C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

C6 Cold Weather Protection

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 11:14am

Member No: #1
On the C6 it's recommended to fit a 'snow guard' (Scandinavian cars get one supplied) when temperatures fall below +10c as the low temperatures reduce mpg

The part number is 7429.F0 and in the UK cost £71.72 (inc Vat) retail from a dealer. (one for a C4 costs a third of the price at £27.17 )

It may be worth considering buying one if we are in for a 20 year period of 'cold winters' as forecast in the UK.

Website
michaelb   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 02:28pm
Member No: #14
Or use a sheet of corrugated cardboard like the London Cabbies.

Come to think of it, you don't see them doing that so much these days. Fashions come and go.

£71.72 is, give or take, a fill of diesel - it might take a 20 year period to give a return on that investment
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 03:06pm

Probably correct in the UK, as it's a balmy 10c here today!

There are other benefits though apart from mpg, faster warm up and de misting are a couple.

Might also be useful for Tony over in Berlin.
Website
urb   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 06:41pm
Member No: #26
Salt used on roads here in Sweden and the "snow guard" prevents the salt from
attacking the condenser and radiator.
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 08:00pm

Thanks urb, another good point as we also get a lot of 'rock salt' applied to roads in the winter in the Northern UK and it is very corrosive.
Website
pclark   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 09:03am
Member No: #3
I don't have a C6 but I do have a C5 (current shape) and shown in the owners manual there is the 'snow guard' shown (very similar to C6) and it states that it's to prevent the build up of snow in front of the fan/radiator. It also shows something to move in the induction system on V6 diesel versions at low temperatures but as mine is a 2.0Hdi I don't know in detail what this is. Does the C6 V6 diesel have this?
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 10:52am

Not that I'm aware of on the 2.7 V6. Sounds like a summer/winter setting for the air intake you used to get on older cars but may apply on the new 3.0HDi V6.

Sounds like you turn it to move the inlet away from direct cold air entering in the winter

EDIT: checked the C5 Handbook and it is different:

Website
tonyrome   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 02:48pm
Member No: #15
I saw this in the owner's manual and was going to invest in one, then promptly forgot all about it. Dave mentioned it some time back and that reminded me to look into it again. However, I was unable to get a reply from the dealer here, due to the Xmas break. I'll check again, as the temperature is likely to be below 10C for some time yet but £70 seems like a rip off for a small piece of plastic which covers part of the grill! I'm sure a suitably sized piece of plastic from the local DIY shop, tie-wrapped to the front would do the same for £1, albeit in a less than stylish way . The £27 Dave quotes for the C4 is more than enough and makes you wonder why it's over twice the price for the C6 version...
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 07:15pm

tonyrome wrote ...

The £27 Dave quotes for the C4 is more than enough and makes you wonder why it's over twice the price for the C6 version...

My dealer contact said 'it's because it's a C6, if you can afford one well....'

It's Citroen's pricing policy, I can get it for around £15 less but have to pay postage so, no real saving

As Tony says, a bit of cardboard or heavy duty foil, whilst not as aesthetically pleasing, will do the job
Website
tonyrome   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 10:26pm
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
My dealer contact said 'it's because it's a C6, if you can afford one

Yeah, I suspected that might be the reason! If that's their policy, you should have asked the price when you've bought your C6 secondhand for less than the price of a Fiesta

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club