C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Another one bites the dust.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Nikolaj   
Fri Feb 18 2022, 08:10pm
Member No: #4047
I just reached the 200.000km mark, 201.036km to be precise, one or more bearing shells has most likely seized on the crank jurnals.

Given that I change oil/filter every 10.000km I just couldn't believe that this had happened so soon, I've heard LR's haveing issues, but always well after the 200.000km mark.

But talking to another C6 guy, who has now restored 3 C6 engines, he told that there was several companys making the crankshaft in the days, and one of chose didn't get the hardning process rigt, so approx 30% of the crankshafts were "soft", meaning that they would seize up the bearing shells between 160.000-180.000km give and take.

They discovered the issue in the middle of 2007, and customers that complained got a repair, but those that didn't, maybe because they hadn't reache 160.000km yet, was left in ignoranse.

I don't know how Jaguar and LR treated their customers.

Maybe if there hadn't been an issue with the oilpump being insufficient on the 2.7, the "soft" crank would have lasted longer, but combined, disaster came way to soon.

Before hearing above story, I was just about to buy a nice lowmilage engine build 2005, but with a 30% chance of a "soft" crank, I'll hold my horses, maybe an engine that has done 230.000km would be a more saft bet, on a good crank.

Have others in here had similar experiences!?
(my search in here came up empty.)
Tjensen   
Sun Feb 20 2022, 01:34pm
Member No: #954
If you widen the search here and do some internet general searching you will find many stories. LR changed engines on warranty in South Africa and it was more than a handful (more demanding driving pattern ?). Some C6 owners also had new engines on warranty. Hopefully, the quality problem with cranks/bearing shells was solved? But also late C6 3.0 Hdi have crashed their engines. From PSA there is a new part number on oil pump (more capacity) and a warning that the new thin 0-30 oil should not be used on cars from before 2011. I have a new oil pump in its box, but my garage do not recommend a change without experiencing any problems. They are, however, warning against high revs for extended periods (gearbox in sport setting) I am now at 215 000km with my 2010 3.0 Hdi.
Nikolaj   
Tue Feb 22 2022, 05:46pm
Member No: #4047
I was actually planning for the uprated oilpump together with cambelt change this summer, but that plan went down the drain.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club