C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Greetings from the Midlands

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
DaveB   
Mon Jan 25 2010, 10:58pm
Member No: #17
tonyrome - Yes, the car came with the 18s and original Michelins but I bought a set of 17s (as fitted to the 3 litre petrol and 2.2 HDi originally), which had Michelin winter tyres fitted. I thought it might be prudent, as I knew I'd be in Berlin over the winter period and needed to make some journeys during that time. I'm thankful I bought them because the conditions here have been treacherous this winter, worse than in the last few years. Road noise is greatly reduced as a result of the wheel size, tyre profile and tyre compound, as you'll read elsewhere on the forum. I'll switch back to the 18s in April.

I guess we are lucky around here with the weather in this respect in that the snow (when there is some) only comes for a few days and so it is not really worth having two sets of wheels. The worst road surfaces tend to be the types and numbers of speed bumps and traffic calming. There does seem to be a reasonable number of tyre manufacturers making the 18" C6 size tyres and I would gladly trade off some of the longevity of the Michelins for a reduction in noise in order to ake the most of the cars general quietness.

gmerry - DaveB, thanks for replies. Very interested to see if your built-in telephone works. I was just going to use mine in conjunction with my normal handset divert mode for in-coming calls but no joy as of yet. On the roof rack, I'll let you know has this works: expecting delivery this week. The 17" tyres I'm running at the moment ar Avon Icetourings which are 101 loaded rated (slightly higher than the homologated rated tyre). As they are winter tyres with a M&S tread and silica tyres only rated as a V tyre. In the UK this means I will need to keep my speed below 130mph or so !!
Regards

Had a chat with a local used Citroen sales guy who it turns out has had a couple of C6's and used the phone feature. He said the in car phone in basicaly completely unlocked. All he did was put in the card from his works phone and it worked fine. So I inserted the sim from my phone into the car slot whilst everything was switched off. Switched on and it worked stright away - all numbers on sim were accessable as were text messages. Interestingly the car actually reads the texts messages so you with a voice so you can hear the message/text.

The card in my phone is a 3g one so not sure why you have a problem. The guy said his customers either get a duplicate card or have a separate pay as you go for the car and forward calls to the car from the handset. Hope this helps. Please keep me posted on the roof rack - any pictures would be great. The roads are quite clear here tonight so I had a little 'proper' play with the gear and suspension sport modes - very nice once in a while - much flatter cornering and crisp changes - but Still think I can find a better tyre selection for this area though.
Black&Tan   
Sun Jan 31 2010, 09:05pm
Member No: #43
Hello, I just joined the Forum after buying a C6 about three weeks ago. Like the poster below - DaveB - I got a black one, also an Exclusive, 2007, but with about 30k miles and tan leather.

In fact, I was totally adamant that it had to be black and had to have the tan leather seats and so I spent quite some months waiting for one to come on the market. It was worth the wait, though, as I love it (those tan leather seats and interior are going to be a nightmare to look after, though, and my wife is already annoyed by my telling her how to get in without catching her feet on the door).

The wait included a week of having it on my drive but using my wife's C1 to go to work because the weather was too bad for me to venture out in it. (The worst weather for 30 years was not a good time to take out a new car for the first time!) I am pretty sure it is the only one around here; the only other C6 I have seen belongs to the Dealer Manager in Derby (I reckon dealers must account for 90% of new ones!).

Not too many niggles as yet, but one is getting the telephone system to work. A simple bluetooth for my current mobile would have been better, but that appears to have been too straightforward! I have now got another SIM card and am going to try and insert it tomorrow and then set an auto-forward from my regular mobile.

Wish me luck or offer me some tips!!
DaveB   
Tue Feb 16 2010, 10:24pm
Following on from the tyre comments - Whilst purchasing a car with low mileage is usually a good idea there can be drawbacks as I have just found out. The car is of low mileage, in good condition and the tyres have plenty of tread.

After having it for a couple of weeks and giving it its first wash I noticed that all the tyres had cracks in them. Upon seeking expert advise I was told by a number of different experts that the tyres are/were ageing prematurely, their structure was starting to break down, and that I should change them as soon as possible!!. This aging might also make them hard and more noisy than they would normally be. Also - because they are less than 5 years there is a strong basis for for financial compensation against purchase of a replacement set of tyres. I have taken detailed pics of the cracked tyres, if they are of use to anyone let me know.

So - after trawling the internet tyre sites and other club forums in search of a tyre that was slightly more biased toward refinement I elected for set of Falken ZE912's. Fitted them lunchtime today and I have to say that on the first 80 miles driving they were exactly what I was hoping for. Not sure if anyone else has fitted these - would be interested to know what experience people have had with them, if any. If not I'll post some updates on them as they bed in.

On the car phone - not fully sorted yet as coming up to contract renewal time and the car link will be part of the discussions - but at least I know it works with my current sim card.

Roof box - not had time to look into it further yet but very interested in 'gmerry's' C6 roof stroage/stowage adventure - an pics yet mate?

Oh and the delivery dent on my front wing has now gone so some more pics may now come along.

Cheers all.
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 16 2010, 11:08pm

Member No: #1
I will be interested to hear more on the Falkens as my front tyres will need replacing in the foreseeable future
Website
michaelb   
Wed Feb 17 2010, 09:41am
Member No: #14
DaveB,

Very interesting. I noticed these ageing cracks on my Michelins too. When I bought the car they were only two years old and only 10,000 miles. I assumed it was just the hard life that a heavy car gives them, I didn't think for a moment it would be the basis of a claim. One pair has been replaced now - with matching Michelins - but the remaining pair still has these cracks. I shall poke around a bit on the Net and see if I can find more information.

M
DaveB   
Wed Feb 24 2010, 09:02pm
Tyre update one week on - they started out much better than the Michelins that were on the car and have, if anything, actually got better in terms of noise and smoothness. On some surfaces there is now virtually no real tyre noise while on some of the worst surfaces there is still some but it is considerably reduced. Not noticed any difference in grip but the weather has not really been right to explore this fully.

What I would say is that my comments are comparing new ZE912's to the Michelin's which were clearly not at their best. To be absolutely objective/fair I'd need to compare with new Michelin's which is not likely to happen.

But - So far I have absoultely no complaints about the Falkens performance let alone the price benefit.

Apparently it will be some weeks before I hear back about the claim but I'll post the reply when it comes through.
aspire2b   
Wed Feb 24 2010, 10:02pm
Member No: #60
Good evening everyone. I happened upon this site tonight and after a lot of reading am very impressed with the layout, ease of use and knowledge of the C6 owners. I am a C6 owner, having bought my exclusive two months ago in Birmingham. The car is very impressive and drives superbly. It has all the gadgets and sets itself aside from all other cars by being different, which is why I bought mine. Great site, hope to learn a lot here.
C6Dave   
Wed Feb 24 2010, 10:59pm

aspire2b wrote ...

Good evening everyone. I happened upon this site tonight and after a lot of reading am very impressed with the layout, ease of use and knowledge of the C6 owners. I am a C6 owner, having bought my exclusive two months ago in Birmingham. The car is very impressive and drives superbly. It has all the gadgets and sets itself aside from all other cars by being different, which is why I bought mine. Great site, hope to learn a lot here.

Nice to have another C6 owner on site (just upgraded the account so you can see a bit more )
Website
DaveB   
Wed Apr 14 2010, 08:22pm
As promised - Just an update on the Falken ZE912's tyres and tyre claim from Michelin.

No real change of character in the tyres from when they were fitted and have now done a couple of thousand miles on them - so all good.

The Michelin claim settlement arrived nearly 8 weeks to the day from when it was sent in, which is what I was told to expect. They offered effectively 50% off the price of a new set of tyres - they don't have to be Michelin.

I sent in all four tyres and each was treated individually with its own claim reference. Each tyre was assessed individually and a differeing ammount was offered for each tyre varying from 65% to 30% - this coincidently averaged out at exactly 50%.

So the advice is if you have a similar tyre aging problem to mine go to a reputable tyre fitment source and get them checked over. I spoke to three different garages before starting the ball rolling and they all seem familiar with the claim procedure.
C6Dave   
Thu Jun 17 2010, 09:46am

Any more information on the tyre claim procedure, where you get the form from, how to send the tyres and where etc.? so we can add it here: - Click Here -
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club