Bad Youtube Reviews!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
chillmax   
Thu Apr 27 2023, 12:14pm
Member No: #1648
Hi All

As one does on the odd occasion, I've been looking at car videos on YT and came across 'Hubnut' driving his friends C6, which he apparently bought for £750.

'Hubnut' himself, to me seems to be a typical fan of older Citroen and his mechanic friend 'UPnDOWN' appears equally so. He is very fond of big old floaters XM's BX's Xantia's etc, but is much less flattering of his C6, has anyone seen him?

I left a few comments and he shot back quite promptly stating that the C6's suspension and driving abilities just aren't that impressive compared to an XM for instance. In a quick back'n'forth, there was nothing I could say to sway him that a sorted and well looked after C6 is arguably the best Citroen suspension ever. How can he trash the C6 when he bought a basket case for £750? He then said that all of the C6's he'd driven weren't that impressive, so I said that all of those cars likley had problems or maintenance issues and were't right; that was the end of the conversation.

Having had 19 XM's, with 5 late series 24v's and a C6 at the same time, I can assure him that although a lovely XM can be very nice, it simply can't touch a correctly running C6.

Thoughts anyone?

Best - Justin
Website
tich731   
Thu Apr 27 2023, 12:18pm
Member No: #3023
I have an XM and a C6, and I would agree that the XM is very capable and can be hustled along, the C6 though is more wafty and luxurious.
adamw57   
Wed Jul 05 2023, 05:28pm
Member No: #5259
I’ve never been in an XM sadly but I’ve owned 3 C5 X7s with various engines and a non-hydractive Xantia (new spheres and LHM) and they certainly couldn’t touch the C6 for ride quality. On paper the C6 should have the superior ride in my opinion - double wishbone suspension and Amvar damping. I reckon a CX would give it a run for its money however.

As for Hub Nut, I’ve enjoyed his videos and generally respect his opinions on cars but as you say, a £750 C6 is probably not a good comparison. I also believe he mentioned in one of his videos that he drove a 4 cylinder C6 which I believe doesn’t have Amvar so perhaps that’s why he’s underwhelmed?
Jamess   
Thu Jul 06 2023, 11:11am
Member No: #5301
The UpandDown C6 YT videos have had quite an affect on me.I had an XM for 10 years with no real issues, so don't have a pre conceived idea about odd citroens being unreliable etc. Think its because its a mechanic struggling to fix things, with more skill and facilities I will ever have, so a bit off putting - rather than a punter saying they are good/bad which you can take as opinion. So I went from probably going to get one before they are all gone, to really not sure. Certainly wouldn't buy one from a car dealer who would know nothing of its history and maintenance.
C6less   
Fri Jul 07 2023, 07:38am
Member No: #3841
Hi Justin,
Are you running your c6 on Irish roads?
onthecut   
Sat Jul 08 2023, 08:39am
Member No: #2793
Hi James.

My feeling is that if you do enough reading and listening, you would never buy any car that was remotely different. The XM used to get just the same sort of press as I recall. When you think about it, the C6, with the exception of the suspension, is no different to any other comparable size and price bracket car of the time and therefore any more or less prone to problems.
I've had mine about 7 years now and done around 60k miles in it (taking the miles up to 150k so far). In that time, the only absolutely specific Citroenesque issues I've had to tackle are both front struts (leaking) and failure of the suspension pump.

Given the relatively few C6 they made altogether, I do think that parts specific to it will become a real issue in due course. When I recently replaced the other front strut, I was amazed to see sonmething like a 2022 manufacture date on the new one, but then couldn't help wondering if it was part of a final batch.

If you decide to take the plunge, the main thing is to take the prospective purchase for a good test run and put the suspension through its paces. Always look in the expansion bottle -- if it doesn't look like a clean anti-freeze mix, be suspicious.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club