C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Removing Drawer Between Rear Seats

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Candide   
Fri Apr 21 2023, 12:49pm
Member No: #3844
It always seems to be the wee things that trip me up!

I'm trying to locate the source of some very annoying noises that occur on certain uneven road surfaces and they're coming from the rear. It's not the door stays or the storage bins. It seems to be something underneath the rear parcel shelf but I haven't been able to ride in the back yet myself so I'm not sure where it's coming from. I've removed the central armrest and squab, then the tech document tells you to "Remove the drawer" - how?

I tried and tried and ended up pulling and the whole thing came out along with the metallic strip that provides the resistance - see pic. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I'm going wrong? When it says to remove the drawer, is it just the drawer or the whole assembly? I can see two nuts but they can't be accessed until the plastic assembly is removed.

cruiserphil   
Tue Apr 25 2023, 09:22am

Member No: #38
Hello Candide,

I had an annoying rattle in the rear of the car and it turned out to be a broken handbrake cable support bracket that allowed the cable to vibrate against the body depending on road conditions. I had stripped out the rear seats trying to find the problem. I can't remember how I pulled out the drawer. I'll give it a go and report back.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Candide   
Wed Apr 26 2023, 08:37am
Thanks for that, I actually managed to get the drawer back in with its metallic spring, it was quite easy. But I still cannot remove the whole thing.

Interesting about the handbrake bracket as mine is currently inop due to a broken ABS sensor. I'll ask them to have a look when it goes in for this repair. My cousin was sat in the back yesterday and I asked her to try to locate the noise. She seemed to think it was coming from the rear wheelarches somewhere but underneath, not in the cabin. I was surprised by this but maybe it's a clue that the noise is not coming from anywhere inside the cabin. The investigation continues...

cruiserphil   
Thu Apr 27 2023, 01:21pm

Member No: #38
Hello Candide,

The rattle from the handbrake cable sourced from the same area described by your cousin!

Best regards,

Phil C.
sotweedfactor   
Fri May 12 2023, 03:31pm
Member No: #2185
The difficult-to-locate-rattle-from-the-back that I had was due to the door-stay on the rear right-hand door. Does your door-stay work? Mine didn't. Water gets into the top of the door and pools on top of the springy part of the door-stay mechanism. Eventually it rusts through and bits drop to the bottom of the door cavity where they rattle like mad over uneven surfaces.
Candide   
Sat May 13 2023, 04:56pm
Thanks for that, I had already seen that same problem on this forum somewhere and had a look at mine which were fine, so they are now covered on grease! I'm hoping to get it in this week for various things and I'll ask them to check for anything obvious underneath as I'm beginning to wonder if it is coming from inside the cabin or outside/underneath.
adamw57   
Sat May 13 2023, 07:22pm
Member No: #5259
Hello, I too have an annoying rattle from the rear drivers side of the car. From the drivers seat it sounds like its coming from the rear door but anyone riding in the back of the car seems to think it comes from the boot area. It sounds like a fairly large piece of trim rattling, its quite loud and is also heard on uneven surfaces. Haven't been able to locate it yet.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club