Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Don't ignore a knock !

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
onthecut   
Wed Dec 21 2022, 04:27pm
Member No: #2793
I guess I'm not alone in being used to changing the lower bush in the front hub carrier --- it seems to be a very consumable item. So, when just before the recent cold weather I heard the typical knock of a tired bush, I decided it could wait until we were above freezing; it hadn't got to the point of affecting the steering noticeably.

Big mistake -- out on the road the other day, after a motorway run, suddenly felt like we had hit black ice - car all over the place.Set off again and within a quarter mile, a loud kncking and scraping. By now, the front LH wheel was looking distinctly out of true. As we were in the middle of nowhere, crept along the remaining three miles or so, very slowly.

It turns out that the knock had been the lower balljoint bolts loosening and the final straw was when it shed two of them. The subsequent knocking and scraping was the disc eating away the knuckle that carries the bottom bush. Net result -- scrapped hub carrier, bottom joint and disc. Naturally, have pondered why this occurred and the only event that comes to mind is that the original strut was leaking for a while, so there has been a fine misting of LDS about the place. Who knows.

For anyone looking at present, hub carriers are back ordered to January (and are just shy of £500!) It seems the Pug 407 (and maybe 508) use an identical piece, so Ebay provided a serviceable used replacement at a more modest £25.00

Settled for a Moog bottom ball joint -- it's SKF in the box (PE-BJ-3322). More importantly, Moog also do the bolts as a separate kit. (SWP432K). Previously, tried every Cit and Pug dealer for miles -- just one bolt between them -- absolutely pitiful.

Must give a pat on the back to Car Spares Distribution of Birmingham (01213336118) who had every single new piece on the shelf. Shame the main agents aren't as keen on their own product !

Mike.

cruiserphil   
Tue Jan 03 2023, 12:02pm

Member No: #38
Hello Mike,

Very unusual for the mounting bolts for the lower joint to to unscrew. There is a fair torque on them. Lucky it didn't let go!!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club