C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

New owner - a few niggles…. Electrics, cracked window, boot leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Lofty   
Sun Feb 26 2023, 11:34pm
Member No: #5159
Hi all, great forum! I bought a 2006 exclusive HDi on New Year’s Day and have been very impressed. The car is know to the forum (NZE06) and the very kind and super helpful previous owners pointed me towards this forum, which is a fantastic source of info!

The niggles (which I haven’t found answers for in search results)

Electrical issues - the window controls on both front seats and rear aren’t working. Any suggestions? This began with drivers controls but now seems to affect all. I understand there is some kind of reset which can be done?

Broken drivers window - It seems occasionally the drivers window doesn’t drop for opening / closing, which has resulted in a cracked window starting in top left of the glass. I bought it like this and only on occasion has it caught the door frame. I’m planning to get the glass replaced on insurance. My concerns are; 1) will it happen again 2) the cost of the window replacement is over £1,600 so there a risk the insurance may write the car off. Are there any alternatives?

Boot water leak - I have the fairly common water leak in boot. This is the usual black plastic trim between rear light and boot seal but in my case the clips on the black plastic trim are broken clips. Any suggestions for how to overcome this?

Windscreen wiper - for a short while the passenger side windscreen wiper stopped working. Happily it started again. Any tips of do I just ignore it?

The drivers heated seat doesn’t work and the drivers side rear lounge pack seat adjustment doesn’t work. Any suggestions for an easy fix? If not I’ll live with it as is!

All in all, niggles aside it’s a fabulous car and one I intended to use for some big adventures! Thanks

MGmike   
Mon Feb 27 2023, 08:42am
Member No: #3151
Hi and to the mad house

Lofty wrote ...

Broken drivers window - It seems occasionally the drivers window doesn’t drop for opening / closing, which has resulted in a cracked window starting in top left of the glass. I bought it like this and only on occasion has it caught the door frame. I’m planning to get the glass replaced on insurance. My concerns are; 1) will it happen again 2) the cost of the window replacement is over £1,600 so there a risk the insurance may write the car off. Are there any alternatives?

Buy used for about £200. I have one if you need it. Send me a PM....
You might need a door lock mechanism if it fails to drop when pulled (assuming it's not a freezing day and all frosted up).

Lofty wrote ...

Boot water leak - I have the fairly common water leak in boot. This is the usual black plastic trim between rear light and boot seal but in my case the clips on the black plastic trim are broken clips. Any suggestions for how to overcome this?

I'm not sure which part you are referring to, picture? Water leaks are usually due to the spoiler to boot lid seal failing. An easy enough job to fix.

Lofty wrote ...

Windscreen wiper - for a short while the passenger side windscreen wiper stopped working. Happily it started again. Any tips of do I just ignore it?

Likely to be a motor on the way out! Again, used is probably the way to go (if you can find one!)

Lofty wrote ...

The drivers heated seat doesn’t work and the drivers side rear lounge pack seat adjustment doesn’t work. Any suggestions for an easy fix? If not I’ll live with it as is!

Seat heater is likely to need a new/replacement cushion but lounge pack needs more investigation. Pull the switch out of the door and check that's working first. It gets a little bit difficult after that!

Enjoy the car and best of luck fixing the niggles
Biggles1957   
Mon Feb 27 2023, 09:23am
Member No: #3337
I think your boot leak is more likely to be the seal around the spoiler 'tray'. it's pretty straightforwards to remove , clean off the old 'perished' sealant and apply new then re-seat.
Trainman   
Wed Mar 01 2023, 08:15pm

Member No: #86
Citropro in Bristol, may also be able to help
jamescarruthers   
Tue Mar 07 2023, 03:50pm
Member No: #1548
I have twice recently had my passenger side front door window replaced. Firstly, on my insurance, with no cost or detriment to my no-claims-bonus-- I think they consider windows to be a bit different to the rest of the car. Secondly, by Silver Shield windscreens, when it was damaged by someone else.

I'd try the insurance first and if you are worried, ask Silver Shield for a quote if you want to pay yourself.

On the second replacement, I made sure I had a full set of trim clips for the guy to install as he put the door panel back on.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club