Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

National Car Test (NCT) - Republic of Ireland

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cruiserphil   
Wed Jan 23 2013, 10:37pm

Member No: #38
Lads,

If you're interested - Click Here -

I hope to have test reports posted soon.

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Wed Jan 23 2013, 11:36pm
Member No: #21
Interesting to see how they do it in Ireland: the test centres look pretty swanky.

Do they use the motorised table to check front suspension and steering. It looks pretty thorough compared to old school ways.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 08:44am

Member No: #1
To view Phil's Test Results - Click Here -
Website
drummond   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 08:45am
Member No: #238
Looks kind of similar to France. One would have thought that old cars (above 30 years) would have a Europe-wide regime, though!
Gobxoy   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 09:49am
Member No: #786
Phil your a heavy smoker compared to wife's
cruiserphil   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 10:46am

Smoker - Yes,

I noticed that! All I could think of there was that when we arrived at 07.55 we were asked to leave the cars running. My car was left idling for 8 mins more according to the test sheet. I think the main thing is that they pass. I've seen before that the reading can vary radically from test to test. I even thought 0.010 sounded a bit unreal. When they do the test on the diesels they rev out the engine to maximum (pedal to the floor) for several seconds. You have to sign a disclaimer beforehand stating that your timing belt is within manufacturer's spec.

G.

On your question, yes they do. Also vibrating plates to check shock performance and rolling road for brakes etc.

Thanks for the interest lads,

Phil C.
Gobxoy   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 01:47pm
Member No: #786
cruiserphil wrote ...

Smoker - Yes,

I noticed that! All I could think of there was that when we arrived at 07.55 we were asked to leave the cars running. My car was left idling for 8 mins more according to the test sheet. I think the main thing is that they pass. I've seen before that the reading can vary radically from test to test. I even thought 0.010 sounded a bit unreal.

Phil good answer, congrats on both passing, just makes a nonsense of the smoke test?

Like you say a PASS is the main thing. Carry on crusin
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 05:16pm
Member No: #1031
Congrats on passing, and on a more personal note, I think it's sooo cool that both you and your wifey drive C6s Awesome!

Now, regarding the timing belt and the aggressive revving - same here, in Romania - they revved the car like I've never seen it revved before - pedal to the metal for several seconds... I was like: "come on guys - test it, don't"

I have a somewhat related question: my car is now 191,000 Km (roughly 118,000 miles). The car's official & original service booklet states 240,000 Km as recommended service for the timing belt. As I will not be hitting 240,000 Km anytime soon (I do a max of 20,000 Km per year, so I will most likely cover the 49,000 Km difference in more than a couple of years).

Hence, I decided to postpone the timing belt replacing operation for now... What I am asking you Phil is - was this wise, or kind of stupid and irresponsible?!?

Thank you,
Sam
cruiserphil   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 08:23pm

Thanks Sam.

On the first matter it was actually my wife who suggested C6 first. I was very apprehensive as I like to look after our own cars and I thought the C6, with its complexity, would just be a step too far. I actually had a sleepless night on the day we bought it. But it's been great and when it was time for the XM to move on (I had a friend patiently waiting for that day), it had to be a C6 for myself.

Regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 08:45pm

Sam,

Stupid and irresponsible?.....No.

On the timing belt issue, my approach would be to allow a safety factor and change the belt earlier than recommended. I'd definitely go for it now. I don't know if timing belt material has improved but 240,000 km sounds a lot of km's and if you're a low km user like yourself the belt could be aged 10 years plus by the time it's due for change! We all know the price if it snaps! I always had a policy of changing timing belts at half the recommended life which might seem over the top for some. I'll be considering our cars at 120,000km.

You've seen the discussions on "sealed for life transmission oil" and "32,000km oil changes." Even my local friendly Citroen garage has recommended that I change the engine oil at 16,000km due to problems they are now seeing with other models due to carbon build up in oil galleys.

However, that's just my view on the timing belt. Some might say it's over the top and that's fine. Hopefully other forum members might like to give their views also!

Regards,

Phil C.
smihaialex   
Fri Jan 25 2013, 09:05am
Member No: #1031
Thank you Phil, much appreciated.

Next time I have some disposable income on my hands, I will definitely book the car for timing belt & tensioners replacing. I will also change the transmission oil, and perhaps even the accessories belt & tensioners...

I will most likely have to do the same for the C4 wifey is driving :P

Cheerios,
Sam
drummond   
Fri Jan 25 2013, 10:39am
Member No: #238
I agree with Phil's view on the timing belt; it's a simple change, and the alternative is £1000 minimum....

I change the oil every 10000 miles/16000 km, as well, and the "sealed for life" gearbox gets a double flush of new oil after 30000 miles. And with the latter- don't pay the Citroen príces for the oil, I used Mobil 3309 at about £10 a litre, (see infra).

Tim
cruiserphil   
Fri Jan 25 2013, 06:03pm

Sam,

Just on the auxiliary belt, it's very easy to change and the trnsioner has to be removed and refit for belt replacement. Auxiliary belt has to come off for timing belt change anyway. Remember there's an idler pulley to check as well while the belt is off!,

Regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Sun Oct 13 2019, 01:01pm
Member No: #614
I had the NCT this Saturday and unfortunately the car failed with one Major defect. Rear suspension. Tester noted that he found no leak on the strut, so I was wondering is the strut worm or maybe new rear spheres would get it passed?

Value for the rear:

Left 43% and Right 97% Anything over 30% is a major fail. Mine was a 51% imbalance for the rear.

All good otherwise.

I guess with original spheres and Amvar struts 140,146mls is the life of the rear suspension for the C6
C6Dave   
Sun Oct 13 2019, 05:16pm

Member No: #1
UK MOT tests the brakes for imbalance on rollers, but how do they test for imbalance on the suspension in Eire?

Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club