C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 starter motor problems: solved.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Leobx16v   
Fri May 22 2015, 01:32pm
Member No: #2090
Right I know a few people are having some problem so I shall share you with mine.
Firstly when starting cold it would turn over but too slowly to start but eventually does, and when cranking it would zap the battery power down to 8.5 volts. I cleaned all earths and lives to no avail, finally I decided to change the starter motor (what I thought in the first place, but I thought I'd see if there was a free way) and behold it was the starter. I imagine this being a common thing because the starter motor looks very much ford like and they dont last.

So I hope this helps.
e3steve   
Mon May 25 2015, 09:07pm
Member No: #1163
The starters I have seen and heard about [failing] are of Denso manufacture.

Mine gave the same symptoms as yours...
joopajaa   
Mon Dec 20 2021, 11:23am
Member No: #3261
anyone changed the relay-part solely? Seems very strange that the starter it self fails so early as many have reported. If one is using garage service it is clear that they always replace the whole starter and not (cheap) single part...
cruiserphil   
Mon Dec 20 2021, 11:38am

Member No: #38
Hello Joopajaa,

It's normally the bearings wear out.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Tjensen   
Tue Dec 21 2021, 01:11pm
Member No: #954
Different (more powerful) starter of different (Japanese) origin in the 3.0 Hdi, hopefully this solves the problem of the viscious circle: low voltage-->more cranking-->wearing out starter bearings. No problem for me so far (210 000km), but I keep the(large 100Ah) battery charged.
onthecut   
Wed Dec 22 2021, 11:51am
Member No: #2793
For various reasons I've replaced about four starters in the course of this year on our cars, including the C6 and it's very much brought it home to me that you don't realise how relatively lethargic a starter is getting until you fit a new one.
The C6 had got to the point of requiring much more cranking than it should and the new starter absolutely transformed it. The others I changed while doing other jobs and had the best access and even those which didn't appear problematic, there was still a perceptible improvement with a new piece. Most modern starters are not exactly over-specced, so it's not unduly surprising they gradually expire, made all the worse by the effect the voltage drop they then cause has on the rest of the systems.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club