C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Timing belt change at Kwik Fit

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ChrisW   
Mon Jan 24 2022, 06:11pm
Member No: #1335
I am going to say something good about Kwik Fit!

At 82,000 miles and 13+ years I thought it was high time for the cam belt change on my 2.7 HDI. Phoned the nearest Citroen main dealer. Much sucking of teeth - "it's a big job that, I'll have to check". Call back an hour later, "no can do, we don't have the equipment any more, it's an old car".

Did some googling. Kwik Fit has a web page about their Master Technicians and their intensive training on cam belt changes. Called them, "yes, we can do that, I'll call you back with a quote". It was £680 for the belt and new water pump.

Job done a few days later. All good, car runs perfectly. Chatted with the technician who did the job. Yes it was a difficult job and took a day and a half to do but still charged the quoted £680.

Not much more than the £519 that Citroen charge for the same job on something simple like a C1. Their "fixed price servicing" excludes anything over 2 litres.

I thought I should pass on this information in case it is helpful. Kwik Fit now do virtually all repair work including suspensions, diagnostics, etc. They will be my first port of call from now on.

MGmike   
Mon Jan 24 2022, 06:19pm
Member No: #3151
Good on them for sticking to the quote but I'm not sure I would let them loose on the C6's suspension.

Did they change both belts? The one at the back runs the diesel pump.

Tjensen   
Mon Jan 24 2022, 06:28pm
Member No: #954
We have 3 belts: AUX-belt (generator, water pump, steering) is usually changed with the timing belt, but diesel pump belt is often left out. I just changed this last one at 215 000km, the two others at 130 000km. The failing of the generator clutch started the changing process at 130'
ChrisW   
Mon Jan 24 2022, 06:35pm
Member No: #1335
MGmike wrote ...

Good on them for sticking to the quote but I'm not sure I would let them loose on the C6's suspension.

Did they change both belts? The one at the back runs the diesel pump.

Thanks for your reply. They didn't do the diesel belt but quoted £90 to do this belt as a separate job. I'm not sure whether to do it or not. £90 is pretty trivial, so will probably go ahead.
MGmike   
Mon Jan 24 2022, 07:09pm
Member No: #3151
They'll regret that quote as well

The simplest of jobs made [%*^#@!] hard by all the pipes and cables around it. £90 is a bargain.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club