Centre screen

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
GTBAML   
Wed Sep 14 2022, 04:05am
Member No: #3005
Hello
I am a retired 2009 C6 Exclusive owner who needs some help.

I was recently diagnosed as needing a heart pacemaker. Whilst waiting for the pacemaker 3 days before fitting I had a stroke. I have recovered well but can not do as much as I did before.

Before the stroke the centre screen intermittently would cut out. MPH would turn to KPH. No radio etc. When this happens the logo remains on the screen. When the screen worked or comes back on the screen was bright and full. No lines or missed pixels, radio etc all worked again.

I figured power going to screen, the screen ok when it worked it must be data cable. I bought cable on E Bay fitted it made no difference.

Someone suggested a reset and cleared the fault codes. I have a cheap scanner but I have seen some members say these scanners don't completely clear fault history.

I am in Littlehampton Sussex. I can no longer do much work myself on the car. I don't want to get caught up with main dealer. I don't want to sell my car as like most of us I like it a lot.

Any suggestions or help well received. I am in West Sussex bt happy to travel if anyone can help.

Geoffrey
jamescarruthers   
Wed Sep 14 2022, 10:35am
Member No: #1548
Hey Geoffrey,

Sorry to hear this but glad to hear you are trying to keep the car going. I do have a Lexia but am up in Cambridge. It does rather sound to me like low battery voltage or an actual fault that needs fixed, rather than just a case of clearing codes being some sort of magic solution.

The dashboard screens can fail (but be repaired!) but this should not affect the central screen.

I’m making an assumption here but have you maybe not been driving it much at all? How about giving the battery a good charge, or replacing it if it is old. These cars can go a bit haywire with low battery voltage. If you are going to disconnect the battery, remember to drop the door glass down a little bit before you do so or you could break it opening the door with power off!

After a good charge, search on here for “BSI reset” procedure. If you don’t have a battery charger, I can recommend the Optimate 6 which will take a day or two to charge and test your battery, giving you advice as to whether it needs changed or not. Once the battery is charged up, if you aren’t driving the car, you can leave this type connected so it will always be ready for you to drive if you aren’t using it much.

If you are happy to travel, then if you can’t resolve it yourself, BL Autos in Welwyn Garden City are the experts on this car so if they can’t fix it, no one can. And they won’t rip you off or fob you off like a main dealer, who have zero experience on this complicated old beast now.
MGmike   
Wed Sep 14 2022, 11:50am
Member No: #3151
Hi Geoffrey,
Good to hear you're on the mend if a little more restricted than before.

This sounds like a radio head unit fault which is not uncommon. They can be fixed but it might be easier to get a good used one from someone.

What year is your car?

GTBAML   
Thu Sep 15 2022, 12:25pm
Member No: #3005
Registered 2008 but manufactured a bit before
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Fri Sep 16 2022, 02:32pm
Member No: #615
Most likely a hard disk error

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club