Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Alternator/Auxiliary/Serpertine/Fan Belt Noise

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
scrappydoo   
Sun Dec 21 2014, 01:13pm
Member No: #1724
My 2.7 has a noisy Alternator/Auxiliary/Serpertine Belt. spraying a minute amount of wd40 on it stops the noise but then it's back in no time. Can't really see what it could be causing it? Was thinking of getting a contibelt replacement but would this really stop the noise or am I looking at a new tensioner.

I've read about the crank pulley starting to break and causing noise but surely this can't be the case with mine if the minutest wd40 cures the noise?
321dave   
Sat Jan 24 2015, 09:06pm
Member No: #614
scrappydoo wrote ...

My 2.7 has a noisy Alternator/Auxiliary/Serpertine Belt. spraying a minute amount of wd40 on it stops the noise but then it's back in no time. Can't really see what it could be causing it? Was thinking of getting a contibelt replacement but would this really stop the noise or am I looking at a new tensioner.

I've read about the crank pulley starting to break and causing noise but surely this can't be the case with mine if the minutest wd40 cures the noise?

Hi Scrappydoo,
I'm also starting to develop a problem in this area. I can hear a small squeak coming from the area near the alternator. It increases with revs a little and goes away when engine has warmed up.

Kind regards
321dave

arconell3   
Sat Jan 24 2015, 10:15pm
Member No: #922
Most likely it is the alternator freewheel pulley which doesn't freewheel anymore. It is a common problem, occurring with age and mileage. You can easily get the defective pulley off and replace it with a new one, with the generator still in place working from under the car. Cit doesn't sell the pulley separately, the original part (mounted by Bosch) comes from INA, 535 0189 10, at around € 90-100 incl. VAT in the after sales internet market. (Part # only for the Bosch alternator on the 2.7 HDI, for other engines check the relevant alternator specs)
Website
321dave   
Sun Jan 25 2015, 08:42am
arconell3 wrote ...

Most likely it is the alternator freewheel pulley which doesn't freewheel anymore. It is a common problem, occurring with age and mileage. You can easily get the defective pulley off and replace it with a new one, with the generator still in place working from under the car. Cit doesn't sell the pulley separately, the original part (mounted by Bosch) comes from INA, 535 0189 10, at around € 90-100 incl. VAT in the after sales internet market. (Part # only for the Bosch alternator on the 2.7 HDI, for other engines check the relevant alternator specs)

Many thanks arconell3, I had come to that conclusion as well when I finally saw the belt running yesterday. The tensioner was moving aroundMany thanks for the parts number for the replacement pulley.

Any special tool(s) needed for the pulley to come away?

Kind regards
321dave
speedfix   
Sun Jan 25 2015, 10:07am
Member No: #1043
This is the type of tool needed, do check for the correct application for your alternator.

- Click Here -

arconell3   
Sun Jan 25 2015, 10:54am
Member No: #922
speedfix wrote ...

This is the type of tool needed, do check for the correct application for your alternator.

- Click Here -

Yes, that is correct. It is used to hold the pulley while undoing the central bolt. A proper vice grip will also work, but it ruins the old pulley. For mounting the new one, you can use a strategically placed screwdriver to hold the alternator shaft in place. Still, the tool works better, without the risk of damaging something.

Regards, Robert
Website
321dave   
Sun Jan 25 2015, 12:18pm

That's great, many thanks guys for the help sorting the alternator out. Hopefully I can remove fairly easily. Maybe a new belt wouldn't be a bad idir as well.

My dealer priced the parts earlier this week. The Auxiliary belt is €27 here and the full tensioner unit was €154. Thanks again.

Kind regards
321dave

sportmaserati   
Wed May 05 2021, 08:05am
Member No: #3998
Good morning everyone! Waking up an old thread, as I am having rumble from the auxiliary belt area as well. I have taken the belt off and spun all pulleys by hand to determine which one is bad. It turns out it is the idler pulley next to the alternator, but can't really find a part number for it. Could you nice guys help me out with that?

While I am in there I might change the alternator pulley as well just in case even, if it is quiet and free spins as it should
cruiserphil   
Wed May 05 2021, 10:41am

Member No: #38
Hello Sportmaserati,

The part number for the idler is 5751 E3. This is available as a non Citroen part. My motor factors were able to source me one based on the part number. The alternator pulley is definitely worth changing as a precaution. It can be changed in situ without removing the alternator. See posts on that in the forum. The pulley is not available as a part from Citroen so there is no Citroen part number. However the original bosch part no. is F00M391100. If you search on the net for this number you'll find options. Here's a link - Click Here - for example.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club