C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Car overheated

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Radox   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 06:33pm
Member No: #4044
Hi, unfortunately I have bad news. My car has been running normally lately, but a few days ago, I noticed a little bit of coolant was gone. I topped it up.

Today, after arriving home from work and switched the car off, I noticed the front fan blowing at INSANELY high speed. It stayed so for about 5 minutes and then turned itself off. Coolant was again very low. I topped it up again.

And finally, about 2 hours ago, I had to do a short drive of about 10kms. Midway, the temperature gauge started climbing extremely fast, reaching from the normal mid point to the top in about 10-15 seconds. STOP light came up and the message "engine temperature too high, stop car immediately" showed on the display. I stopped in about 10 seconds at the first possibility near the country road and left the engine running. A little bit of smoke also came from under the hood (but not much). The temperature gauge started falling immediately and in about 20 sec reached normal middle levels. I waited for about 5 minutes and switched the engine off.

Coolant was way below minimum again and it is obvious my car is losing a lot of it. And there was smell of antifreeze while driving in he last few minutes befor the overheating.

I will have the car towed to my Citroen repair shop at Monday, because I have already scheduled a replacement of the faulty steering pump for then.

So, my question is, is there a change the engine hasn't been destroyed? It ran normally in the minutes after the overheating and the water temp fell immediately after stopping. The oil temp was at normal level.
If so, could it be a faulty water pump, or it is the thermostat? An could the badly squeaking in the last weeks steering pump have contributed to this failure somehow?

Fingers crossed.
Fraunie   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 07:12pm
Member No: #3763
Probably a leaking thermostat housing or a leaking coolant tube or the water cooler itself...
Any signs of coolant anywhere?
How much did you refill in total?
Radox   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 07:14pm
I refilled about 100ml a few weeks ago, about 200ml a week ago, and now i assume about 400ml more are gone.

I don't see any coolant on the engine, but it smelss heavily of coolant.
Fraunie   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 07:22pm
Your mechanic will find the leak for sure...
Radox   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 07:28pm
Fraunie wrote ...

Your mechanic will find the leak for sure...

But do you think the engine can be saved?
MGmike   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 09:41pm
Member No: #3151
from the fact that the gauge went up above normal, I would say you've been lucky and the engine should be okay.
Most terminal coolant leaks are from the lower components e.g. heater pipe and engine inlet manifold. When these fail and the coolant drops out of the engine and the sensor doesn't recognise there's a damaging increase in temp.

As Fraunie says, it's most likely a thermostat housing.
Fraunie   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 09:56pm
I think the moment you notice a loss of coolant in a more than 15 years old car, everyone of us should be on high alert and immediately exploring possible causes...

You don't want a thermostat housing cracking on a high speed drive on a motorway.
Then it is very likely that the engine might be terminated...

I don't know anybody who has replaced all parts of the cooling system preventively, but quite frankly, that would be the right thing to do, wouldn't it?
Radox   
Sat Jun 18 2022, 09:59pm
I changed the thermostat only 6 months ago...
Fraunie   
Sun Jun 19 2022, 08:45am

Probably the upper one.

There is another one on the front side and lots of plastic connectors too...
321dave   
Mon Jun 20 2022, 08:57am
Member No: #614
Fraunie wrote ...

Probably the upper one.

There is another one on the front side and lots of plastic connectors too...

Radox   
Wed Jun 22 2022, 06:08am
So, it turned out to be the thermostat housing (1336Y3) PLUS some plastic coolant pipe (1351KT). Probably the old pipe was broken and it overloaded the thermostat, which as said, I changed only 6 months ago.

The engine looks fine, no damage.
Fraunie   
Wed Jun 22 2022, 01:42pm
Good news!
Maybe they have used a cheap thermostat housing.
There are some aftermarket parts available made of lesser quality...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club