C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

The dreaded White Smoke problem.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sidenham   
Wed Oct 12 2022, 03:19pm
Member No: #3993
I've had a few problems with mine in the past as you would have seen if you'd read my SAGA. This one is different, I have white smoke but not at startup, and not for letting the engine run 5 minutes at least. Then slowly there it is and continues to build up until it is more like a fog.
No codes to say it's fuel problems such as injectors, they are all good after the SAGA was completed. P0404 is now up and the rear EGR was replaced with a new one. Still comes back to P0404 after clearing the code. Now some were I read that the EGR Cooler could be the problem if it perforated somehow and allowed the coolant to get mixed with the exhaust gas recycling. This could account for white smoke. Cannot for the life of me see any other reason for this to be happening. I had noticed before that I was losing coolant, not a lot but it was going down a bit showing no signs of a leak anywhere. Any Ideas, anyone?
MGmike   
Thu Oct 13 2022, 12:07pm
Member No: #3151
Oh dear that doesn't sound good!

Not at start-up and not whilst warming up but gets worse when hot! I guess it's related to the pressure build up in the cooling system as it heats up. Sounds like another head gasket to me.

Another workaround could be to replace the coolant with Evans waterless coolant. It runs at a much lower pressure because it doesn't expand as much when heated to operating temperature. Have a listen to Rich on the subject - Click Here -

P0404 relates to the front EGR. I guess it's time to change that (or do as I do and clean it).

Good luck with it
sidenham   
Thu Oct 13 2022, 02:15pm
You would have thought that it was the head gasket but when checking for exhaust fumes in the water reservoir there are none. Re p0404 is that right? it's the front EGR, I've changed the rear and didn't even consider it to be the front one. Will have a look at that next and if it is I have a replacement already. But would that not just bring up the fault code and have nothing to do with the smoke/steam because I'm not so sure it is just smoke.
MGmike   
Thu Oct 13 2022, 02:46pm
Member No: #3151
P0404 EGR electric valve 2 (front) position fault : Electrovalve jammed

I don't think it's related to the smoke, that's another fault you have!

Hmm, no gases in the header tank would suggest the coolant is going to a low pressure area before getting back into the engine. EGR cooler might be a good call but which one! Take the EGR pipes off of the inlet manifold and see if one of them shows any signs of having been steam cleaned.
sidenham   
Thu Oct 13 2022, 04:26pm
Good call Mike will whip them both off and have a look-see.
Tjensen   
Fri Oct 14 2022, 10:33am
Member No: #954
I have a suggestion for the problem that is simple to fix (I had that problem with white smoke with a hot engine 3 years ago): The white fume is diesel escaping from a faulty washer at an injector. The fume is from diesel meeting a hot engine. My garage found the problem and fixed it in 30 minutes!
speedfix   
Sat Oct 15 2022, 08:21am
Member No: #1043
Not forgetting the buildup of brake fluid in the servo (vac from inlet manifold) if a slow leak over time from the brake master cylinder.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club