C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

MOT testing of electric handbrake.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Mon Mar 27 2023, 11:33am
Member No: #2793
While it's had its fair share of typical C6 issues, one thing that has never been an issue is the handbrake on mine. Every MOT it dutifully locks the wheels and pulls the car out of the rollers.

By contrast, we have a couple of C5s in the family (2008 and 2010) and every year the handbtake is just an embarrassment. This time, had it all reset with a diagnostic box of tricks and on the road it was clearly working fine. Get to the test -- hopeless again. The tester took the car out and agreed that actually on the road it didn't feel like the test result would suggest.

This has got me wondering whether this is something that can affect the C6 and what the issue(s) might be. Given the cars are stuffed full of electronics, it does cross my mind that a situation where one pair of wheels are completely static, while the others are turning with the gearbox in neutral is absolutely not a normal condition.
I know from previous ABS sensor failures that the handbrake is apparently knocked out by a duff sensor, so I wonder if aset of signals that makes no sense might equally affect it ?

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club