Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 V6 thermostat housing replacement a DIY job?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Lofty   
Mon Apr 17 2023, 02:04pm
Member No: #5159
Hi all, I’ve got a slight leak from the thermostat housing on my 2006 2.7 V6. I’m mindful this will eventually fail completely and empty all the coolant. My question - How easy is it to replace, a DIY job?

I’ve replaced hoses and thermostats on other cars but if this is a nightmare I’ll leave it to the experts! Thanks
cit-rotti   
Mon Apr 17 2023, 05:11pm
Member No: #3753
Easy is relative with the C6 2.7 HDI and I don't know your "screwdriver quality".
In my opinion, it is one of the simpler jobs - after the replacement, it must be filled and bled.
You can find the instructions for this here in the forum under
Technical documents
C6 Coolant Circuit Drain, Refill and Bleeding Guide and
C6 Coolant Outlet Housing Removal Guide

Instead of the original refill device, a 1 - 2 litre plastic bottle can also be used.

Greetings Wolfgang
cruiserphil   
Wed Apr 19 2023, 10:45am

Member No: #38
Hello Lofty,

As per cit-rotti's comments. It is relatively straightforward with a bit of patience. Removing the support bracket for the boost pipe from the intercooler to the butterfly box that sits over the housing is a bit fiddly. Removing the triangular bracket on the adjacent engine mounting makes it easier.

Don't delay in changing it though. If it bursts suddenly while driving you may not be aware of it. Owners have lost engines as a result of it. You should also look at Vaho's tutorial to refit the low coolant alarm system. I fitted it and it saved me when the inlet cooling tank failed.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club