C6 Suspension pump motor connections

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
davygr1961   
Wed Mar 02 2022, 02:28pm
Member No: #4953
Hi folks,
I have been working on a friend's 2007 V6 Hdi Exclusive which was purchased with a few issues which we have been working through - the dreaded front inlet coolant pipe(replaced after about 14 hrs dismantling & refitting....nightmare!!): rear ABS sensor, various brake friction parts etc etc. The final issue was with the suspension - the car would not respond to changes in body height when the selector switch was pressed....the changes of height appeared on the display screen but the car remained in the one spot. Upon inspection underneath we found that all four of the little 'dog bone' links mounted between the suspension arms & height correctors were seized. We replaced all & also the height sensors which were showing faults on Diagbox. The car will now raise up to the respective correct heights BUT ONLY if I wiggle the connector going into the motor side of the suspension pump unit......has anyone else come across this issue? The car has only done 43k miles & I have confirmed by various diagnostic tests that the control box on top of the pump unit is receiving all the correct signals from the various body sensors thus allowing the car to lower correctly - as I said earlier it will rise up but only if the motor supply wires/connector is manipulated. There are two connectors on the pump motor - the larger one has two wires, colour yellow & grey - I believe these are the 12v supply and earth to the motor? The smaller connector has one thin greenish wire which I believe is the 'trigger' wire which tells the motor to run for the required time raising the car to the selected height. These wires are obviously receiving power/signal but there seems to be a fault between the connector joints & the power being passed on to the motor...... these connectors attach to a black plastic section which screws on to the motor outer case & I am just wondering is it possible that there is a small break in the power continuity inside the black plastic casing??
(I have tried cleaning the connectors with electrical contact cleaner.)

Any suggestion would be gratefully received...

Thanks,
David.
MGmike   
Wed Mar 02 2022, 08:30pm
Member No: #3151
First off, well done you, your fault finding is impeccable and you are absolutely right in your analysis of the function of the two connectors and three cables.

It does sound like a bad solder joint inside the small motor control module. But, before diving in, I would put a couple of short leads between the plug and socket to ensure it's not just a faulty plug half of the connection. It's unlikely to be caused by a weak connector in the plug but better to check before moving on to the innerards!

Taking the little module apart is not as easy as it appears as it has a hidden screw. I have one on the bench in bits that I can take some pictures of but not until the weekend.

davygr1961   
Wed Mar 02 2022, 09:51pm
Thanks for your reply - some photos of the innards would be great when you have time.....I am determined to get this sorted!!!
davygr1961   
Thu Mar 31 2022, 10:19am
Problem sorted!!! A local C6 expert diagnosed a bad internal connection in the pump motor control module. They tried re-soldering all the contact points but could not obtain a permanent electrical supply. Through another contact we sourced a brand new, transit damaged pump unit from a later model C5(for an astonishing £100!!!) - we removed the motor brush assembly & motor control module connector and we now have fully functioning suspension with no error codes on Lexia.
Delighted!!!
cruiserphil   
Thu Mar 31 2022, 10:45am

Member No: #38
Thanks for the update!

Best regards,

Phil C.
MGmike   
Thu Mar 31 2022, 11:48am
Member No: #3151
result... can I have the old module off the side of the motor please?
PS. sorry about the lack of pictures, I missed that request!
davygr1961   
Thu Mar 31 2022, 07:36pm
I will check if we still have the old brush holder & module.....my friend collected the vehicle so I haven't seen what bits were returned. If it is there you may certainly have it.

David

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club