C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

The ride

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ozeddy   
Tue Jul 26 2022, 11:50pm
Member No: #5052
I have read a few posts on ride quality and a question remains for me, which I hope one of you might be able to clarify for me, please.

The Main Irritant:
My recently acquired 2.7HDi has 70,000 miles on the clock. Its Michelin pressures are set at 37psi front & 35psi Rear. Driving on normal suburban roads (30mph-35mph), I feel the coarseness of the texture of the road. On the motorway, the ride is generally smooth though it might be due to the smoother road surface. This coarse ride, where I feel the road's texture, seems to be uncharacteristic to me. The ride setting is not on Sport and so, all 7 spheres are actively basking the occupants - 90% of the time: just me.

Possible reasons: Could it be excessive tyre pressure (coz it kinda feels like it)? I doubt that it's a ball joint issue as I don't get knocks or rattles as such. I know I do need a new RH Upper Engine mount, for which I'm in the global demand queue, and wondered if the vibration transmission from the engine could be a culprit or exacerbate the rough ride feel.

A possible indicator:
On suburban roads, when I drive over a surface that drops suddenly a little, I feel a 'fop' in the suspension as the front wheels drive down over the unexpected road drop. I don't feel that 'fop' reaction in my other normal (German) car. However, I think I may have felt that 'fop' in a recent C5 I no longer have.

Bottom line is, the ride is disappointing, driving around the suburb. And, a friend's 2.7L HDi clearly has a smoother & therefore quieter suburban road ride and both he & I are at a loss as to why the difference.

I'd be very grateful for any pointers you may have,
Eddy

eke   
Wed Jul 27 2022, 04:34pm
Member No: #624
I think you should check the ride heights of each wheel of the car. If the heights are not correct, it surely affects the ride comfort in a bad way
ozeddy   
Wed Jul 27 2022, 10:45pm
Member No: #5052
Thank you, eke

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club