C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7hdi oil leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
DarkShander   
Sat Jul 23 2022, 11:20pm
Member No: #4520
I was recently in a car at the diagnostic check-up. I have an oil leak on the back of my engine. Oil runs down the exhaust pipe, the entire pipe is wet with oil
The top of the car is dry. The car only goes to the mechanic in a month. I would like to ask if anyone knows more or less what the oil can come from?

Sorry for my English but I write with a translator.
ozeddy   
Wed Jul 27 2022, 12:03am
Member No: #5052
I have no answer but have the same problem. I am told a knowledgeable friend that a leaking diesel return pipe at the top & rear of the engine could be the cause. I tried to have a look with my torch and made no progress.
MGmike   
Wed Jul 27 2022, 11:10am
Member No: #3151
If the top of the engine is dry the only possible sources for oil leaking down the back of the engine are:
1, Cam cover seal (but that's near the top and you would expect to see some evidence on the injector rail etc.
2, Head gasket line below the exhaust manifold (but that's unlikely to be sufficient to wet the exhaust).
3, Turbo oil feed or return pipe. My money is on this.

ozeddy   
Wed Jul 27 2022, 10:48pm
Thank you, MGmike.
onthecut   
Sat Jul 30 2022, 10:13am
Member No: #2793
Another piece to consider is what I think they call the oil separator, that sits in the valley of the engine at the gearbox end and is a push fit into two seals on top of the engine and another on the device it connects with at the back (gearbox) end of the engine.
I removed it when I did the glow plugs and replaced it without doing the seals, which are quite a tight interference fit in the valley cover. Subsequently, noticed oil starting to appear underneath the car and an increasingly perceptible degree of loss. With all the clutter on top of and around the engine, it really is very difficult to establish where a fluid might be emerging. Anyway, decided to remove this piece afgain and do the seals.

I imagine there is a Citroen tool to remove them, but in the absence of that I used a coach bolt with a head that would just pass through the seal and which you can then hook under the bottom rim of the seal. Made an adaptor to join it to a small slide hammer and by gradually working around the rim of the seal and knocking upward, they came out. Compared to the new replacements, the sealing part was rock hard. As far as I can presently tell, I think it has resolved my leak.

To properly access the job, I removed the filter box, pipe to the back turbo and the stainless pipe that runs over the top of the engine. Once you've done all this, you are only a few mionutes more work away from being able to access the fuel pump belt, so if you haven't changed it in living memory, a good time to do so.The belt and tensioner change is a piece of cake as there is no timing involved.

Unlike last time I did the belt change, most motor factors now only supply a complete belt set (i.e. cam belt and bits and pieces also). I found that Dayco do still list it as a separate item and got one from our local Land Rover shop. I didn't check if Citroen offer it loose as it was a bank holiday and I think they were shhut until the end of time.

Mike.
ozeddy   
Sat Jul 30 2022, 11:54pm
Thank you so very much for your comprehensive reply, Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club