C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Directional Headlight fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Jason   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 09:51pm
Member No: #233
I have a mesage on the Alert Log which stays directional headlights fautly. Anyone else had the same problem? I guess it can be remedied by a quick software reset?
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 28 2010, 10:46pm

Member No: #1
Yes try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but it could be a faulty height sensor

Damp can get to the connectors and cause them to throw errors
Website
Jason   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 09:42pm
Member No: #233
Fault isn't with the software; the motor has packe up so it's being replaced under warranty. Just as well as the part is over £1,000, according to Citroen Coventry.
blackhatphil   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 08:41am
Member No: #882
C6Dave wrote ...

Yes try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but it could be a faulty height sensor

Damp can get to the connectors and cause them to throw errors

Are there other known "faults" with the directional headlights? I know they were working earlier in the week, but last night when I tried to show them to a friend, by turning the steering wheel when stationary they didn't swivel at all!
Another gremlin, like my electric seat that stopped working but mysteriously started again?!?

Cheers!

Phil
C6Dave   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 09:14am

Member No: #1
I thought the car had to be moving before the headlights swivelled.....
Website
Gobxoy   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:29am
Member No: #786
C6Dave wrote:-
I thought the car had to be moving before the headlights swivelled.....

Confirmed.......they also have a "park" mode.

If you turn the ignition off when the wheels are turned, next time you switch ignition on the headlights return themselves to pointy straight or "parked position" even though the road wheels are still turned.

C5 was the same.

darrell   
Tue Aug 13 2013, 01:46am
Member No: #699
I got the "directional headlights" fault this evening - I switched to sidelights only (it was still light - the headlamps come on quite early, compared to the C5). Later on, returning home in the dark - error had cleared and did not come back.
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 09 2014, 01:31pm
Member No: #1031
In my case, if you remember, I told you that my left hand side headlight was going out if directional headlights were on.

And you know how I fixed it: I just swapped the ignititers between them - installed left hand side igniter on the right hand side headlight, and the right hand side igniter on the left hand side headlight.

I have no ideea why this worked - it sounds more like Voo-Doo magic than engineering, but I had a strong feeling that the igniter was to blame for this behaviour and I tried everything. And this worked. And it's been working fine ever since, fingers crossed (both hands and both feet ((: ).

Cheerios,
Sam
smihaialex   
Mon Jan 13 2014, 10:25am
Member No: #1031
My quickfix was shortlived however, because after only one week of severely enjoying my directional headlights, the fault returned, so I swapped them back and disabled the feature from the car's main menu.

What I did find through this exercise though, is that the fault resides with the wires/connectors in the headlight unit, and not the igniters, because even with the igniters switched between them, the same headlight went out - the left hand side one.

Will wait for warm weather, take the bumper off, take the headlight unit off the car and fiddle with it until I either fix it or completely break it and buy a new one (which is a whopping 1,000 punds sterling by the way).

Cheerios,
Sam
magicands   
Mon Jan 13 2014, 07:08pm
Member No: #1021
There are headlight units on eBay, here is just 1 example

- Click Here -
Website
joopajaa   
Sun Apr 14 2019, 05:35am
Member No: #3261
Hi mine right hand side headlamp stopped moving a while ago. Now I got blinkin green light on the dash. The driving light it self works fine - it just wont move anymore. My lexia tells me that "right ride headlight no communication" or so - is there a fuse for the directional servos? This one might be caused by me, I had a moisture silicate bag taped on the lamp cover - it might have been too bulky and blocked the servos from moving the light :/
cruiserphil   
Sun Apr 14 2019, 05:33pm

Member No: #38
Hello Joopa,

Could it be a problem in the connector plug/socket on the lamp? Worth checking first.

Best regards,

Phil C.
joopajaa   
Mon Apr 15 2019, 05:27am
I found only one connector and it was fine (well, the xenon works). Should there be another?
joopajaa   
Sat Aug 24 2019, 08:10am
I still have the problem: right side xenen faces down. Fault code says "error communicating with RH electric unit" or so. Where the electric unit is? Inside the headlamp? I have MOT soon - have to do something.
joopajaa   
Sat Aug 24 2019, 08:18am

This one. Is this the ballast one so its integrated? I did no see this connector - is it connected to headlight from underneath?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club