New Owner.....A few questions!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Biggles1957   
Tue Dec 27 2022, 09:13am
Member No: #3337
Got my C6 last Sunday and am finding a few niggly issues:

The large speaker in the drivers door doesn't work - but I think the tweeter does (it's not very loud but...).

Cruise panel doesn't light up on the dash when any of the buttons are pressed. I dropped the shroud under the steering wheel (electric) yesterday and had a good twiddle with the wires to allow a bit of slack but I didn't disconnect and re-connect any of the plugs - panel still doesn't light up but is it only supposed to switch on when you're going over a certain speed (about 25mph I expect)? I couldn't take it for a drive after the twiddling so it was just stationery.

A few times now when I've started the car the radio/jukebox whatnot switches itself on!

Does the electric steering wheel just move up when you switch the ignition off to get out of the car, or is it supposed to move in as well? Is it linked to the seat/mirror memory?

I've tried setting the near side mirror to do it's 'dip' thing when you engage reverse but it seems to be a bit random and moves up to look at passing aeroplanes when you take it out of reverse!

I expect some of this is operator error but I'd be grateful for any advice! A

Any other owners near me? I'm in Leicestershire about ten minutes from M1 J21

Thanks everyone!

Bob

onthecut   
Tue Dec 27 2022, 09:58am
Member No: #2793
Someone much more knowledgeable than I will be along with good answers, I'm sure -- but on a general level, the first thing I would do is confirm you have a good battery, in a good state of charge.

Mine is an early one and doesn't have the self adjusting steering wheel, but I have had the issue with the reverse adjustment on the mirror. For quite a while it scanned the sky and then one day, entirely of its own accord, starting working properly.

The radio turning itself on may be a voltage issue, but we also have a C5 in the family which has exactly the same issue -- comes on randomly and at full blast.

Not quite certain what you are referring to as the 'cruise' panel. If it's the centre display panel, I have in mind there is a night setting that turns it off
--- that's in the handbook, somewhere. If you mean the main instrument panel is showing no sign of life, then it's a remove and have it repaired job.

As the car is new to you, I wouldn't be too fussed about any of the above -- the main thing you want to do is check and confirm that all is well under the bonnet.
Cooling system is top of the list; fuel filter -- because people tend not to; air and oil. When you pop the engine cover off (assuming it's a 2.7) you will find a number of plastic vacuum pipes -- follow them and check for cracks. On mine, they were horrendous. Cracks in them won't stop it running, but obviously better to be right.

If you're having a play with the suspension, take the cap off the reservoir before doing full ups and downs and be prepareed for it to push fluid out of the reservoir on a full down operation.

Have fun !

Mike.

Biggles1957   
Tue Dec 27 2022, 11:18am
Thanks Mike,

All mechanicals are good - it's been completely refurbished after a lay up by Wolsey House, so all new belts, spheres, thermostat etc etc. For the cruise issue I mean the small display top left of the panel in front of the steering wheel - where the lights 'on' indication is - according to the handbook that's where the status of the cruise appears.

When I started it up yesterday from stone cold it was a bit 'lumpy' for a short while then settled but I expect after sitting for a few years it'll take a little while to clear various things. It does run and drive very nicely.
Biggles1957   
Fri Dec 30 2022, 06:08pm
Update: I've sorted the cruise - dropped the under steering column shroud and made some slack in the wiring, made sure the connectors were fully home (didn't seem to be loose at all) and it all works fine. I've ordered a new brake switch as belt and braces.

Have just ordered some new speakers fro the front doors because I shall be taking the door card off to see what the issue is with the driver's side large speaker so thought I'd upgrade at the same time based on comments on the forum.

Nearside door mirror still playing silly [%*^#@!] and moving about when you unlock the doors even though the mirror selection switch is in the centre 'off' position so ....
321dave   
Sat Dec 31 2022, 11:56am
Member No: #614
Biggles1957 wrote ...

Update: I've sorted the cruise - dropped the under steering column shroud and made some slack in the wiring, made sure the connectors were fully home (didn't seem to be loose at all) and it all works fine. I've ordered a new brake switch as belt and braces.

Have just ordered some new speakers fro the front doors because I shall be taking the door card off to see what the issue is with the driver's side large speaker so thought I'd upgrade at the same time based on comments on the forum.

Nearside door mirror still playing silly [%*^#@!] and moving about when you unlock the doors even though the mirror selection switch is in the centre 'off' position so ....

cruiserphil   
Tue Jan 03 2023, 11:48am

Member No: #38
Hello Biggles 1957,

Member SSTech posted about a repair to the positioning feedback potentiometers in the mirror to solve the wandering mirror issue. The potentiometers can get dirty. The process requires opening the mirror unit. As a temporary fix, if it works, you could try exercising the mirror several times through its full range of motion using the adjustment buttons. This will move the two potentiometers about and may get it responding to the reverse setting! Do you save the reverse setting in your seat position memory?

Best regards,

Phil C.
Biggles1957   
Tue Jan 03 2023, 02:15pm
Thanks Phil,

Yes I saw that post but then forgot who it was from! I'll find it again... I thought I'd saved the settings correctly but someone told me you have to lock the car after adjusting and then unlock it again to save changes made. The nearside one definitely seems to have a mind of it's own - not necessarily doing the same thing each time!

Regards,
Bob

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club