C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Driver's Door Mirror

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
tich731   
Wed Dec 07 2022, 08:00pm
Member No: #3023
My driver's door mirror no longer folds out when unlocking the car or when using the fold switch on the inside of the door.
It folds correctly and adjusts in all directions correctly.
Clearly the folding motor is working OK in one direction but not the other.
Any suggestions what could be the trouble?
cruiserphil   
Thu Dec 08 2022, 10:32am

Member No: #38
Hello tich731,

Check out sstech's repair post - Click Here - for indexing. This will also lead you to the folding motor circuitry. I will have to attempt this job soon as I have both mirrors not folding on our 3.0HDi.

Best regards,

Phil C.
tich731   
Thu Dec 08 2022, 01:32pm
Further checks show indexing for reversing works correctly. There is a momentary sound when the motor tries to unfold with a very small jerk of the mirror - maybe there is some obstruction/wear in the mechanical side, perhaps the various plastic pegs and dips that locate the open or closed positions? Sometime ago I cleaned and repositioned the sprung contacts where the motor meets the PCB to successfully resurrect a completely lifeless mirror.
tich731   
Thu Dec 08 2022, 02:19pm
Further checks show indexing for reversing works correctly. There is a momentary sound when the motor tries to unfold with a very small jerk of the mirror - maybe there is some obstruction/wear in the mechanical side, perhaps the various plastic pegs and dips that locate the open or closed positions? Sometime ago I cleaned and repositioned the sprung contacts where the motor meets the PCB to successfully resurrect a completely lifeless mirror.
Hattershaun   
Thu Dec 08 2022, 06:10pm
Member No: #320
tich731 wrote ...

My driver's door mirror no longer folds out when unlocking the car or when using the fold switch on the inside of the door.
It folds correctly and adjusts in all directions correctly.
Clearly the folding motor is working OK in one direction but not the other.
Any suggestions what could be the trouble?

Maybe try some silicon spray to lubricate the moving parts of the casing, particularly the base of the mirror unit where it drags on the plastic part attached to the car.

Also, worth checking & electrically cleaning/lubricating the wiring multi-connector between car body & doors - could be a break in a wire or poor connection.
Tjensen   
Thu Dec 08 2022, 09:10pm
Member No: #954
I had to change the multi switch on the inside door handle.
tich731   
Fri Dec 09 2022, 03:29pm
Tjensen, thanks for the suggestion. I checked the switch and sprayed it with contact cleaner and it seems to be working correctly.
Hattershaun, thanks for your suggestions. I sprayed silicon lubricant in the mirror housing and around the base. It does seem to move more smoothly but it is still intermittent and with a loud click at the end of its movement.
I've just checked with Lexia and operated all actuators for the adjustments successfully. The folding out and in were again intermittent even with a manual nudge to help it move.
Conclusion : It appears that the mirror may not know where it is. I don't know if the locating mechanism is faulty. When the weather improves I shall dismantle the mirror to have good look inside.
tich731   
Sat Dec 10 2022, 09:45am
This is an extract from "C6 - D4EABJP0 - Principle of operation : Rear view" in the Technical section of the website

URGENT : If forced to move mechanically, the rear view mirror folding back mechanism disengages . the
electrical status of the position of the exterior rear view mirrors no longer corresponds to the mechanical position
of the exterior rear view mirrors . in order to engage the mechanism and align the electrical status of the position
of the exterior rear view mirrors with the mechanical position of the exterior rear view mirrors, several folding and
unfolding commands may be necessary (depending on the initial status) .

This seems to describe the symptoms I have and yet although I have done many commands from the door mounted switch this has been without success.
tich731   
Thu Apr 27 2023, 12:12pm
A few months of manual intervention to unfold the mirror, but now the problem seems to have resolved itself. It has been working without fail during the last 3-4 weeks.
I hope that this success continues????

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club