C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Heater blower removal and replacement

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ThoreT   
Mon Apr 25 2022, 10:41am
Member No: #4807
My blower has developed vibrations, probably worn bearings, so I'm looking at replacing it.

Has anyone here performed this job? It looks like the steering collumn airbag (left hand steering wheel) needs to be removed. Any insight or tips for this job would be appreciated!

-Thore
MGmike   
Mon Apr 25 2022, 06:29pm
Member No: #3151
I haven't done it myself but there's a document in the Tech section that describes exactly the steps you suggest.

I have taken the steering column and knee airbag out of a RHD car and again, there's a document in the tech section to help you with the steps.

Good luck.
ThoreT   
Sun May 01 2022, 05:21pm
Member No: #4807
Thank you, MGmike

Today, I removed the blower and reinstalled it. It was a journey through hell... It all looks like a walk in the park when reading Citroën's instructions, but in reality, it's extremely cramped and the blower is rather hard to get to (surprise, surprise....) I did not manage to remove the cowling under the steering column before removing the airbag, but removing them as one unit works well.

The great challenge is to actually maneuver the blower out. It sits deep inside, and EVERYTHING is in the way. You need to lay on your back across the door sill and bend your arms in really fancy angles. Back pain is mounting, and hands turn red from rash. Think I need to see the chiropractor this week... I'm sure there is some specific "route" to maneuver the unit out. I struggled for about an hour, and suddenly, it was free! The icing on the cake was when I found out that the new blower I had handy was the wrong type... However, I did find the cause for the vibrations. The annular ring around the fan blades had cracked in two locations. This caused a section of the blower ring to be flung outwards at high RPM, touching the housing. I fixed it by wrapping a couple of turns with carbon fibre rowing and epoxy around the perimeter. Refitting was the same adventure, more pain and swear-words, but now it's back in and works fine

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club