C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Leaking Rear Window

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Candide   
Wed Feb 08 2023, 10:08am
Member No: #3844
Having managed to trace the source of my leak to the rear window, I’m now looking for a good auto glass company to remove and refit the glass properly. I have no way of knowing whether this has been like this since new but if you look carefully and run a finger along the gap between the top of the ‘screen and the roofline you can see and feel that it sits at a slight angle, with the larger gap on the side where the leak is. Conclusive roof was provided when I took a jet wash to the car and saw the water run down the inside of the window, starting from about halfway up.

My insurance company use Autoglass but they stopped their “remove and refit” policy 2 years ago and one quote I’ve had from an independent glass company was around £1300 but they won’t do the job unless they have a new ‘screen with them, just in case. The actual cost for remove and refit is only £100 +VAT! I’m going to have another go at my insurers but currently it looks like I’ll be on my own if the glass breaks. There are some rear windows on eBay at the moment, both from Lithuania, with one at £285 and one at £260 but with £350 and £199 postage respectively! This would still make them much cheaper than buying new from Citroën but they would need to survive the journey from Lithuania intact.

If anyone has any recommendations for auto glass companies in or around Glasgow/Central Belt area that would be competent enough to be able to remove and refit without breaking the glass then I would very much appreciate it. Someone who's worked on a C6 before would be great but I understand that's probably just wishful thinking with such rare cars.

I'd also be keen to hear from anyone in the UK who may have a spare rear window that they wish to sell, please get in touch.

Thanks.
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Wed Feb 08 2023, 07:08pm
Member No: #615
Have you tried BartEbben.nl or DeVosAutodemontage.nl
Hattershaun   
Thu Feb 09 2023, 06:42am
Member No: #320
- Click Here -, in Hertfordshire are breaking a car, The rear screen is still present.
Might be worth talking to Michael McAndrew, who may have a spares car - Edinburgh area.
Candide   
Thu Feb 09 2023, 03:03pm
Hattershaun wrote ...

- Click Here -, in Hertfordshire are breaking a car, The rear screen is still present.
Might be worth talking to Michael McAndrew, who may have a spares car - Edinburgh area.

Thanks for the reply but that link wouldn't work, returned a DNS error. Was it supposed to "blautos.co.uk"? I'm sure my car was owned by one of them. How would I get in touch with Michael McAndrew?
Candide   
Thu Feb 09 2023, 05:44pm
AndreSMCXXMC6 wrote ...

Have you tried BartEbben.nl or DeVosAutodemontage.nl

Thanks for the response, I didn't see any suitable glass on their sites but I'll email them both anyway to check.
Hattershaun   
Fri Feb 10 2023, 06:11am
Member No: #320
Candide wrote ...

Hattershaun wrote ...

Thanks for the reply but that link wouldn't work, returned a DNS error. Was it supposed to "blautos.co.uk"? I'm sure my car was owned by one of them. How would I get in touch with Michael McAndrew?

Yes, it's B.L.Autos. Try this link - Click Here -
I was there yesterday & mentioned your hunt for a screen. Robert remembered your car, it was his when nearly new, then a customer of theirs for many years/miles.
Michael is on this forum as MGMike.
MGmike   
Fri Feb 10 2023, 12:40pm
Member No: #3151
My bad for not checking in for a couple weeks.
PM incoming Candide.
Candide   
Tue Mar 21 2023, 09:41am
UPDATE: I eventually found a small glazing company that offered to apply some new sealant which they have done very well, making a very neat job such that you can only tell when you are very close to it and you know what it should look like when compared to another C6. Typical of Scotland, immediately after the repair it stopped raining for ages but there has been enough rain by now to prove that the boot itself now remains dry. The guy that did the work warned me however, that the bonding around the window had failed so there is now the added concern that my window is not fully attached to the car! Hopefully this new sealant will last long enough until I get this matter resolved properly.

Now I have another problem!

Maybe this was a "Friday afternoon car" as they used to call them, because my driver's side rear window is also leaking! The small rear quarter window shows condensation on the inside when it's raining. This was there before but I thought it might be cured by the main repair but it's obviously a separate thing. This is much less of a headache than the rear window and much less expensive to deal with if it breaks but I'm hoping to be able to use some sealant repair, once it's not raining and everything is dry.

What would be really helpful is to know how to remove the chrome trim from this small window? Has anyone done this and is it easy? I'm pretty sure this would give me enough access to get the sealant in and then I will finally have a car that doesn't let in water!

Thanks in advance.

Lofty   
Thu Mar 23 2023, 10:16pm
Member No: #5159
I know the chrome door trim is held in with screws. On my car someone must have tried to prize it off and the end screws are broken and the trim bent. If done properly it should be possible to remove and refit properly. Best of luck!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club