Variable power steering assist

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ozeddy   
Fri Aug 05 2022, 10:45am
Member No: #5052
Hi all,

My searches on variable power assistance have not raised the problem I seem to have.

I read that our RHD steering's level of power assistance changes according to speed and driving conditions. I read that it is meant to be finger-twirlingly light while parking and heavier at speed and in corners.

It seems to me that, in my car, it's the opposite. It seems to be finger-twirlingly light while at speed on the motorway and heavier when parking.

Could it be that there is something sinister happening here? Or am I expecting a more pronounced assistance perhaps? Would this behaviour make any sense, would you happen to know, please?

It's hard to say for sure but I seem to recall that, in my old CX, the experience of the assistance was clear.

Thank you,
Eddy

RHD 2.7L HDi
Tjensen   
Fri Aug 05 2022, 11:18pm
Member No: #954
The CX DIRAVI steering was fantastic! (also SM and some XM). C6 has ordinary power steering, maybe different versions on 2.2 2.7 and 3.0 Hdi. Your experience is consistent with a classical "fixed-power assistance" (or just with a small variation). Heavy at standstill/parking and lighter at speed. Is the 2.7 version variable and how variable is it ? I read that the 3.0 Hdi from the 2010 model got upgraded variable power steering. That is what I have, but it is still a different world compared to the DIRAVI. My C6 is not too light at speed, but sometimes a bit heavy at slow speed (depending on tires). The CX had more precision and the combination of finger light at slow and more control and stability at speed, becoming too heavy to do dangerous mistakes at extreme speed.
ozeddy   
Fri Aug 05 2022, 11:51pm
Member No: #5052
Makes sense. Thank you, Tjensen

Eddy

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club