Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Cost of replacing EGR valves - and alternative?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
StuartA   
Tue Sep 27 2022, 02:50pm
Member No: #4909
Hi everyone,

2009 2.7HDi with 93,000 miles

Engine warning light came on so took it to the local Citroen garage to have the codes read. Showed faults with both egr valves. Symptoms are often, but not continuous, drop in power ... approx 10% of the time.

Garage now says it's an arm and two legs to replace them. They say 15 hours labour and new parts, totalling €1550, or £1380 at today's (very low!) exchange rate. Seems very high to me.

So firstly, does the cost sound about right?

Secondly, have read previous forum history on the wisdom or otherwise of blanking off the valves., but that was several years ago. What is the latest view of doing this, please?

Many thanks in advance,

Stuart
cit-rotti   
Tue Sep 27 2022, 05:22pm
Member No: #3753
Closing the EGR valves is not enough - it does not eliminate the error messages. And because emissions are relevant, no TÜV.

The better/cheaper way is to have the EGRs programmed out and then close them with a plate (both of them, of course) in order to eliminate the consequences of the contamination.

This is not permissible in principle, but it is an advantage.
No more silt gets into the intake tract - performance improves - no more jerking - no more error display and its consequences, etc.

MGmike   
Tue Sep 27 2022, 05:27pm
Member No: #3151
Hi Stuart,
15 hrs is a little high but not by much unfortunately. There's two methods to replacing them;
1, with engine in situ which is a right pig of a job.
2, Remove engine. While this seems like madness for two EGR's it is potentially the easiest route because access to them is so bad.

I've done a number now and, as an amateur, struggle on with 1 above but given the costs of a proper repair, I would seriously consider mapping them out. If mapping out your will also have the opportunity it increase the power output which makes the C6 even more impressive on the open road.

regards

Tjensen   
Wed Sep 28 2022, 11:39am
Member No: #954
Often the problem is clogging and that may be better with some long-distance driving with an additive to the diesel. Very simple and cheap! I had some error messages (stored in the system)a few years ago and they just disappeared. Now 220 000 km and no problems. (But mine is a 3.0 Hdi and I think the EGR system was improved from the 2.7)
StuartA   
Wed Sep 28 2022, 12:13pm
Thank you everyone.

I used an additive (not cheap over here at €50!) on my last UK trip, with over 1500 miles of motorway driving, and deleted the engine code. It still reappeared a couple of times, but the car drove normally. Now back to local runs - half-hour approx - and always use premium diesel.

Check light has returned and the codes are P0404 and P1351 from my basic OBD reader. The dealer told me his scan showed both egr valves have a permanent fault. The car does now suffer occasional power drops but I can usually drive through them by easing off the throttle and then gradually feeding it back in.

I'm minded to have the egrs blanked off and the ecu reset, plus a performance remap whilst in the shop. I've seen the following offer this:

Angel Tuning
Celtic Tuning
Atlas Remapping.

Does anyone have any recommendations or cautions about these companies, or are there any good others out there, please?

As a long shot, does anyone know of anyone here in France?

I know I have ring up for quotes, but has anyone done this and can give me a ballpark figure, please? I may have to factor in a trip to the UK, but we can then stock up on essential provisions! ????

Thanks again,

Stuart
Fraunie   
Thu Sep 29 2022, 07:32am
Member No: #3763
I can recommend "4wards-performance" in Germany. You just send the ECU (return time from France should be about 10 days) and blank the egr valves...
StuartA   
Thu Sep 29 2022, 03:35pm
Hi Fraunie,

Thanks - that certainly looks to be a cheap option, but I would prefer to have the car done at the tuner's premises in case there are any glitches after the changes.

Stuart
StuartA   
Sun Oct 09 2022, 08:24pm
Update - found a place only 20 minutes away which can do both the EGR software change and tuning. Just need to find out if they can also do the EGR blanking plates, but suspect not.

Still, finding that resource out here in the sticks is a pleasant surprise.

Fraunie   
Mon Oct 10 2022, 08:39am
Member No: #3763
You'll find the blanking plates at ebay...
StuartA   
Fri Oct 14 2022, 06:30pm
Thanks - tuning guys say just to electronically disconnect the valves, no need for blanking plates. Are they necessary?

Further problem ... after egr delete and remap, engine will not rev above 3000 rpm without throwing a code saying the actuator on the rear turbo has a mechanical problem. This would fit in with the intermittent power drops I was experiencing.

Any idea of the cost of replacing the part at a dealer, please? I can't seem to find this on t'internet.
MGmike   
Sat Oct 15 2022, 05:54pm
Member No: #3151
no need for blanking plates IF the EGR's are working and able to close fully. default position is closed.

At a dealer they'll want to replace the complete turbo! Big bucks. Chances are it's a known electrical fault with the actuator. It might be better to look for an independent who is prepared to remove the actuator for you to send somewhere for repair.

StuartA   
Thu Oct 20 2022, 10:40pm
Thanks Mike - there is an indie in Bergerac so will try him first.

Cheers,

Stuart

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club