension geometry and function. 407 wishbones appear NOT to be interchangeable.

If anyone wants to explore replacement of the rear bush, it would probably be necessary to use a fully bonded rubber bush (internal and external metal sleeve with rubber twisting in torsion).

See Fibet dot co dot uk for examples of these kinds of suspension bushes.
- Click Here -

I've attached an extract from their catalogue.

regards
G

gmerry   
Mon May 20 2013, 08:16am
Latest Update:

Ordered a genuine Citroen Replacement wishbone , up to RP11040, to be told that that part is obsolete and no longer available.

Replacement wishone will come in 3 parts. Any guesses as to what will appear, make them here!

Regards
G
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club